AWS for skilled trades

I have been informed that all Ford final assembly locations will begin some sort of alternative work schedule for skilled trades. At MAP, the story is that we are going to do this regardless of whether or not production goes to 3 crew operations. The schedule being considered is 4 crews, and it's such a mess, there is no sense in trying to explain it here. Anyone out there on an AWS? Dearborn?......Chicago?.....How do you like it?

I have been informed that all Ford final assembly locations will begin some sort of alternative work schedule for skilled trades. At MAP, the story is that we are going to do this regardless of whether or not production goes to 3 crew operations. The schedule being considered is 4 crews, and it's such a mess, there is no sense in trying to explain it here. Anyone out there on an AWS? Dearborn?......Chicago?.....How do you like it?

Were on an AWS at DTP. 4 on, 4 off, 12 hours a day. Personally, I love it.

Takes a little getting used to, but when you sit down and realise that you are only working 183 days a year, you can't help but smile.

• Like 1

AWS for trades amounts to the company gaining coverage on weekends and holidays while paying out less in overtime.DTP has been on an AWS for the last 7-8 years.Here is an example of a 4 day stint I just worked,all days are MANDATORY, 12 hours , paid 11.5.Friday- started at 6:30 pm.The first 10 hours were straight time followed by 1.5 hours at time and a half.At DTP the trades working the 6:30 pm till 6:30 am shift earn 5% shift premium.Saturday-First 10 hours at 125% ,last 1.5 at 150%.Sunday-first 8 hours at 125% last 4 hours at 150%.Monday first 10 hours at straight time followed by 1.5 hours at 150%.Now-KNOW THIS-at DTP had Monday been a Company Paid holiday I could have {and usually am} been forced to work 12 hours at 250% and I cannot convert the hours to future time off so where is my holiday?Also-KNOW THIS-that if you have jury duty the only days you are reimbursed for are the days that you are required to work.My starting day rotates so,after being off work from tuesday-friday,this week I am responsible for Sat.,Sun.,Mon.,Tue.One last note,most weddings and family parties and funerals happen on the weekends.Personally,I dont like it.

• Like 1

KTP has trades on a weekend crew, recently they pulled all the electricians and put them on a five day schedule so they have enough electricians to run M-F....

KTP has trades on a weekend crew, recently they pulled all the electricians and put them on a five day schedule so they have enough electricians to run M-F....

I hope I like it too...we'll see. I know I don't like the idea that a tradesmen "has to" work 12 hours because he has all those other days off. Or the fact that on the traditional schedule, weekends are optional (when they are offerred) and you see it in your pay check. The AWS has us working weekends, not by choice, but because we have to. I believe the union gave away the store: Not just for overtime issues and coverage....but to find a place for all the tradesman without a home. Again, why don't they have a home? Because FoMoCo shut down a bunch of plants when they had their head in their ass back a few years ago when toyota, honda and all the transplant companies were doin' better than ever! NOT THE UNIONS FAULT!........oh well, now I feel better! Ya know what...all that time off might not be so bad after all.

Edited by rainbownthdrk
  • Like 3

The bottom line is that Ford will gain 365/24/7 coverage from its trades at lower overtime cost.You will give up weekends and possibly Company Paid holidays and possibly forced to work 12 hours.What it amounts to is a pay cut over the traditional schedule.There are 7 possible start days.On a 4 on,4 off schedule only two start days result in having both weekend days off,Monday and Tuesday.You may find yourself working for time and a quarter on the weekends.Your paychecks will not be the same amount every week.Some weeks will be higher and some lower. Days like Easter,or Christmas that have fallen on a weekend and are in my work schedule,the company has allowed me to take an UNPAID day off.These are the facts of working a 4 on/4 off AWS.You can read them over and decide if you would prefer an AWS or not.Get the specific facts about the AWS your plant is considering first, dont rely on what 'others' say they like.

