2013 Escape Leaking Roof

Ford know about this issue. It is not the windscreen, but leakage around a roof rack bolt. The rack has to come off and be sealed. It took my dealership two attempts but we got there. Ford also paid me some compensation, so stick out for this. There are quite a few Escapes affected by this.

If you need more please contact me.

Repeat it is NOT the sunroof or the windshield!

Contact Ford Customer Service directly....18776095766 Ext 4 and speak to Alex...He knows of this. Tell him you expect compensation.

Edited by NovaScotiaGuy

Well, it looks like I will have to go for a long drive or park it outside during the next substantial rain we get (might be awhile the way the weather has been here).

If it leaks from a sealing problem on the roof rails, so help me god, I will never but another domestic car again and will search out stuff that is not even assembled on this incompetent continent. %$#@ me once shame on you Ford, %$#@ me twice you and your sort-sighted work force deserve to go under.

Roof racks are not some new technology. I beleive the engineering and design is there, so it has to be one of my union brethren who is unhappy with the UAW's current relationship with Ford.

If it leaks from a sealing problem on the roof rails, so help me god, I will never but another domestic car again and will search out stuff that is not even assembled on this incompetent continent. I was trying to limit my posts and comments to only legitimate issues and concerns, but this post ticked me off. First of all, as far as I can tell from your posts and responses you aren't experiencing this problem, so why are you so pissed about it? Are you saying all products manufactured in North America are inferior to those, say, manufatured in China? I'll take ANYTHING Made in America over something made in China or even Europe, ANYDAY! The ONLY foriegn cars I would ever consider buying over a Ford are an Audi or Volvo and even those aren't without their problems. %$#@ me once shame on you Ford, %$#@ me twice you and your sort-sighted work force deserve to go under. So you are willing to throw the entire Ford workforce under the bus for a possible engineering error but more likely a Chinese or European supplier quality control issue. If you had your way about 200,000 Americans would lose their jobs.

Roof racks are not some new technology. I beleive the engineering and design is there, so it has to be one of my union brethren who is unhappy with the UAW's current relationship with Ford. With an attitude like this, you have no Union brethren. Not all Union members hate their employer and the assembly worker had nothing to do with this issue. They're trained and instructed to place the part here, attach like so and wait for the next unit to arrive. I believe the workers at KAP are proud of the quality product they produce and make a honest attempt to point out problems before they become wide spread. I also believe new hires are grateful to have a good job at a great American company and do their best everyday.

I knew I would ruffle some feathers with that post and I thought for quite awhile before hitting the "post" button, but an issue like this (even though I have not verified one way or another if I am affected) is entirely unacceptable in this day and age regarding something that is so preventable. Can you imagine what these cars are going to look like inside when a shop has to tear out a headliner to get to the issue? It is hard enough to get things put together properly the first time around. Unfortunately for me, I am a pessimist and rare is the day I am disappointed by the world.

I have been a union member for 23 years and have witnessed quite a bit of just "mailing it in" as far as work performance is concerned, and I don't take it personally when someone paints my entire profession with a wide brush.

My last Ford purchase (out of five total, and my dad was a Ford guy) had an problem that a couple dealers could not track down and the next fix was to replace the entire engine compartment wiring harness at 70,000 miles. This was an expensive repair that had no guarantee of correcting the issue. Do I carry a grudge for awhile, yeah, I guess I do. There comes a time where you have to start voting with your wallet, and I did that for a number of years. Everything I have read in the press the past few years indicated the quality playing field had pretty much leveled out between the domestic and foreign car makers. Seeing the issues some of the other forum members are having, I am beginning to doubt this. On the Subaru forum I came from a lot of issues were self inflicted by the vehicle's owners because of misuse and abuse, but I have to believe most people on here are not modding their cars and causing their own problems.

Old stereotypes die hard, so I guess I am guilty of perpetuating them and I will admit to that. If this car is fraught with problems (and my pessimism makes me unjustly anticipate it), there will not be another Ford in my garage again.

So far no leaks on mine. Washed it really good just to make sure, completly drenched it with the sprayer and checked inside, no water at all. Sprayed the roof racks and the windshield for a good 2-3 minutes.

My auto tailgate closes perfectly each time as well.

It was built 10/19, maybe they are finally getting the bugs worked out of production.

• 11 months later...

I hate to resurrect a dead thread but... I now have a leak. Had the car over a year and there is no stain on the headliner yet, so I'm sure it wasn't there in the beginning. The wet spot is right were the plastic meets the headliner on the driver side. What was the consensus on this issue? Bad sealant on the windshield, roof rails, both or other? It goes in the shop Friday. I'm guessing they'll do the easy thing and add some caulk around the windshield and say it's fixed. We all know how this works, It'll probably take several trips to get it fixed.

