All we have to do is complain and we will get it says Bob.

uawfactoryrat

This is a quote, not edited at all. Go here to read all http://www.leftlanenews.com/uaws-king-says-14-entry-level-hourly-wages-not-livable.html .

By Nat Shirley Friday, Aug 19th, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

<P class=social_gplus_width>UAW President Bob King stated in an interview today that raising the wages of entry-level employees, who have been vociferous in communicating their displeasure with current compensation levels, is one of the union’s top priorities in the ongoing labor negotiations with Detroit’s Big Three automakers.

King’s comments may be intended to placate second tier union members, who have not been shy about voicing their dissatisfaction with the current wage system

...My God if I had only known all I had to do Is complain about an unfair injustice like not getting a raise in nine years and poof it will be a top priority?

We've got to raise those wages so workers will want to stay and workers can support their families by working full-time in the auto industry,” said King.

...I want to stay more than the twenty years I have already put in Mr. Second Tier new hire...I want a raise too!

And finally,“They’re not representing us,” said one worker, speaking in reference to UAW management, at a rally in Detroit last Saturday. “They’re oppressing us"

....Welcome to the club buddy, its all you can eat.

You cant make this stuff up. They hire in knowing what we make, knowing what they will make.Then, they bitch and bitch about it and whamo...its a top priority?????

I haven't heard one thing that the majority of us want back listed as a "top priority". All I have read is what someone else wants for me, someone who is supposed to speak for you and me.

Who do I contact to get fired up for the high seniority workers?

• Like 1

This is a quote, not edited at all. Go here to read all http://www.leftlanenews.com/uaws-king-says-14-entry-level-hourly-wages-not-livable.html .

<P class=social_gplus_width>UAW President Bob King stated in an interview today that raising the wages of entry-level employees, who have been vociferous in communicating their displeasure with current compensation levels, is one of the union’s top priorities in the ongoing labor negotiations with Detroit’s Big Three automakers.

King’s comments may be intended to placate second tier union members, who have not been shy about voicing their dissatisfaction with the current wage system

...My God if I had only known all I had to do Is complain about an unfair injustice like not getting a raise in nine years and poof it will be a top priority?

We've got to raise those wages so workers will want to stay and workers can support their families by working full-time in the auto industry,” said King.

...I want to stay more than the twenty years I have already put in Mr. Second Tier new hire...I want a raise too!

And finally,“They’re not representing us,” said one worker, speaking in reference to UAW management, at a rally in Detroit last Saturday. “They’re oppressing us"

You cant make this stuff up. They hire in knowing what we make, knowing what they will make.Then, they bitch and bitch about it and whamo...its a top priority?????

I haven't heard one thing that the majority of us want back listed as a "top priority". All I have read is what someone else wants for me, someone who is supposed to speak for you and me.

Who do I contact to get fired up for the high seniority workers?

No one

• Like 1

Here is the complete article with the forum responses. The IUAW never intended for entry level to be a permanent rate of pay. It was negotiated in exchange for job security and products invested in our plants.

We received a windfall of investments that protected us and the entry level would be hired knowing the wage structure before they were hired. It’s called bargaining 101. We get investments-we must be competitive.

The entry level know the rates of pay, benefit package and a 401k member/company contribution pension and accept them when hired. These are the terms they are hired under.

Entry level is a good strategy that stops outsourcing and brings keeps investments in our plants. This is not new to the UAW. In the late 1980s and early 1990s John Deere and Caterpillar were sending jobs to Mexico and South America at a devastating rate. As a way to stop the huge job loses they agreed to the entry level. This entry level started at 30% of the work force and half the wages of the master wages.

Currently entry level at Deere and Caterpillar are at 15% and paid $25 per hour and the master wages are at $29 per hour.

Bob King is a strategist and has the ability to look in the future to protect all of our jobs.

The entry level is not new but an effective tool to get investments in our plants and uplift those entry level members contract after contract

Not a new strategy but an effective one. This was the IUAW strategy all along as history shows from Caterpillar and Deere.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

UAW President Bob King stated in an interview today that raising the wages of entry-level employees, who have been vociferous in communicating their displeasure with current compensation levels, is one of the union’s top priorities in the ongoing labor negotiations with Detroit’s Big Three automakers.

The $14 hourly wage currently paid to entry-level UAW workers is “not a livable wage,” King said in an interview with Automotive News.

First instituted in 2007 as a way to help American automakers survive the economic downturn and become more cost competitive with foreign companies using non-union labor in the South, the two-tier wage structure helps companies save money by paying entry level workers $14 to $16 an hour, about half the starting wage for veteran workers.

King said that the newly profitable Big Three are now in the position to better compensate auto workers. If they don’t, he implied they could run the risk of losing them to other jobs.

