Who said hybrids can't be fun, 94 MPG (78 US MPG) 201 MPH Porsche 918

article-0-133068F8000005DC-631_634x390.jpg

DAILY MAIL....

The super green machine: New Porsche can hit 201mph and can do 94 miles to the gallon (that's better than a Prius)

Supercars generally have the reputation for being gas-guzzlers as they rage across our roads with a need for speed.

But the new Porsche 918 Spyder may be about to change all that - for while it manages a top speed of 201mph, it also manages an economic 94 miles to the gallon.

That makes the Porsche more economic than the car with one of the greenest reputations - the Toyota Prius - which can manage 72.4mpg.

The UK's biggest selling car, the Ford Fiesta, by contrast, manages just 78.5mpg.

The Porsche manages the economy mileage thanks to a new hybrid system where two electric motors generate power alongside the car's 4.6-litre V8 engine, which pushes out around 570 horsepower.

The electric motors each boost this up to a total of 770horsepower, helping the Porsche hit those super speeds.

The attractive Porsche 918 Spyder will also be able to accelerate from 0-62mph in less than three seconds - making it faster than most supercars on the road.

However, that must be the price of a car that can make Jeremy Clarkson green with envy without giving Greenpeace too many sleepless nights.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1vUkdJiMD

What an absolutely stunning car, why can't Lincoln do something like a hybrid super car?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds
  • Like 1

Well done, a 570 hp V8 supercar with extra 220 hp hybrid assist that manages 94 mpg.

Here's hoping more manufacturers catch on and rethink in large engine strategies..

Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW and Audi, I'm looking at you lot...

Edited by jpd80

Now, can they be fun at a price tag anywhere south of $150K?

Dang, the 918 Hybrid runs about $750,000 in its very limited run, and all are spoken for. I believe the Carrera GT cost about $500,000 new and a nice, used one runs about $350,000. I'm sure Jerry Seinfeld has a 918 on order to add to his Porsche collection which rivals Porsche museum.

Dang, the 918 Hybrid runs about $750,000 in its very limited run, and all are spoken for. I believe the Carrera GT cost about $500,000 new and a nice, used one runs about $350,000. I'm sure Jerry Seinfeld has a 918 on order to add to his Porsche collection which rivals Porsche museum.

Now the obnoxiously wealthy can be obnoxiously hypocritical too! :P