Fellow workers on restrictions

9notenuff

A person with an occupational restriction from medical could be just about anything depending on what their injury is and the extent of it ... i.e. limited use of an arm or hand, weight limits on how much they should lift , no bending or twisting, etc. Once a person has one of these restrictions in place the complany automatically places a 40 hour restriction on them as well so they are not eligible for overtime. A person with a personal restriction most likely will be found as "no work available" so that working will not aggravate a non-work condition and prevent it from becoming occupational.

A person with an occupational restriction from medical could be just about anything depending on what their injury is and the extent of it ... i.e. limited use of an arm or hand, weight limits on how much they should lift , no bending or twisting, etc. Once a person has one of these restrictions in place the complany automatically places a 40 hour restriction on them as well so they are not eligible for overtime. A person with a personal restriction most likely will be found as "no work available" so that working will not aggravate a non-work condition and prevent it from becoming occupational.

Maybe else where but, at CAP it dosen`t work that way.

During our 7 X 12 run we had members with very little time working in pre-delivery doing the 7 X 12`s and they had someone else carry their check because of their lifting restriction.....

At CAP, a restriction is your key to the city, a get out of jail free pass and how would you like a second helping of OT......

Decker

It has never worked that way at either of the plants I've worked at. I believe that a person with a occupational restriction that keeps them from working overtime is entitled to file a claim and receive 80%.

Thats exactly why I started this post. Almost all the jobs in my area aren't that bad and it seems as if these people on restrictions are getting away with murder on a daily basis. But when it comes to OT they can do the toughest jobs at DSP with no problems.

Thats exactly why I started this post. Almost all the jobs in my area aren't that bad and it seems as if these people on restrictions are getting away with murder on a daily basis. But when it comes to OT they can do the toughest jobs at DSP with no problems.

THAT is an abuse...If they can't do it on straight time...they SHOULD NOT be allowed to on OT. That's just CRAZY!!!

• Like 1

THAT is an abuse...If they can't do it on straight time...they SHOULD NOT be allowed to on OT. That's just CRAZY!!!

You have that backwards.. IF they CAN do the job on OT, then they can damn sure do it on straight time.

As for pay, if the injury is work related (in Michigan at least) and you are denied OT because of it, then you can collect 80% of the lost OT from workmans comp. If its a personal injury, this does not apply. As for either type of injury being allowed to work OT...that is a plant level issue and should be addressed by the local Union. Alot depends on the plant, the jobs, and the manegements opinion of the issue.

For those of you not familar with DSP, the F-150 front door lines have 5 jobs that are rotated every 2 hours. On each of those lines there is a conveyor job which is the easiest job on the line. It moves quite slowly & the operator just has to put 4 different parts on 2 conveyors. Anyway, on line 240 a restricted person stays on this job all 8 hours & the other 4 operators rotate around the conveyor job. This person is unable to do the other 4 jobs on the line but can come in on saturdays for 12 hours & do the F-150 roofs upstairs? That job is supposedly much tougher than the other jobs on line 240. Also, by doing the conveyor job that operator gets the optimum break twice a day every day we do tag relief which is a vast majority of the time.

I know, I know, I'm a whiney little bitch but I'm not the only one here that thinks this is BS. O

thers have brought this up to the union but to no availe. I'm sorry I brought this topic to this forum.

Man...get a hold of yourself! You started a good topic.

I know, I know, I'm a whiney little bitch but I'm not the only one here that thinks this is BS. O

thers have brought this up to the union but to no availe. I'm sorry I brought this topic to this forum.

A few questions; Is the employee you are talking about on personal or occupational restrictions?

Has the Gate 4 medical doctor medically placed said employee on the job you are talking about?

There really is not much that the union can do if this person was medically placed on the job, furthermore if said employee is working against their restrictions while on overtime; they are subjecting themselves to discipline action if they get hurt further working outside their restrictions.

In the Stamping agreement restricted employees are allowed to work scheduled overtime in their department(rememeber the assembly lines are all one department...if I remember correctly), If they are truely working OT outside their department continue bringing it up through the channels of the union.

Are they not doing the supplimentary overtime list in stamping yet ?

For those of you not familar with DSP, the F-150 front door lines have 5 jobs that are rotated every 2 hours. On each of those lines there is a conveyor job which is the easiest job on the line. It moves quite slowly & the operator just has to put 4 different parts on 2 conveyors. Anyway, on line 240 a restricted person stays on this job all 8 hours & the other 4 operators rotate around the conveyor job. This person is unable to do the other 4 jobs on the line but can come in on saturdays for 12 hours & do the F-150 roofs upstairs? That job is supposedly much tougher than the other jobs on line 240. Also, by doing the conveyor job that operator gets the optimum break twice a day every day we do tag relief which is a vast majority of the time.

So they work on line 240 downstairs but go upstairs on overtime unloading the Shulers or TR press lines? (I can not imagine they do roofs on the AP's)

Hello all,

Please be careful when speaking about workman’s comp injuries and employees being able to collect 80% of lost overtime. I say this because to start you must be at work and denied overtime because of your restriction due to injury directly. If you’re denied because of this, you can submit a lost overtime claim but there is a formula that is used (it’s not 80% by a long shot) and your current pay rate will reflect toward any injury per its anniversary date rate of pay. In other words, if you were occupationally injured in 1995, you may get a couple bucks for your lost overtime, if any at all.

As for the concern with Occupational injured employees working overtime at DSP. By contract, occupational injured employees (restricted) that perform a job during the week will be allowed to work that job on daily overtime and weekends if it is scheduled and they are in compliance with the overtime equalization process. So if they are up for the overtime by virtue of low hours and it’s the job they are on all day, then yes they must be canvassed to work the overtime. Remember, just because they are injured doesn’t mean that they have no rights.

If we have someone that only can work one job, but on overtime can work any job, then the Unit Committee needs to know about it and it will be addressed.

Hope this information helps.

Have a great shut down all.

Jeff Hodges

UAW Local 600

Dearborn Stamping & DTP Body

Vice President & Bargaining

Hey general douche bag, me bringing it to this forum was the only way it might get the attention of someone in the union other than Mark. It has been brought up to the him numerous times by the people who are losing out on OT. I myself couldn't care less about the OT. My concerns are about job rotation on a daily basis. Although I would blow my brains out doing the same job everyday, the break of the conveyor job is nice once in a while.