“We’ve got to raise those wages so workers will want to stay and workers can support their families by working full-time in the auto industry,” said King.

King’s comments may be intended to placate second tier union members, who have not been shy about voicing their dissatisfaction with the current wage system.

“They’re not representing us,” said one worker, speaking in reference to UAW management, at a rally in Detroit last Saturday. “They’re oppressing us.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Responses on the article from the public on Entry Level below:

Insensitive, 1 day ago

25 8

In 1986 I started in the automobile business as a helper for a mechanic. $3.10 was not a livable wage back then. Get over it. I would love to see the American car manufactures tell the unions to pound sand.

Reply jayjc08, 1 day ago

16 2

My feelings are you should be able to enter into any full-time job making near living wage. The gopher position you had back in 86′ didn’t pay enough I bet for you to pay rent and pocket a little bit, and I bet you hated it too.

They say living wage in NY is $11.50, in one of the highest taxed states, so they have no case for crying about $14 not being “living wage”. No, it isn’t enough to pay for a house, car, etc., but for an entry position it is good compared to most fields.

Does that picture of Bob King remind anybody else of a weasel?

Motrop, 1 day ago

15 1

The average living wage is around $50k a year for an average sized family, in all areas of the country where UAW plants are. Assuming 2 adults making the minimum, that’s $25k a year. $28k is decently over that. If you don’t live beyond your means, you’ll be fine. Stay at the job, do it well, and you’ll see that number increase over time. And if you don’t like that, leave your job, and give it to an unemployed person. They’ll appreciate it greatly.

rarson, 16 hours ago

0 0

You were making more than me. I started at $4.25 an hour ten years later.

amerikanst, 1 day ago

29 3

If you start off in this job at $14/hour and you can’t afford to live, you’re living beyond your means. Don’t procreate if you can’t afford it. Don’t live in a house if you can’t afford it. $14/hour is enough to afford an apartment, food, gas, insurance, etc. Don’t like it? Go to college.

Reply twinprop, 1 day ago

22 6

thats what union dicks do, they all live beyond their means. thats why they’re always crying poverty.

Smegley Wanxalot, 1 day ago

20 11

…. “If they don’t, implied they could run the risk of losing them to other jobs.”

Do they need help finding the door Bob? It’s the one that says EXIT on top if they can read.

Because trust me, there’s a line of people, mostly literate, who will gladly take their jobs at $14/hour building up outside the personnel dept. You UAW commie job- and company-killing leftist dumbass.

Reply smoeke, 1 day ago

20 2

Let the $14-$16 $ employees leave, If they are not happy that they even have a job right now,good riddance.

People come in fresh with no training and start making $28-32 an hour, BS, earn your raises over a 10 year period and then maybe you can make what the top payed hourlies make.

Reply teahead, 1 day ago

13 30

$28k/year is poverty.

Why is it that Germany is highly unionized, makes the best products in the world, exports 4x as much product as the U.S., can pay their workers a decent wage???

U cheap bastards would love it if America is the next China. Rich CEOs and workers making $2.00/hour.

Reply rarson, 16 hours ago

4 0

Newsflash: janitors don’t become janitors to get rich, and easy jobs don’t pay a lot of money. If you’re trying to live off $14/hr (which isn’t even hard, by the way… just stop eating so damn much and buying every stupid thing you see on TV), and you can’t do it, then you need to find another job that pays more. The solution is not to demand more money from your job that you don’t deserve simply because you’re too lazy to find another job.

steve333, 1 day ago

16 2

The answer is simple. reduce the other worker’s salaries by $5/hr and give it to the low tier workers.

Problem solved

Reply teahead, 1 day ago

10 14

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/19/infographic-wage-gap-between-ceo-and-employees/#continued

Why is it that the Ford CEO makes almost 20x the salary/compensation that the Toyota CEO or HOnda CEO makes?

Greed.

Reply WalthamDan, 1 day ago

16 1

The $14 hourly wage currently paid to entry-level UAW workers is “not a livable wage,” King said in an interview with Automotive News while dining on fresh lobster and filet mignon at his lake side Summer home ……

Reply Borat, 11 hours ago

0 0

But he is true proletariat: there was no report of knob polishing by member of strip dancer union at the same time.

TakeNotes, 1 day ago

12 5

That analysis was performed by an incompetent moron with the same liberal leaning view you obviously share.

Does that article and comparison take into account the fact that Mulally accepted $1 PER YEAR SALARIES while the company was suffering, or the fact that the reason the payout was so high was due to the fact that his stock options were first issued when the stock was at a 12-year low and due to HIS decisions rose dramatically later?

Of course not. It’s biased diarhea worried more about attacking smart business and successful companies and individuals so they can redistribute wealth to drunk and high unappreciate jerkoffs sitting pretty in their union jobs.

