A suggestion for better times ahead-- Performance Cars!

calypsocoral

Yeah, I realize these are not do-able in today's current economic climate (which will likely worsen pretty soon).

But, after the storm, and better times come about (hopefully within our lifetime, and Ford's), I'd like to see Ford expand their lineup of performance cars with 2 RWD chassis-- a small, light one that I'll call "Sport" and a larger one that I'll call "Touring."

Now that Ford no longer owns Mazda, I think an argument could be made for a new 2-seat roadster and (possibly) coupe. I would make this somewhere between the size of a Mazda MX-5 and a Nissan 370Z. Engine choices can include an NA 2.0L, a 1.6L EcoBoost, and a 2.0L EcoBoost. This quick, nimble, ~2800-lb. RWD sports car shall be called "Thunderbird."

On that same chassis, a stretched version, with longer wheelbase and rear overhang, would be a ~3100-lb 4-seater called "Mustang," available in Coupe or Convertible versions. This will be more true to its roots, being more of a personal car, like the original '64/65, as opposed to the big hulks of '71-'73 and today. Engine choices will include a 2.5L, a 2.0L EcoBoost, and a 2.5L EcoBoost. The step-up will be the "GS" ("Grand Sport"), which will include a 3.7L V6 and a 3.5L EcoBoost V6. A stripped, "hardcore" version, the "GS-R" would apply the Boss 302 Laguna Seca treatment.

Yes, I left out the V8. I know that's going to pi$$ off a lot of people, but so sue me. With CAFE regs continually-tightening, the V8, in anything but big vehicles, is hearing its death-knell.

The first car on the "Touring" chassis would be about the same size as a mid-size sedan, with a rakish roofline, short overhangs, and flared hips. A ~3600-lb, 4-door "Coupe," if you will (let's face it-- big 2-doors are increasingly becoming a hard sell). Engines would start with the 2.0L EcoBoost, and include a 3.7L V6 as a step-up, and a 3.5L EcoBoost as an option. If you want a V8, the 5.0 will be included here. This car shall bear the name "Gran Torino," and would likely occupy the same niche as the current Mustang.

What else can these chassis do?

Using the "Sport" chassis, perhaps a "Small CD-size" (think Acura TSX or Toyota Avensis) sport sedan/wagon combo called "Falcon" using the 3 4-cylinder engine choices and a body length a little longer than a Mustang (hence, the Mustang remains a true "coupe"-- "cut" down from Falcon proportions).

-- Hybrid versions, with Lithium-Polymer batteries, should also be looked-into.

-- This lineup be underscored with an even smaller, 3-door hatchback version called "Pinto", which can include the new 3-cylinder. Making this car tuner-friendly would make it an interesting challenger to the likes of the VW GTI.

Increasing the wheelbase and overhangs of the "Touring" chassis, Ford can do a large, RWD sedan called "Galaxie," using only a few cues from the "interceptor" concept a few years back (especially that graceful, boat-tail rear-end that reminded me of Galaxie 500's from the 1960's). This would be the range-topper of Ford's car lineup.

This same chassis could also underpin a Flex (which will, hopefully, have a cooler name in the future) as a "people-hauler (can't call it a minivan!)."

Integrate a ladder frame to increase towing capacity, and you can have a new RWD/4WD Explorer.

What about Lincoln?

Lincoln's homolog of the Ford Galaxie would be a new Continental, possibly with suicide rear doors, and a stylish, sumptuous interior rivaling (or besting) that of Audi. "Stripped" (I use the term loosely) versions could be aimed at the livery market. Engine choices would include 3.7L V6, the 5.0L V8, the 3.5L EcoBoost, and possibly a small Diesel V8 (assuming Ford ever sees a reason to dig the "Lion" project from the archives).

Now that Land Rover has been sold off, Lincoln could work on a lavish, off-road-capable SUV based on the Explorer above, with an All Terrain system that can match Land Rover's.

A version of the "Touring" chassis without the ladder frame can also underpin a mid-size CUV similar to the current MKX (can't ignore the trophy wives, right?).

So, for those of you lamenting that I left out a big, 2-door coupe from Ford's lineup-- you'll have to save up for a Lincoln. A new Mk IX (pronounced "Mark Nine") would be based off the short-wheelbase version of the Touring chassis, and start with the 3.7L V6, with the 5.0L V8, and 3.5L EcoBoost as an options.

Yeah, I know it's a wild dream, but it would be really cool!

• 3 weeks later...

A 4dr RWD V8 sport sedan would be great if they could do it and make it affordable. My kids are getting too big for my Mustang unfortunately. I could deal with the Taurus SHO or Explorer Sport but, I prefer V8 power. Hoping it'll happen someday!

• 2 months later...

A 4dr RWD V8 sport sedan would be great if they could do it and make it affordable. My kids are getting too big for my Mustang unfortunately. I could deal with the Taurus SHO or Explorer Sport but, I prefer V8 power. Hoping it'll happen someday!

I agree 100% Ford having their flagship Sedan (Taurus) only pushing 365 hp in their "SHO" package is unacceptable when Dodge has two sedans pushing 360-370 hp and it's their regular packages. I think Ford needs to take that 5.0L and get that Taurus up to speed. Come on Ford...give that Taurus some balls!!!

Edited by TrueBlueCajun

I agree 100% Ford having their flagship Sedan (Taurus) only pushing 365 hp in their "SHO" package is unacceptable when Dodge has two sedans pushing 360-370 hp and it's their regular packages. I think Ford needs to take that 5.0L and get that Taurus up to speed. Come on Ford...give that Taurus some balls!!!

If it's unacceptable to you don't buy it but it's perfectly acceptable to most buyers. And you're not going to be able to get much more power out of that platform - they had to totally redesign the front clip just to keep it from exploding with the current 365 hp.

You'll have to wait for a new RWD platform to get much more power and it's unclear whether that's in the cards or not.

If it's unacceptable to you don't buy it but it's perfectly acceptable to most buyers. And you're not going to be able to get much more power out of that platform - they had to totally redesign the front clip just to keep it from exploding with the current 365 hp.

You'll have to wait for a new RWD platform to get much more power and it's unclear whether that's in the cards or not.

Well, the Mustang has been lacking in HP for so many years before it took it back I guess if you want a high HP Sedan, you have to go elsewhere for the time being since Ford practically maxed out the output of the Taurus. Couldn't the AWD handle the 400+ hp or is it the space under the hood?

• 5 months later...