SPORT TRAC

I think the newly designed and bigger 07' Sport Trac has a future. The V-8 is nifty and powerful. The truck is fun to drive. However, the 18" tires are NOT WIDE ENOUGH. Give it more of that "beefy" look. The 300HP engine would have no problen "turning" a wider tire setup. Does anyone here work at Ford? If so pass along this request please. I believe it would sell more of these units if a wider tire option was available. IMHO as always.

I plan to order a Limted 4x4 V-8 and I will use it off-road occasionally just like I do my Ranger FX4. I have had BFG All-terrain TA's on many of my previous 4x4's and the Ranger came with them from the factory. One of the first mods to the Sport Trac will be tires since I don't see the Michelin Cross Terrains as much of an off-road or even snow tire. At least not compared to the BFG's. Problem is, BFG only offers one size to fit an 18" wheel, which is what the Limited comes with, and that is a 265/65. The stock Michelin's are 235/65's. There is nearly 2" of difference in diameter between these two tires. That will definitely play hell with the speedometer. I suppose another option would be to go to a 17" aftermarket wheel since BFG offers a better variety in that size.

Edited by blksn8k2

blksn8k2, what size tires would you guess are on the red "souped up" Trac seen above posted by NLPRacing?

I'll answer my own question thank you. Massive 21-inch wheels. Those weren't thrown on to appeal to the "bling-bling" DUB crowd -- those rims are functional. Of course, the large rollers are needed to cool those massive brakes, and massive brakes are needed to bring 390 horses to a stop. See? Functional.

I'll answer my own question thank you. Massive 21-inch wheels. Those weren't thrown on to appeal to the "bling-bling" DUB crowd -- those rims are functional. Of course, the large rollers are needed to cool those massive brakes, and massive brakes are needed to bring 390 horses to a stop. See? Functional.

It wouldn't need massive brakes if it didn't have such large wheels. Rotating mass is your enemy when it comes to brakes.

They were most definitely on the concept ENTIRELY for the "bling bling" factor. If it were actually built, I would have been shocked to see anything larger than 18" wheels on it, for practicality and FUNCTIONALITY reasons.

It wouldn't need massive brakes if it didn't have such large wheels. Rotating mass is your enemy when it comes to brakes.

They were most definitely on the concept ENTIRELY for the "bling bling" factor. If it were actually built, I would have been shocked to see anything larger than 18" wheels on it, for practicality and FUNCTIONALITY reasons.

Those wheels are identical to the 18" limited wheels in current production. There has been some talk about 20" and we have even run some trail test on them. Compare the ones in the picture to the current ST limited and you will see. Nothing larger than 18" scheduled for the rest of the year.

To be perfectly honest, if Ford had not cancelled the Adrenalin I probably would have been faced with a really tough decision. But in the end, I think common sense might have reared its ugly head once again and I would have gone with the true 4x4 version anyway. I don't use my Ranger FX4 to its full off-road capabilties but I do use it off-road often enough that the Adrenalin would not have been the best replacement. By going with the Limited 4x4 V-8 Sport Trac I will get better ground clearance plus a true two-speed transfer case versus the all-wheel-drive system that the Adrenalin was supposed to have. I will be sacrificing about 100 hp but I do not believe the 4.6 3V is underpowered by any means. And besides, for anyone who wants more power there is the possibility of an aftermarket supercharger if you are willing to accept that your factory warranty will most likely be voided. I just hope someone steps up to the plate and offers at least a true dual exhaust and an air intake kit for the 3V. Those mods would aid not only performance but also fuel mileage and they should not have an adverse affect on your warranty.

As for the wheel size on the Adrenalin CONCEPT, that's a moot point now isn't it?

But I do need to correct a statement I made in my previous post. The only size BFG offers for an 18" wheel is a 285/65, not a 265/65. When you compare the diameter of the stock Michelin 235/65/18's to the BFG there is actually a 2.8" difference. That is significant and will affect not only the speedometer reading, which can be corrected by reprogramming the computer, but it would also reduce the performance of the truck and that is not so easy to correct. By increasing the diameter of the tires you are essentially changing the final drive ratio. This would be similar to changing the axle ratio from the stock 3.55:1 to something closer to 3.00:1. This might theoretically help fuel mileage but probably not since the engine would be operating in a lower rpm range that might not be optimal plus, as fllcobra stated, the larger tires would have greater rolling resistance.

Edited by blksn8k2

• 3 months later...

Thought I would dig up some old bones in light of some new developments. I was looking at the Tire Rack's website and noticed that BFG is now offering a 265/65 R18 All-Terrain TA with a 31.7" diameter. That looks much better than the only previously available size which was 285/65. Plus the 265 will work on the factory 7.5" wide wheels. I read elsewhere that the new size is a direct replacement for the new GM full size SUV's so I guess we can thank the General for something.