Read FACT before you spew NONSENSE. http://www.leftlanenews.com/auto-industry-executives-poised-for-major-pay-out.html

Reply TakeNotes, 1 day ago

5 5

Ammortize his wage over the years when he made $1 a year and when he finally got paid for the service NOT ONE UAW MEMBER COULD HAVE PERFORMED or contributed to, then tell me the payout was that high.

You imbeciles and your intentionally short-term memory convenioently overlook the entire picture.

Reply 85ZingoGTR, 1 day ago

7 3

Well I got news for you Bobby. The companies are playing the smallest violins in the world for you right now. They don’t give a sh!t. So learn to make it livable.

2 5

And I will pay anything to watch you try to sue them over it. I can use a good show. I will take personal enjoyment watching you retards lose horribly to them in court as they shake hands with their buddies in the supreme court.

Nihilus, 1 day ago

16 3

Right now I make $0 an hour. If someone called me up and said “Hey, would you be interested in working 40 hours a week at $14 an hour”, my response would be “ABSOLUTELY! When do I start?”

So I don’t shed tears for people who have Jobs and then complain they’re not making enough. You have a Job Dick. Stop complaining.

4 4

My point exactly. Even though I don’t know you Id trust your hands making me a car over theirs anyday. Because you are doing it with the motivation of simply having food on your plate. I’d totally support these companies cleaning house and putting people like you in who simply want to get paid. I hope everything works out for the best with you man.

rarson, 16 hours ago

0 0

I make $10.50 an hour right now. My response would still be the same as yours.

DetroitWatcher, 1 day ago

13 2

$28k for an entry level job that does not require a college education (and all of the expenses that go with getting a college education) is FANTASTIC. What color is the sky in UAW Land???

Reply iggibiggi, 1 day ago

8 4

Complaining about a starting wage of $14/hour?? Where can I find these people so I can bitch slap them all! STFU and be grateful that you at least have a job! God I hate the UAW!!!!!!

Reply Gymkata, 1 day ago

6 1

Entry level @ $14 an hour is plenty. If you can’t make that work in this economy then GFY-self. I’m sure that this isn’t for an overly technical job either. There are many people making less than this with college degrees.

Reply NRG, 1 day ago

6 3

Looks like Mr. King is trying a new version of the comb over. Soon he will look like Trump.

As for $14/hr, yeah that’s a little low these days, but it is still a liveable wage. Considering the economy, beggars can’t be choosers.

I sue to be in a union long ago and we got raises every 6 mths. I’m sure that part of the contract hasn’t changed, but who knows.

Reply Thunder Chicken, 1 day ago

6 1

There is a simple test to see if a business is offering a fair wage: If it has a line up of people applying for jobs, it’s offering enough money. If it posts jobs and has no applicants it’s not offering enough money.

In other words, if those poor souls making only $14/hr decide the grass is greener elsewhere and leave, and the automakers have trouble recruiting people to fill those positions, then, and only then, King has a valid point.

I’ve a feeling, however, that the mnaufacturers would have no problems finding workers for 414/hr…

Reply Breezer23, 1 day ago

1 1

That’s why competition works for employees as well. We can all compete for hire wages by promoting or moving on to a different company. $14/hour isn’t livable but it is your job to fix it.

Reply Breezer23, 1 day ago

0 1

Oops! I meant higher

bdizz587, 17 hours ago

5 9

im guessing all of you have never been in a union and if you were none of these comments would have been made, thats the whole point of being in a union and paying union dues. you pay them to have bob king negotiate and try and get you a better life especially when the company is making billions of dollars. all of you are jeolous that your not in the uaw. if i were you id just stick to finding things on the computer for you to bicker at or whatever makes your worthless lives better, keep typing bulls@&t on your cheeto stained keyboards, and learn to love the uaw and other unions cause they arent going anywhere. bob king for president USA!USA!USA!

Reply rarson, 16 hours ago

4 5

You’re an idiot. I worked for the government once. I was FORCED to pay union dues, because if I didn’t, I had to pay to for the privilege of not being in the union. I wanted nothing to do with it, because I’m not a moron and I not only realize that adding bureaucracy is a waste of money, but I’m also perfectly capable of negotiating with my employer on my own.

“bob king negotiate and try and get you a better life especially when the company is making billions of dollars.”

Bob King does nothing other than spout absurd soundbites (like “$14/hr isn’t a livable wage”) and suck up your money in the form of dues. See, Bob’s not actually getting anything accomplished. Even if he negotiates something, he’s still not adding value to any product or producing anything of worth. All he’s doing is driving the price of your product up, causing it to be less competitive, and trading your long-term stability for a short-term (in your words) “better life”.

Obviously you haven’t been paying attention for the last several decades when all the UAW-controlled American auto manufacturers were either bankrupt or on the verge.

Try getting a real job sometime and see what it’s like.

