Driving the Nissan Leaf

RangerM

Yeah, I don't get that. Supposedly the Tesla Roadster will go up to 300 miles on one charge, and Musk states that new Model S sedan that costs $50,000 in base form will go over 200 miles on ONE charge. What gives? When EV from Nissan and Ford will ONLY go 75 miles top if they are lucky. Sounds to me unless Musk is bullshitting that the battery technology is there, but maybe the cost is too high for Leaf or EV Ford to install into their vehicles. I just don't know. Anyone have the info?

Tesla is crammed full of laptop batteries - like 1,000 of them or something. I think the others use conventional lead acid batteries like that old Baker Electric did 100 years ago (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah, I don't get that. Supposedly the Tesla Roadster will go up to 300 miles on one charge, and Musk states that new Model S sedan that costs $50,000 in base form will go over 200 miles on ONE charge. What gives? When EV from Nissan and Ford will ONLY go 75 miles top if they are lucky. Sounds to me unless Musk is bullshitting that the battery technology is there, but maybe the cost is too high for Leaf or EV Ford to install into their vehicles. I just don't know. Anyone have the info?

It is actually the other way around. The Roadster has the 200 plus range, the Model S will have over 300 miles range. That extra range comes at a price: $110K for the Roadster, but the S comes in at a mere $70K. Hopefully this trend will continue like it does with most technology...cheaper and better with each generation.

I get a range of about 330-340 on my Fusion. (Sure, when I fill up, the DTE is usually around 450, but I never get that). I have a commute that is 38 miles one way, 95% high-speed highway in an area that can be -25F in the winter or 95F in the summer. And sorry, I'm not to the point yet where I'm willing sacrifice anything. That means EATC is at 70 and whatever the car has to do to give me that in the summer or the winter it's gotta do.

I also drive to Milwaukee about 20-25 times a year, which is 300 miles round-trip (many of which seem to be travelled at 5 mph entering Miller Park).

For the commute, you'd need to give a "range" of at least 150 miles to account for the hard drain I'd apply for the use of heat/AC/accessories. I'd have no problem recharging in full overnight everyday and the 150 mile range would still let me run most errands I might need to do on the way to or from work. Big problem: I'd need a 2nd car just to do pretty much anything more than my commute. That's not gonna fly for me.

I'm betting a lot of households that are 2 car now, can get an EV with a decent range for one person's commute and the 2nd car for the "long stuff", etc. But they don't need to REPLACE all cars--just supplement them. A widely available, reasonably priced (i.e., 35k-ish) EV with a "real-life" range of 300 miles would go a long a way to chopping our country's gasoline/oil demands.

• Like 1

Oh HELL no to a car that combines no heat and constant stress about whether it's got enough "juice" left in it to take you on a 15 mile commute and back.

I live in Michigan with winter approaching, and the the combination of those two issues at best makes life damn uncomfortable, and at worst: dead.

REAL WORLD FAIL.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

£19,000 ($29,573) BATTERY REPLACEMENT,after 5-7 years the Nissan Leaf resale values will become a worthless piece of junk if it needs a $29,573 battery replacement on the horizon.

88 MPG Fiesta Econetic diesel that costs a small fraction of the Nissan Leaf to buy new, will run for 30 years of free diesel energy (Cost of replacing Leaf batteries) without the need for $29,573 batteries to replace every 5-7 years.

AUTO EXPRESS

Nissan Leaf owners "$29,573 Electric Shock" (So the Nissan boss says)

LINK

Brit's are going back to their roots RWD, 1.3 million have given up on the car in 2010, 1.3 million folk have hopped on to RWD fun zero emission vehicles rather than Leaf's that are powered by pumping dirty shit out of power stations elsewhere .

RACE TO GO GREEN

UK RWD is spearheading the Cycling boom, sales are out of control LINK

A total of 208 million cycle journeys were made in 2010, with a net addition of 1.3 million more cyclists taking to their bikes compared to the previous year, bringing the total to 13 million.

Of these new cyclists, half a million are now cycling regularly. New cyclists alone contributed £685 million to the UK economy, with existing regular cyclists representing a total market value of £635 million.

The report also showed that regular cyclists take take around 1 sick day less per year than non-cyclists, saving the economy around £128 million, with projected savings of £2 billion over the next 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

Gotta say l still prefer good ole British made Classic Fords myself.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds