2012 5.0 MPG

DUCKRACER

I have about 750 miles on my 2012 5.0 PLATINUM 4X4.

If I really drive smoothly on the freeway with no payload at about 65 mph I am lucky to get 18mpg. I have a 3:55 elocker diff and use 2H on the transmission when I am on the street.

Is this just not broken in or is this just the nature of the beast?

Any tips or ideas?

BTW I LOVE this truck!!!!

Edited by DUCKRACER

If I really drive smoothly on the freeway with no payload at about 65 mph I am lucky to get 18mpg. I have a 3:55 elocker diff and use 2H on the transmission when I am on the street.

Any tips or ideas?

It is probably all ok.

How did it do on the first tank of gas from the dealer?

What part of the country are you in? temps? humidity? dew point? etc

I assume you are basic regular E10 (and not E85)?

Regular mirrors or Tow mirrors?

Bed covers or toppers? or other mods to the truck?

Also, you may want to compare the 2H and 4Automatic (not 4H) for mpgs?

And of course breakin will help some, and throw in some spells of speed........take it up to 90 a few times and/or lower gears at 40-60 etc.......it likes that.

It is probably all ok.

How did it do on the first tank of gas from the dealer?

What part of the country are you in? temps? humidity? dew point? etc

I assume you are basic regular E10 (and not E85)?

Regular mirrors or Tow mirrors?

Bed covers or toppers? or other mods to the truck?

Also, you may want to compare the 2H and 4Automatic (not 4H) for mpgs?

And of course breakin will help some, and throw in some spells of speed........take it up to 90 a few times and/or lower gears at 40-60 etc.......it likes that.

Thank you for your input.Yes I use E10, I live in California so the weather is mild. I guess I could fold my mirrors back. They don't stick way out, but it might help. One day I drove to and from work when it was windy and with the wind behind me I got better mpg and coming back into the wind I got worse. I already compared 2H to 4A and 2H seemed a little better. Probably, I will just accept what mpg I get after it has 3k mi on it and just enjoy driving it. We have an '09 V6 Escape Limited and and my wife's '89 4cyl Toyota p/u so we do have some relatively good mpg vehicles to use. Bottom line is I guess it is going to be a garage queen and used on special occasions and when we get some trial bikes we will use it to take them to the desert. BTW the "spells of speed" generates beautiful V8 music, especially under freeway overpasses;-)

Thanks again for your response.

Any tips or ideas?

I have a 2011 XLT 5.0 super cab w/chrome package (275/65x18 tires) 6.5 bed, 3.75 locker off road package with 10,172 miles on it. I bought it June 21st 2011. I live in Eastern Washington state at the foothills of the cascades. I drive the passed, 5600 and 4500 feet, at least once a month to visit relatives. With approx 70 percent hiway driving I averaged 17.9 miles per gallon in the summer for the first 5400 miles. Since the first of November we have had snow and near 0 temps on occasion and I have used 4x4 on several trips over the passes. Winter average dropped to 16.5 for a 4000 mile stretch with a lot more city driving in 4X4.. Just got back from a 700 mile trip over the pass with good roads and fair weather to Seattle and with some city driving and averaged 20.3 for the trip.Thats what I was averageing last summer on the same trip when the truck was brand new. Thats with me and the wife and two others in the truck. My truck weighs 6525 lbs with me and the wife tool box with stuff in it and full tank of fuel. I use premium fuel whitch does improve performance ie. excelleration for sure. But does not seem to make much difference in fuel mileage. I used Chevron Regular on the last 700 mile trip to compare. . All things considered I am getting better fule mileage than the factory 14 city 19 hiway 16 average. My total aveage is 17.2 for the 10,172 miles. I DONT BABY IT.....if I need to get to the on ramp first .I DO. Amazing power I think for so much weight....and the premium fuel does improve the performance as stated in the owners maual. Weather conditions and 4x4 means less MPG.

• 1 month later...

Considering fuel economy.gov gives the 5.0 19mpg highway, 18 seems it. My dad is looking to move to a crew can but not sure to go Eco or not. What about the 2013 any word?

Get one NOW before BO decides that you don't really need a truck that is so heavy and uses so much gas. 'Get my drift???