Thunder Chicken, 13 hours ago

2 2

Hey Bdizz587 – unless unions start seeing reality (very unlikely) or they find a way to take over Mexico and China, they certainly will be going somewhere: AWAY. Manufacturing is a business, not a charity, and those who own those businesses are in it to make money, both for themselves and their shareholders. If those businesses find it cheaper to build something in China or Mexico than they do in USA (not to mention more convenient due to no unions holding their companies hostage for unreasonable demands, and higher quality product because the people doing the manufacturing work as though their jobs depend on it instead of doing it half-assed knowing a union’s got their collective backs) they will most certainly do so.

You can thank unions and their unreasonable (and communistic) “Share the wealth” mentality for the state of American manufacturing today, and that state is not good. You can hardly (if at all) find American made electronics, clothing, furniture, etc. About the only domestically manufactured things you can find are cars (and a smaller & smaller percentage of those are union made), houses (only because it’d be too hard to build a house in China and ship it here), and Big Macs (because McD’s can pay their workers what they’re worth – if they had to pay even $14/hr to burger flippers, those burgers would be processed in Mexico faster than you can say “Big Mac Attack”.

If those poor workers can’t get by on $14/hr they should leave and find jobs that pay more. If they can’t find jobs that pay more they’ve no right complaining that they’re not paid well enough where they’re at…

• Like 3

No. $14 an hour is not a livable wage. Not with 3 kids, gas, a mortgage, car payments, food, medical, daycare and insurance to pay for.

Maybe its a great wage for a single person. Or a married person with no children.

My husband makes $28 an hour. He is not Union. He is in a completely different field with his career. His job is so technical a Union doesn't exist for what he does. Even his income is hard to get by on and we do not live outside our means. In fact we go without certain things quite a bit.

We pinch and budget every month and still can't get ahead like we used to just 5 years ago.

Our plan was to get a 4 bedroom home instead of our 3, but the economy won't allow for it. *sigh*

Everything is getting so expensive now. Basic necessities have doubled and health insurance premiums have raised and they don't pay as well as they used too, just to throw some things out there.

Now on another note: In my area (for example) you can walk into a non-executive administrative position for at least $14-$16 to start with benefits. Executive positions will of course pay higher even without a college degree.

Comparison: Much less physical labor, lower on the job injuries and not working in extreme temperature conditions-to name a few.

Yes...under $20 an hour is severely under paid when you compare wages with different work environments against a Ford Assembly Plant. They know it. If it was a legit wage this wouldn't be an issue in the UAW Community.

• Like 1

My husband makes $28 an hour. He is not Union. He is in a completely different field with his career.

Is that where you been Chuck?

You went and got a sex change and married

Wondering what happened

Should we call Chaz??

Oh you are a hoot

• Like 1

Is that where you been Chuck?

You went and got a sex change and married

Wondering what happened

Should we call Chaz??

Oh you are a hoot

I'm a hoot and a transgender? Well, you're a snide idiot with an insipid mind. I am not Chuck or Chazz or anyone else that may have been a previous member here. You seriously need to back off of me. I'm a strong Shawnee Indian Woman with 3 mouths to help feed. You have no clue who I am, what I'm about, what I am capable of, what I have been through or where I come from.

Didn't your parents ever teach you to respect another human being?

• Like 1

Here is the complete article with the forum responses. The IUAW never intended for entry level to be a permanent rate of pay. It was negotiated in exchange for job security and products invested in our plants.

With all due respect. A link to the article and suggestion to read the comments would have been adequate. But, hey, I ain't the mod. I just thought 4 screen pages full of comments from an external link seemed a bit long.

• Like 1

No. $14 an hour is not a livable wage. Not with 3 kids, gas, a mortgage, car payments, food, medical, daycare and insurance to pay for.

Maybe its a great wage for a single person. Or a married person with no children.

My husband makes $28 an hour. He is not Union. He is in a completely different field with his career. His job is so technical a Union doesn't exist for what he does. Even his income is hard to get by on and we do not live outside our means. In fact we go without certain things quite a bit.

We pinch and budget every month and still can't get ahead like we used to just 5 years ago.

Our plan was to get a 4 bedroom home instead of our 3, but the economy won't allow for it. *sigh*

Everything is getting so expensive now. Basic necessities have doubled and health insurance premiums have raised and they don't pay as well as they used too, just to throw some things out there.

Now on another note: In my area (for example) you can walk into a non-executive administrative position for at least $14-$16 to start with benefits. Executive positions will of course pay higher even without a college degree.

Comparison: Much less physical labor, lower on the job injuries and not working in extreme temperature conditions-to name a few.

Yes...under $20 an hour is severely under paid when you compare wages with different work environments against a Ford Assembly Plant. They know it. If it was a legit wage this wouldn't be an issue in the UAW Community.

Chucky