Ford F-150 vs. Chevy Silverado THROWDOWN!

HardcoreFXFour

I happened to have a chance to compare the F-150 to the Silverado recently. What a difference! This review is coming from a non-biased point of view. i am only stating facts and what i observed. These were the test trucks:

My uncle's 2010 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercab w/5.4L V8. List price (CAD): $47,500

A friend's 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Extended cab w/5.3L V8. List price (CAD): 48,650

Both trucks are similarly equipped, however the Ford does have the trailer brake controller, tailgate step, bedside step and a remote start. All options the Chevy did not have. I will split this review into different sections.

Exterior design

Although somewhat biased, I thought the Ford looked more like a truck, and had a more "with the times" look. GM has a nice look with the GMC Sierra, but the Chevy is getting dated and has a conservative architecture. I did like the large body lines around the wheel arches though, it made the bed look smaller, and the wheels look bigger, which by the way, were 18" on the GM, and 20" on the Ford. (GM had aftermarket 22" wheels though) I found that the Chevy didn't have much of a body-line flow, likewise the Ford had the angled out sheetmetal that runs along the fenderline and down the doors. No need for any stick on mouldings here. I loved the big, in your face look of the Ford, although the Chevy has some sort of timeless simplicity look to it. Exterior Design Winner: Ford

Interior Quality & Look

This is where the Chevy fell short. The trucks tested both had cloth seats and both had black interiors. The Chevy's interior reminds me too much of the last generation GM trucks, and i criticized the last generation's interior for looking too much like the 90's interior. All generations since 1995 have used this dash look. The interior is the well known 2-part dash which entails the gauge and radio pod, and then splits into the glove box part. This design is, although very functional and simple, very dated. This interior uses hard, textured plastics on the top of the dash and the door panels, while the dash face uses a flat black plastic piece. Not good. The radio is straight out of an Aveo and the steering wheel is fresh out of the Impala. There are a couple silver splashes scattered, but it is 95% black. (not really black, the seats turn grey after 5000 miles) The Ford's interior, however is much different. It too uses a similar layout to the last generation F150. 4 Circular vents, symmetrical look, console shifter. Although it uses hard plastics, they are attractive and the texture is great. I love the color contrast. Black seats, white stitching. The dash uses black plastic with silver vent stacks, chrome surrounding the vents and piano black veneer scattered among the truck. It is very attractive. The stereo in the Ford is the Sony 780 watt sound system, and sounds decent for a brand name system. The Chevy's stereo is the standard 6 speaker system and sounds good for a basic system, but I'd want a bass upgrade. The seats on the GM are disappointing, because after 15000 kilometers they formed an ugly sag-line on the bolsters. The Ford has very supportive and fantastic seats. The Ford also felt like it had double the room on the interior. Interior Quality & Look winner: Ford F150

Ride & Handling

Both trucks ride and drive very nicely, however both differ from each other greatly. The Chevy felt lighter, more nimble and easier to control than the Ford, but the Ford's steering system has a nicer feel to it, the GM's is fairly numb. This section is tied between Ford and Chevy.

Engine & Transmission

Both trucks have disappointing engines. the 5.4L in the Ford was a good engine up until 2009, when the truck got heavier. The Torque difference is significant between the two pickups, but the Ford benefitted from the silky-smooth 6 speed automatic transmission which felt fantastic. The Chevy was hindered by the, frankly, awful 4 speed automatic, which shifted rough and returned terrible towing results. The Ford's transmission was not particularly impressive while towing either, it had the "hunting for gears" disease of early 6 speed autos. But at least the 6 speed didn't hit 5500rpm while towing up a highway grade, which the Chevy did. The 5.3L in the Chevy is a reliable engine, and had it's glory days in the early 21st century. Now it's in need of an upgrade, much like the 5.4 did. Engine & Transmission winner: Ford

Verdict

GM has the potential to make a fantastic truck, but the current one needs a refresh. This truck would benefit from a fresh exterior design, all-new "with the times" interior and an upgraded drivetrain. The Chevy had a dated, cramped interior that wasn't nearly as quiet as the Ford's interior, and needs to be redone. The Ford DID benefit from new engines in 2011, so that erases my suggestion for a new 5.4 replacement. The 6 speed auto is silky smooth, and the cabin is quiet, smooth and houses tons of room. Overall WInner: Ford F150

I happened to have a chance to compare the F-150 to the Silverado recently. What a difference! This review is coming from a non-biased point of view. i am only stating facts and what i observed. These were the test trucks:

My uncle's 2010 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercab w/5.4L V8. List price (CAD): $47,500

A friend's 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Extended cab w/5.3L V8. List price (CAD): 48,650

Both trucks are similarly equipped, however the Ford does have the trailer brake controller, tailgate step, bedside step and a remote start. All options the Chevy did not have. I will split this review into different sections.

