3500 new Ford Escapes damaged by hail

Can Ford reuse some of the parts that aren't damaged, which is basically everything other than the body panels, or once it's been installed, regardless of mileage, does it become a used or salvage part? The ones in the plant holding yard can't have more that a few hundred feet on the odometer.

Edited by transitman

The cost to repair will not be worth it to Ford. Many of the vehicles on the lots up here are totaled.

To avoid legal issues down the road, perhaps Ford will repeat Mazda's approach following the Cougar Ace incident several years ago and destroy all of the affected vehicles.

In the past, Ford has sold new hail-damaged units at their dealer-restricted auction locations. They sold new hail-damaged 2011 Explorers (unrepaired) and got more than we were retailing an undamaged unit for. Sometimes the units are repaired via paintless dent removal. Full disclosure is made in the auction program and also by the ring auctioneer. The windshields also clearly state that the unit was hail-damaged. In the "old" days, dealers were invoiced and considered the owner as soon as the unit was gate-released; currently, we are not considered the owner until the date of actual delivery. Also, I believe Ford was self-insured with regards to in-transit and storage vehicle damage.

• 2 months later...

I found out why it took took so long to get my VIN assigned and to be delivered. The first one that was built for me was one of those damaged by hail. Now that I have it, I'm glad I had to wait, any bugs that might have infected the first down the line sould be exterminated.