Land Rover Evoque is 2012 Motor Trend SUV of the Year

twintornados

So I finally got to sit in one of these and the Auto Show and was somewhat shocked how poor parts of the interior are. Considering how much crap Ford gets for every piece of hard plastic and cheap-looking switch, I don't understand why the fairly expensive Evoque is getting a pass. Sitting in the driver's seat I could find several hard plastic panels, cheap-feeling switches, and just a generally low-rent feeling. It looks great in pictures, but it doesn't stand up in person.

So I finally got to sit in one of these and the Auto Show and was somewhat shocked how poor parts of the interior are. Considering how much crap Ford gets for every piece of hard plastic and cheap-looking switch, I don't understand why the fairly expensive Evoque is getting a pass. Sitting in the driver's seat I could find several hard plastic panels, cheap-feeling switches, and just a generally low-rent feeling. It looks great in pictures, but it doesn't stand up in person.

Bu...bu...bu...bu...it's British with all kinds of heritage and linage.....

It was announced the other day that Jag/LR will not be at upcoming Detroit Auto Show, arguably the most influential auto show in North America. Go figure. Maybe they are dissing N.A. and don't feel it matters much anymore. Official reason was that they chose auto show in India instead. I was hoping to see some new Jags at this year's show. Oh well.....I will spend more time at Ford, Porsche, and Audi areas this coming show.

• 2 months later...

Agree on the face of it, it seemed like an odd decision.

However they chose to exhbit in India instead which is one of their fastest growing markets and a market where BMW recently said that they aren't worried about competition from Mercedes but were in fact more concerned by JLR's extremely strong growth there.

When you look at JLR's total sales in China, the UK and India you actually start to realise that the US will become only their 4th or 5th biggest market overall. Not because of declining sales in the US but because of stunning growth in those markets. Last year Land Rover alone sold about 40,000 cars in China, without a factory there and with massive import taxes to contend with! That's pretty dang impressive.

Agree on the face of it, it seemed like an odd decision.

However they chose to exhbit in India instead which is one of their fastest growing markets and a market where BMW recently said that they aren't worried about competition from Mercedes but were in fact more concerned by JLR's extremely strong growth there.

Oh T-Stag...it's called "national pride" and a little bit of "in your face, Great Britain" we now covet thy very cars you used to own because WE own 'em now....