Exterior design

Although somewhat biased, I thought the Ford looked more like a truck, and had a more "with the times" look. GM has a nice look with the GMC Sierra, but the Chevy is getting dated and has a conservative architecture. I did like the large body lines around the wheel arches though, it made the bed look smaller, and the wheels look bigger, which by the way, were 18" on the GM, and 20" on the Ford. (GM had aftermarket 22" wheels though) I found that the Chevy didn't have much of a body-line flow, likewise the Ford had the angled out sheetmetal that runs along the fenderline and down the doors. No need for any stick on mouldings here. I loved the big, in your face look of the Ford, although the Chevy has some sort of timeless simplicity look to it. Exterior Design Winner: Ford

Interior Quality & Look

This is where the Chevy fell short. The trucks tested both had cloth seats and both had black interiors. The Chevy's interior reminds me too much of the last generation GM trucks, and i criticized the last generation's interior for looking too much like the 90's interior. All generations since 1995 have used this dash look. The interior is the well known 2-part dash which entails the gauge and radio pod, and then splits into the glove box part. This design is, although very functional and simple, very dated. This interior uses hard, textured plastics on the top of the dash and the door panels, while the dash face uses a flat black plastic piece. Not good. The radio is straight out of an Aveo and the steering wheel is fresh out of the Impala. There are a couple silver splashes scattered, but it is 95% black. (not really black, the seats turn grey after 5000 miles) The Ford's interior, however is much different. It too uses a similar layout to the last generation F150. 4 Circular vents, symmetrical look, console shifter. Although it uses hard plastics, they are attractive and the texture is great. I love the color contrast. Black seats, white stitching. The dash uses black plastic with silver vent stacks, chrome surrounding the vents and piano black veneer scattered among the truck. It is very attractive. The stereo in the Ford is the Sony 780 watt sound system, and sounds decent for a brand name system. The Chevy's stereo is the standard 6 speaker system and sounds good for a basic system, but I'd want a bass upgrade. The seats on the GM are disappointing, because after 15000 kilometers they formed an ugly sag-line on the bolsters. The Ford has very supportive and fantastic seats. The Ford also felt like it had double the room on the interior. Interior Quality & Look winner: Ford F150

Ride & Handling

Both trucks ride and drive very nicely, however both differ from each other greatly. The Chevy felt lighter, more nimble and easier to control than the Ford, but the Ford's steering system has a nicer feel to it, the GM's is fairly numb. This section is tied between Ford and Chevy.

Engine & Transmission

Both trucks have disappointing engines. the 5.4L in the Ford was a good engine up until 2009, when the truck got heavier. The Torque difference is significant between the two pickups, but the Ford benefitted from the silky-smooth 6 speed automatic transmission which felt fantastic. The Chevy was hindered by the, frankly, awful 4 speed automatic, which shifted rough and returned terrible towing results. The Ford's transmission was not particularly impressive while towing either, it had the "hunting for gears" disease of early 6 speed autos. But at least the 6 speed didn't hit 5500rpm while towing up a highway grade, which the Chevy did. The 5.3L in the Chevy is a reliable engine, and had it's glory days in the early 21st century. Now it's in need of an upgrade, much like the 5.4 did. Engine & Transmission winner: Ford

Verdict

GM has the potential to make a fantastic truck, but the current one needs a refresh. This truck would benefit from a fresh exterior design, all-new "with the times" interior and an upgraded drivetrain. The Chevy had a dated, cramped interior that wasn't nearly as quiet as the Ford's interior, and needs to be redone. The Ford DID benefit from new engines in 2011, so that erases my suggestion for a new 5.4 replacement. The 6 speed auto is silky smooth, and the cabin is quiet, smooth and houses tons of room. Overall WInner: Ford F150

Well - I just bought a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. I really can't disagree much with your review, have driven both trucks myself. You gave props to the Chevy's ride which IMHO is better than the F150. My Silverado has the 6 speed transmission along with the HD trailering pkg.w/20" wheels, and the tow/haul mode button which will probably make up for the short comings the Chevy you drove had while towing.

I bought the Silverado over the Ford simply on price. Now coming in to the Labor day weekend-Chevrolet has added another $500.00 rebate for a total of $5,005.00. This with a dealer discount that almost equals the rebate, one can see how competitive the price is.

Both are good trucks, that's for sure.

Edited by CKNSLS

I'm sorry, but no incentives would have gotten me into an anemic GM truck. The interior is boring and Ford's new engines blow them out of the water in power and MPG. Even non-biased friends at work say the same. There was a new Chevy (2011) parked next to mine and everybody figured you really have to be a GM fan to buy one over the current F-150.

On a side note... I absolutely drilled a late model GMC that was playing games while merging onto the freeway tonight. We both punched it and I walked buslengths on him until I shut down at 95mph.... once again, no incentive will make up for that " I just whooped-your-ass" feeling :happy feet: The 2 lane on-ramp had block walls on both sides. Let me tell you, those turbo's sound magical resonating off the walls.

Edited by Hydro

Note that there are two dash designs available on the Silverado.

Most have this one:

129_0703_16_z+2007_chevy_silverado_z71+steering_interior.jpg

But this one, shared with Tahoe/Suburban, is also available:

2824d1220894087-fotos-de-interior-de-chevrolet-silverado-interior-de-chevrolet-silverado.jpg

On the main topic, I've heard that the F-150's ride quality has recently improved, and obviously the engines are a major upgrade. If the Ford is now smoother and quieter, that might very well be the end of the Silverado's advantage outside price -- though it's still a very nice truck.

Most have this one:

2824d1220894087-fotos-de-interior-de-chevrolet-silverado-interior-de-chevrolet-silverado.jpg

On the main topic, I've heard that the F-150's ride quality has recently improved, and obviously the engines are a major upgrade. If the Ford is now smoother and quieter, that might very well be the end of the Silverado's advantage outside price -- though it's still a very nice truck.

Both interiors are disappointing. My mom's got the Tahoe with that interior and it WAS a great interior, then Ford and Dodge came out with beautiful interiors and now it's falling behind.

Most have this one:

Still, neither of those interiors come close to the appealing interior that the F150 offers. Those still look like updated 90's Chevy model interiors IMHO.

Edited by V8-X