I've got a similar issue on my May '13 built Escape. There is a water leak somewhere on the drivers front side of the vehicle. I haven't seen any staining of the headliner, but its dripping down from behind the dash along the plastic trim by the door frame, around the ODB port. It could be leaking from any number of places to get water to run down that area. Ive yet to take it into the shop but I'll be sure to post their findings when I do.

Gator.. Mine does the same thing. The water is traveling behind that plastic trim and works it's way down and drips onto the floor mat. Luckily I have husky floormats. This is how I first noticed it. There was a little puddle on my floor. I'll keep the board posted as well.

Gator.. Mine does the same thing. The water is traveling behind that plastic trim and works it's way down and drips onto the floor mat. Luckily I have husky floormats. This is how I first noticed it. There was a little puddle on my floor. I'll keep the board posted as well.

I have the Huskys too and thats exactly how I noticed it. I kept seeing a small puddle after getting into the vehicle after it had sat through a rain shower in the parking lot at work. After I ruled out my shoes being the souce of the water, I knew there was an issue. I probably never would have noticed it with just carpet.

Ironically enough, one of the reasons we traded in the horrible Dodge Nitro for the Escape was water leaking into the cabin. Sometimes you just can't win!

FYI, I have read other discussions about water getting in because the bulkhead sealant has cracked. Also have heard of AC hose leaking. Picture of cracked seal.

That location would make a lot of sense for my leak. Do you happen to have the source story that you can provide a link to?

FYI, I have read other discussions about water getting in because the bulkhead sealant has cracked. Also have heard of AC hose leaking. Picture of cracked seal.

Thanx for the info, I appreciate the help. I don't think this is my issue because I could feel that my headliner was wet. After a closer look and in good light, I can see a very faint stain, so the leak is definitely starting at the top of the car somewhere...

Took it to the dealer yesterday. I was told the leak is the sealant in between the windshield and the car. Service advisor told me she has to call to verify that it's covered. Some cock and bull story about glass is only covered for 12 months, but she thinks it's covered under the body warranty. blah blah blah... I need to reschedule for there "glass guy" to handle it. Also,I had them look at my ecoboost tag. They had to order a new emblem, paint was peeling off of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear. I'm sure you rather not have to go though this, but atleast they didnt stick you with a fiesta. :victory:

Funny enough I had the same delay in delivery problem with my Escape but, my wife's Fiesta was even more delayed! They are popular but she wanted the whole sport package and none were available

It rained last night, and yep, I still have the leak. I'd go to a different dealer if they weren't so far away... Back to the shop again. This is getting ridiculous.

Yikes, thats not good news. I haven't found the time to take mine in to the dealer yet. It's hard to go without a vehicle when I have a 18 mile commute to work each way. Do you have the moonroof?

At this point, I'd rip out the headliner and run it through the car wash and record where it's coming in. This' is so stupid. Roof rails and windshields have been around forever. Can't believe they screwed up that technology. Every time it rains for a couple days straight I look up at my headliner and check for leaks.

Hi folks. New to this forum, I joined because of this thread.

I have a 2013 Titanium Escape that I've had for right at a year, and have always parked outside. Two weeks ago it started leaking. Wet headliner on the drivers side A-pillar. I do not have the sunroof- because I didn't want my roof to leak.

the dealer has had it for a week, and tells me that they took the windshield off and resealed it and it shouldn't leak any longer. I have no word on what they plan to do with the headliner.

I've also had problems with the alarm going off when I open the liftgate with the key in my pocket, and with My Ford Touch not starting when I start the vehicle. Oddly enough, I have the same problem of the rear "ecoboost" badge having peeling paint on it as "boppergee".

Now that there is water intrusion in the car I'm worried about long term damage. They gave me a 5 year Premium Care ESP. I'm not satisfied with that, as it's only two years beyond my warranty. Rust, electrical problems, mold... lots of issues could come of this.

Does anyone have any experience or advice??

nch734,

These are some of the concerns I have as well in terms of long term damage. My g/f had a Dodge Nitro with a similar under the dash leak, the dealer could never solve it, and it ended up destroying the interior of the vehicle. Exposed metal (like the seat frames) completely rusted, the padding/soundproofing under the carpets molded and had to be torn out. We were starting to experience a lot of other electrical gremlins that no doubt were due to corrosion from the moisture. We were both very excited to get rid of that literal rust bucket for the new Escape, only to be potentially faced with the same issues all over again.

I'm thinking there has to be a common issue related to the roof racks or seals around the cowling. Its seems the moonroof ironically isn't an issue since vehicles without one are leaking, and that the windshield replacement doesn't always work from what I've read. If we are lucky, Ford issues a TSB, which will not only help the dealers fix the problem, but document that Ford was aware of the problem in case we end up with long term issues down the road.