2012 F150 4x4 Questions

HoustonPerson

2012 F150 Questions on 4x4’s

FX4 comes with ESOF – that little 4x4 Hi/Lo switch I am already familiar with, so no questions there. I guess that means the Hi/Lo switch is still there?

Lariat 4x4 comes with two-speed automatic 4x4; what does that mean? Is the Hi/Lo switch gone? What is different about this system?

All 4x4’s now have “Four-Wheel-Down Towing” I assume that means you can now leave 4x4 engaged at “all” speeds while towing, parking, backing (boat ramp), maximum turning? Please explain. When in 4x4 mode is the front differential now free wheeling (for turning)? And no longer locked?

2012 F150 Questions on 4x4’s

FX4 comes with ESOF – that little 4x4 Hi/Lo switch I am already familiar with, so no questions there. I guess that means the Hi/Lo switch is still there?

Lariat 4x4 comes with two-speed automatic 4x4; what does that mean? Is the Hi/Lo switch gone? What is different about this system?

All 4x4’s now have “Four-Wheel-Down Towing” I assume that means you can now leave 4x4 engaged at “all” speeds while towing, parking, backing (boat ramp), maximum turning? Please explain. When in 4x4 mode is the front differential now free wheeling (for turning)? And no longer locked?

4 wheel down towing means you can tow the F150 behind another vehicle with all 4 wheels down rather than with the front wheels on a dolly.

I thought the order guide did say the hi/lo switch was gone but not 100% sure. It's posted here somewhere.

4 wheel down towing means you can tow the F150 behind another vehicle with all 4 wheels down rather than with the front wheels on a dolly.

I thought the order guide did say the hi/lo switch was gone but not 100% sure. It's posted here somewhere.

Actually, with the F150, were it not 4 wheel down towable, you would need the BACK wheels on a dolly. :)

The hi/lo switch is still there. You have 4 settings now:

• 2 hi
  • 4 hi
  • 4 auto
  • 4 low

Actually, with the F150, were it not 4 wheel down towable, you would need the BACK wheels on a dolly. :)

The hi/lo switch is still there. You have 4 settings now:

• 2 hi
  • 4 hi
  • 4 auto
  • 4 low

Ok, thanks. So does that mean:

FX4 Hi/Lo Switch is:

2 Hi

4 Hi

4 Lo

Lariat Hi/Lo Switch is:

2 Hi

4 Hi

4 Auto

4 Lo

And I assume the 4 Auto means it now can switch between Lo and Hi Automatically? Just trying to understand what the new stuff is and how it is configured etc.

Ok, thanks. So does that mean:

FX4 Hi/Lo Switch is:

2 Hi

4 Hi

4 Lo

Lariat Hi/Lo Switch is:

2 Hi

4 Hi

4 Auto

4 Lo

Yes. I think the auto is an optional transfer case on the Lariat and above, but not positive.

And I assume the 4 Auto means it now can switch between Lo and Hi Automatically? Just trying to understand what the new stuff is and how it is configured etc.

No. Auto just means it is like AWD at that point. It will apply power to the wheels that are not slipping. It is actually 4 Hi Auto...it's always in high in auto mode.

Edited by fordmantpw

Ok, thanks for the replies. Now let me see if I got this correct.

All four tires on the ground for having the truck “towed” is fair enough – no problem there.

The “4 Auto” selection on the switch makes it a AWD – meaning you can drive on any surface type traction, turn corners, etc. For example: A nice feature for the wife, driving over “iced” bridges and then onto dry pavement. She would no longer have to engage and disengage the “switch” etc.

That one feature would most likely move me to select the Lariat over the FX4, just for the wife. Well maybe – LOL.

Ok, thanks for the replies. Now let me see if I got this correct.

All four tires on the ground for having the truck "towed" is fair enough – no problem there.

The "4 Auto" selection on the switch makes it a AWD – meaning you can drive on any surface type traction, turn corners, etc. For example: A nice feature for the wife, driving over "iced" bridges and then onto dry pavement. She would no longer have to engage and disengage the "switch" etc.

That one feature would most likely move me to select the Lariat over the FX4, just for the wife. Well maybe – LOL.

Sounds like you've got it correct!