New Plant In Texas ?

I have a question is Ford building a new state of the art flex plant in Texas,if so what will be the shipping cost to it and what will it be per vehicle out ? they told us in norfolk cost was the big factor in closing and i'm curious as to what it will be there. i would also like to know if anybody knows what kind of platforms this plant will be building ,since it could impact other plants not on the closing list,at a latter date

I have a question is Ford building a new state of the art flex plant in Texas,if so what will be the shipping cost to it and what will it be per vehicle out ? they told us in norfolk cost was the big factor in closing and i'm curious as to what it will be there. i would also like to know if anybody knows what kind of platforms this plant will be building ,since it could impact other plants not on the closing list,at a latter date

the last bit published said that Ford is planning on 2 new plants - a huge flext plant in Mexico producting B-segments for all of FoMoCo globally, and another flex plant for the C-segment vehicles in the southern US near an asian transplant factory.

The new US plant would have new rules with UAW, because UAW will use this plant as a base to recruit and organize the workers in the asian plant nearby..

This was published in DetNews as the real plan after all the anger on the "Way Forward - Mexico" document that many took as a "done deal" despite it being just a refused proposal.

For now the Mexican plant seems to be on ice as I heard Ford is retooling the F-series mexican plant for the US and Mexican production of B-segments

Igor

the last bit published said that Ford is planning on 2 new plants - a huge flex plant in Mexico producting B-segments for all of FoMoCo globally, and another flex plant for the C-segment vehicles in the southern US near an Asian transplant factory.

The new US plant would have new rules with UAW, because UAW will use this plant as a base to recruit and organize the workers in the Asian plant nearby..

This was published in DetNews as the real plan after all the anger on the "Way Forward - Mexico" document that many took as a "done deal" despite it being just a refused proposal.

For now the Mexican plant seems to be on ice as I heard Ford is retooling the F-series Mexican plant for the US and Mexican production of B-segments

Igor

My guess would be Texas or maybe Tennessee. I think Texas because they can place it along the "NAFTA" corridor and utilize those shipping routes. Plus it would be great to unionize the Toyota truck plant.

My guess would be Texas or maybe Tennessee. I think Texas because they can place it along the "NAFTA" corridor and utilize those shipping routes. Plus it would be great to unionize the Toyota truck plant.

No one south of the border could afford to buy a vehicle built here, they can't afford those built there now!

the last bit published said that Ford is planning on 2 new plants - a huge flext plant in Mexico producting B-segments for all of FoMoCo globally, and another flex plant for the C-segment vehicles in the southern US near an asian transplant factory.

The new US plant would have new rules with UAW, because UAW will use this plant as a base to recruit and organize the workers in the asian plant nearby..

For now the Mexican plant seems to be on ice as I heard Ford is retooling the F-series mexican plant for the US and Mexican production of B-segments

Igor

Hey Igor,

Later reports have suggested that Ford will only build one new plant- and that may be either in the US, Mexico or Canada.

Last speculations pointed to Texas, with property being purchased already. The only way they are going to be able to beat Toyota in Texas is to build trucks in Texas. Heck, everyone badges their trucks special in Texas. The parts will be coming up from the Mexican Campuses straight up the NAFTA Highway. It will be a two line flex plant, and will have a capacity of near 500,000 units a year. There are a few people who are researching the land sales for confirmation, but Texas is a big state.

Last speculations pointed to Texas, with property being purchased already. The only way they are going to be able to beat Toyota in Texas is to build trucks in Texas. Heck, everyone badges their trucks special in Texas. The parts will be coming up from the Mexican Campuses straight up the NAFTA Highway. It will be a two line flex plant, and will have a capacity of near 500,000 units a year. There are a few people who are researching the land sales for confirmation, but Texas is a big state.

Something tells me that it is gonna be somewhere near the great lakes. Reason being MTP has already ran NAP's 8 foot trucks ( i think 4) through the system to make sure they work. DTP had a meeting today and they were telling us they want us to be the lead truck plant and I am sure they are just blowing smoke but who knows. From what they told us last year we were last being we were so new to the truck system, but now they are telling us we are right with K.C.

All of the transplants scattered all over the U.S. makes me think they will hold ground near and around the great lakes for many reasons.

You have posted good stuff on here but would the cost savings be more since you would have 2 plants building the same types of vehicles within a small radius? I know they call it ford country in texas but honestly I do not think it would matter much if they are built here or there. With the price of the tundra supposed to be priced very low, cost is everything at this point. Stupid reasons why they say NAP is closing and I still think that is a mistake. Ford owns so much land in different parts of the U.S. it is hard to nail down where it will be built. We will see more in less than 2 months....

That Tundra is just a F series truck....

Something tells me that it is gonna be somewhere near the great lakes. Reason being MTP has already ran NAP's 8 foot trucks ( i think 4) through the system to make sure they work. DTP had a meeting today and they were telling us they want us to be the lead truck plant and I am sure they are just blowing smoke but who knows. From what they told us last year we were last being we were so new to the truck system, but now they are telling us we are right with K.C.

All of the transplants scattered all over the U.S. makes me think they will hold ground near and around the great lakes for many reasons.

You have posted good stuff on here but would the cost savings be more since you would have 2 plants building the same types of vehicles within a small radius? I know they call it ford country in texas but honestly I do not think it would matter much if they are built here or there. With the price of the tundra supposed to be priced very low, cost is everything at this point. Stupid reasons why they say NAP is closing and I still think that is a mistake. Ford owns so much land in different parts of the U.S. it is hard to nail down where it will be built. We will see more in less than 2 months....

That Tundra is just a F series truck....

Ford owns a lot of land in Collier Cty of Florida. Naples Area.

I don't think this plant will be a two-line plant. The "low cost" plant- if it gets built- will only be a 500 employee or so operation. It will rely on a lot of moduarlized parts- entire powertrains, interiors, etc will be brouht in and simply bolted together. F-Series components- most of which are made in the North- would be too bulky and cost prohibitve to transport to Texas.

Edited by Footballfan

Due to the decrease in market share and the excess manufacturing capacity, don't see FoMoCo building any new assy plants in NA any time in the near future, unless there's a drastic turnaround in the company's sales.

It makes good businsess sense doesn't it.

Ford has too much manufacturing capacity so it will pay millions of dollars to close 14 plants and loose 30,000 trained, experienced workers too save money.

Then build a new plant which will...

1.Spend big money and time researching to find a location that the government and EPA will allow manufacturing and that has sufficient railroad and highway transportation to support a plant.

2.Spend big money purchasing that land.

3.Spend big money clearing the land and building from the ground up an all new plant starting from nothing.

4.Spend big money relocating people who are experienced in auto manufacturing to train the locally hired all new work force that have zero experience.

5.Spend all of this money and at least 3 years of time before the first vehicle rolls off of the line by which time the market could have changed again and the need for this new plant's product may be declining. Don't think it could happen? When Toyota first planed the new Texas Tundra plant years ago the full size pickup market was growing every year and Toyota did not have a competitive product, now that market is shrinking before they can even begin production.

All of this while the governors from states which have plants on the closing list are throwing big money at Ford to keep their plants open. Ford has already spent over $300 million in upgrading NAP in just the last few years and has an established quality workforce to build on. Ford could walk into Norfolk today and make outrageous demands from the local government to keep NAP open and expand as needed and they would get whatever they want.

But Mark and Bill know a lot more about this sort of thing than anyone else and they are making wise business decisions I'm sure...

Edited by F250