Edited by Fatso

The bottom line is that Ford will gain 365/24/7 coverage from its trades at lower overtime cost.You will give up weekends and possibly Company Paid holidays and possibly forced to work 12 hours.What it amounts to is a pay cut over the traditional schedule.There are 7 possible start days.On a 4 on,4 off schedule only two start days result in having both weekend days off,Monday and Tuesday.You may find yourself working for time and a quarter on the weekends.Your paychecks will not be the same amount every week.Some weeks will be higher and some lower. Days like Easter,or Christmas that have fallen on a weekend and are in my work schedule,the company has allowed me to take an UNPAID day off.These are the facts of working a 4 on/4 off AWS.You can read them over and decide if you would prefer an AWS or not.Get the specific facts about the AWS your plant is considering first, dont rely on what 'others' say they like.

The choice is not mine to make.Ford is the one with the plan.banghead.gif

Ya I also love the AWS 4 on 4 off. Never want to go back to 5 day. Dont knock AWS. Try it youll love it. Like Pioneer says,,,,, and I agree

Been 4 years in production and finally many of us will be either reskilling or working back to our original trade.

That 4 on 4 off sounds good to me. 5 extra days off a month and 60 extra days off a year sounds even better.

Thank you UAW for negotiating the $100,000 retirement, reskilling, and $50,000 return to production. We should all be back within a month to our tools. Can anyone confirm the skilled $100,000 retirements are above 500? 550?

Been 4 years in production and finally many of us will be either reskilling or working back to our original trade.

That 4 on 4 off sounds good to me. 5 extra days off a month and 60 extra days off a year sounds even better.

Thank you UAW for negotiating the $100,000 retirement, reskilling, and $50,000 return to production. We should all be back within a month to our tools. Can anyone confirm the skilled $100,000 retirements are above 500? 550?

So mid week of 3/12 I should know when I will be back on my tools ? Hope you are right but I for one won't drink the Kool-Aid Yet.

The choice is not mine to make.Ford is the one with the plan.banghead.gif

I accurately stated THE FACTS about the 4 on---4 off schedule.Feel free to like it or not. MAYBE there is something that can be done about it or MAYBE there is a different AWS that a person would prefer.Of course all that requires union members coming together and the local actually 'fighting' for its dues paying membership.I say throw all the possible schedules out there and let the people who will be forced to work them vote on which one they want.

At KCAP we love it the way our Local negotiated the AWS. It works like this.You have your normal 1-2-3 shifts during the week. then there's the D or E shifts on weekends. If you are on D shift you work Saturday and Sunday 12 hours plus one day during the week 12 hours ( Day during the week depends on senority ) for a total of 36 hours but you are paid for 44 hours. So if you have Sat.,Sun.,Mon. Saturday is worth 15.5 hours Sunday is 15.5 hours and Monday is 13 hours. Now if you work a Sat. Sun. Mon. schedule for example, your Tuesday or Wedsday would recieve time and half on those days and Thursday and Friday would be double time for those days. If you take a day off you really want to do it during the week then you're only out one hours pay for the week. I know some who have gone two months working only two days a week. And alot have over two hundred days off a year, and with a little overtime sprinkled you can make between 90000- 110000 a year. Its a good deal, But your working every weekend unless you take the day off for 12 hours pay.

That is too much money!

If the union can get skilled trades paid that much a year ,

at least they could get the guys who actually work (Production)

a raise!

You are right in respect of production getting more money (2-tier) equal pay for equal work, plus no raise for years. I know prodution works hard , been there done that. To make the kind of money im talking about means investing alot of time away from home and family, going though 4 years of apprenticeship and risking life and limb, working the summer and christmas downtimes and alot of holidays. I have seen a few people like your self who think trades don;t do a thing ,then you get in somehow and once you do, you set around mashing your nuts don't learn a thing and and we have to carry your ass! while you give us a bad name.

Edited by KC Skilled
  • Like 1

Here is an example of how the 4 day on/ 4 off works ,just giving the facts so put down the Blue Oval pom-poms for a minute and pay attention.You work day shift.Your crew is scheduled for Thursday April 5th-12 hours/paid 11.5/first 10 straight time.Friday April 6th [paid holiday] mandatory 12 at 250%-say bye bye holiday!Saturday April 7th Mandatory 12 so come on in for 125% for the first 10 hours!Easter Sunday April 8th-------stay home!You dont have to come in.You get NO pay because Sunday is not a company paid holiday.In other words you not only dont have a company paid holiday- time off wise -but with all the givebacks,you paid yourself for working the "holiday".AWS is a tool by which the company gets trades coverage 365/24/7 while paying much less overtime than with a traditional schedule.

