Tough Bed

betaiota

Why would you want a Tough Bed over an aftermarket bedliner?

In my case the only aftermarket liners available locally were no names. If I wanted to get a Rhinoliner or Linex I would have to take a day off, fight through city rush hour traffic, find something to do at the shop while waiting for the liner to be sprayed, pay the premium price for the inconvenience, then drive two hours to get back home. In total I would have wasted an entire day just to get my bed sprayed. It basically boiled down to free-market principles. The big companies didn't feel the area I live was a big enough market to make it convenient to provide me with a service, so I went with the factory liner. We have factory liners in the trucks at work and they are holding up just fine after about 7 years use. Granted it isn't tough work, but it is about what I put my truck through.

Edited by 1depd

In my case the only aftermarket liners available locally were no names. If I wanted to get a Rhinoliner or Linex I would have to take a day off, fight through city rush hour traffic, find something to do at the shop while waiting for the liner to be sprayed, pay the premium price for the inconvenience, then drive two hours to get back home. In total I would have wasted an entire day just to get my bed sprayed. It basically boiled down to free-market principles. The big companies didn't feel the area I live was a big enough market to make it convenient to provide me with a service, so I went with the factory liner. We have factory liners in the trucks at work and they are holding up just fine after about 7 years use. Granted it isn't tough work, but it is about what I put my truck through.

That certainly makes sense. But, just to clarify, there's no "factory" spray-on bedliner that's been around for seven years. The very first one was Nissan (a PPG product) and it's been around since....maybe 2007 or so.

That certainly makes sense. But, just to clarify, there's no "factory" spray-on bedliner that's been around for seven years. The very first one was Nissan (a PPG product) and it's been around since....maybe 2007 or so.

It is possible that I was misinformed. I don't get to use the trucks very often, but I was told they had factory liners and when they arrived. It is very possible that the liners were applied aftermarket,and the person thought they came from the factory that way, because they arrived with the liners already in. I don't have much faith in my co-workers at times when it comes to actual knowledge of cars/trucks.

Closest Rhino dealer is 2.5 hours away and closest Line-x dealer is 3.5 hours away, so we don't see their work up here to judge. will just go with a truxedo lo pro and a rubber mat on the ordered screw as I have on my 2004 FX4, served me well so far.

for what its worth.....

I;d go with the line-x - It was the first thing I did on my 2500HD when I bought it 10 years ago, still one of the best features of the truck.,

for what its worth.....

I;d go with the line-x - It was the first thing I did on my 2500HD when I bought it 10 years ago, still one of the best features of the truck.,

Yeah that's probably what I'll do. Everyone I've talked to loves their Line X brand and I do have a few of their shops close by.

BTW Tough Bed is still an option on the '12 Super Duty's. Not sure why they dropped it on the F-150's but there could be many-a-reason.

• 5 months later...

I ordered a '12 F-150 at the end of March. Tough Bed was just made available a day or week or so before. Invoice cost is $394. That was a no-brainer!

Previous model years with Tough Bed were only built in KC. My truck is being built in Dearborn.

Already have a VIN too. I was planning on 3 months but it looks like it will be in sooner than that.

I think LINE-X is a better deal, here's why:

1. Tough Bed warranty is 3 years/36k miles; LINE-X is lifetime.

2. Tough Bed thickness is about 60 to 65 mils, LINE-X is 125 mils.

3. If you have a problem with Tough Bed, the dealer can't fix it, it's going to LINE-X anyway. Any LINE-X dealer can fix a LINE-X bedliner.

4. The original Tough Bed product is not available at the dealer even if the dealer could fix it. All LINE-X dealers have the bedliner product.

5. The Tough Bed price and the LINE-X price are very close, but LINE-X is better bang for your buck since it's thicker and you get a better warranty.

I think LINE-X is a better deal, here's why:

1. Tough Bed warranty is 3 years/36k miles; LINE-X is lifetime.

2. Tough Bed thickness is about 60 to 65 mils, LINE-X is 125 mils.

3. If you have a problem with Tough Bed, the dealer can't fix it, it's going to LINE-X anyway. Any LINE-X dealer can fix a LINE-X bedliner.

4. The original Tough Bed product is not available at the dealer even if the dealer could fix it. All LINE-X dealers have the bedliner product.

5. The Tough Bed price and the LINE-X price are very close, but LINE-X is better bang for your buck since it's thicker and you get a better warranty.

In my area, the prices are not close. And like 1depd said, I'd have to fight traffic and waste a day to get it done. I'd rather burn a vacation day using my truck. By the way, do you work for Line X?

No, I'm a CPA and I have a pretty good analytical mind. Well, people are in different situations, budget, locations, etc. and I understand that. I realize you can finance that factory bedliner while you generally can't with an aftermarket bedliner. I was using LINE-X as an example, but assuming all other things equal, pick just about any top-notch aftermarket brand of bedliner, it's still a better deal than a Tough Bed.

No, I'm a CPA and I have a pretty good analytical mind. Well, people are in different situations, budget, locations, etc. and I understand that. I realize you can finance that factory bedliner while you generally can't with an aftermarket bedliner. I was using LINE-X as an example, but assuming all other things equal, pick just about any top-notch aftermarket brand of bedliner, it's still a better deal than a Tough Bed.

Fair enough, it just started to sound like a commercial lol. This truck is leased for my personal use from my company, and since I'm not a contractor, most of the time it'll be hauling air. About every weekend it'll see use though. After the lease term, I plan on buying it personally for a weekend warrior.

I guess I'll have to see how it holds up to moderate use. If it flakes, chips, whatever, I'll report back!

• 1 month later...

I had to change the truck I ordered. The one I bought was sourced from Dearborn and did not come with a bedliner. I talked with the dealership and had them spray one in. It is a Tough bedliner. I have all of the paperwork for it. So the dealership did have the products on hand at least they did spring of last year.

Black bedliners don't always look good. Why would you put a black bedliner in a an Oxford White over Pueblo Gold King Ranch?

That is exactly what I have, except in a Lariat version. Since the top rails of the bed are dark grey/black the black bed doesn't look so bad. Not to mention most people can't see into the bed to begin with.