Edited by Fatso

Here is an example of how the 4 day on/ 4 off works ,just giving the facts so put down the Blue Oval pom-poms for a minute and pay attention.You work day shift.Your crew is scheduled for Thursday April 5th-12 hours/paid 11.5/first 10 straight time.Friday April 6th [paid holiday] mandatory 12 at 250%-say bye bye holiday!Saturday April 7th Mandatory 12 so come on in for 125% for the first 10 hours!Easter Sunday April 8th-------stay home!You dont have to come in.You get NO pay because Sunday is not a company paid holiday.In other words you not only dont have a company paid holiday- time off wise -but with all the givebacks,you paid yourself for working the "holiday".AWS is a tool by which the company gets trades coverage 365/24/7 while paying much less overtime than with a traditional schedule.

I understand your plight but the 4 on 4 off sounds better to me than the traditional 5 day. Talking to active trades in final many have made more in 1 year than I ever made in 2 years combined. Your problem with the 4 on 4 off is definitely not in the form of total compensation because these guys made some serious cash last year

I understand your plight but the 4 on 4 off sounds better to me than the traditional 5 day. Talking to active trades in final many have made more in 1 year than I ever made in 2 years combined. Your problem with the 4 on 4 off is definitely not in the form of total compensation because these guys made some serious cash last year

Only if we work are whole life's away. I only work a 40 hour week and, that is all I need. Some of us are not that greedy!

• Like 2

4 days on and 4 days of is like an additional 2 months vacation per year. Sounds good to me

At MAP the presumptive schedule (starting sometime in late April/early May) will have us working on average 42 hours/week.......we will work 12 hours a day but only 7 out of 14 days: NOT A BIG MONEY MAKER SCHEDULE!!!! The whole purpose of this piece of SH*T is to cut overtime. We will make a bit more than 5/8's but the screwed up 12 hour shifts, 7-7 start times(afternoons and midnites are eliminated and combined into a 7pm to 7am shift), and the requirement to work every other weekend kinda take away from that xtra money. By the way, I dont expect them to cover vacations at MAP, therefore I dont expect to be asked to come in on my days off to make above and beyond 42hrs/week.

At MAP the presumptive schedule (starting sometime in late April/early May) will have us working on average 42 hours/week.......we will work 12 hours a day but only 7 out of 14 days: NOT A BIG MONEY MAKER SCHEDULE!!!! The whole purpose of this piece of SH*T is to cut overtime. We will make a bit more than 5/8's but the screwed up 12 hour shifts, 7-7 start times(afternoons and midnites are eliminated and combined into a 7pm to 7am shift), and the requirement to work every other weekend kinda take away from that xtra money. By the way, I dont expect them to cover vacations at MAP, therefore I dont expect to be asked to come in on my days off to make above and beyond 42hrs/week.

i wish i had your problems.....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh if you want overtime then AWS is for you. The company will never man the shifts with proper coverage, always running short. They somehow want to ignore the fact that when equipment runs nearly 7/24 that the preventative maintenance is a secondary thought. They would rather run it till it breaks causing unnecessary down time during production than actually doing the PMs and run more units.

You will make a ton of money on the AWS if that's what you want. If management ever got smart and actually did the PMs instead of fabricating paper work they could build tens of thousands more units per year.

• Like 2

You will make a ton of money on the AWS if that's what you want. If management ever got smart and actually did the PMs instead of fabricating paper work they could build tens of thousands more units per year.

Got that right.

Word is Dearborn Engine is going to go to an AWS. Wonder where they are going to get the tradespeople to do it. We are short in the Truck Plant now.

Got that right.

Word is Dearborn Engine is going to go to an AWS. Wonder where they are going to get the tradespeople to do it. We are short in the Truck Plant now.

With 930 trades taking the $100,000 incentive that is a good question.

Good problem to have actually