2013 Escape Accessories/Mods

transitman

I've looked and couldn't find an attachment point in the rear, if you find one let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to plan my future spin outs into the snowbank so I'm facing forward. I see you hail from Troy, MO, in the early 90's I lived in Edwardsville, IL when I went to grad school at SIUE.

Edited by transitman

I was going to be clever and post a pic of a hook in an eye. One look at it and I got all queezy and tingly in my finger tips (no kidding, it was gross). So, yeah, I know what an eye bolt is and like Escapism said, Ford calls their eye bolt for recovering vehicles from a ditch, snowbank or for emergency towing a Recovery Hook.

Edited by transitman

Page 191 of 2013 Escape Manual PDF

TOWING POINTS (IF EQUIPPED)

Towing Eye Location

The screw-in towing eye is located in the

spare wheel well.

The towing eye must always be carried in

the vehicle.

Installing the Towing Eye

The screw-in towing eye has a left-hand

thread. Turn it counter clockwise to install

it. Make sure that the towing eye is fully

tightened.

Diagram here

Insert a suitable object to pry open the

cover (1). Use recessed/notched portion

of the cover. Screw in the towing eye (2).

Now everybody knows why I picked the double face palm as my avatar. It comes in handy sooo often when dealing with online forums.

I stand corrected with transitman. From now on its a forged closed eye bolt w/left-hand thread.

Edited by Escapism

is it an open eye bolt ?

... a screw eye bolt ?

...a swivel eye bolt ?

maybe a ...lag eye bolt ?

Whereas:

World English Dictionary recovery (rɪˈkʌvərɪ) — n , pl -eries 1. the act or process of recovering, esp from sickness, a shock, or a setback; recuperation 2. restoration to a former or better condition 3. the regaining of something lost 4. the extraction of useful substances from waste 5. the recovery of a space capsule after a space flight 6. law a.the obtaining of a right, etc, by the judgment of a court b.(in the US) the final judgment or verdict in a case 7. fencing a return to the position of guard after making an attack 8. swimming, rowing the action of bringing the arm, oar, etc, forward for another stroke 9. golf a stroke played from the rough or a bunker to the fairway or green

Definately #2 "restoration to a former or better condition "

...so "recovery" is the right descriptor...

but "hook"...

hook

1    /hʊk/ Show Spelled[hook] Show IPA

noun

a curved or angular piece of metal or other hard substance for catching, pulling, holding, or suspending something.

a fishhook.

anything that catches; snare; trap.

something that attracts attention or serves as an enticement: The product is good but we need a sales hook to get people to buy it.

something having a sharp curve, bend, or angle at one end, as a mark or symbol.

... it ain't a "hook"

It cood be a Recovery Hook Receptacle Receiver

Receiver:

re·ceiv·er

   /rɪˈsivər/ Show Spelled[ri-see-ver] Show IPA

noun

a person or thing that receives.

a device or apparatus that receives electrical signals, waves, or the like, and renders them perceptible to the senses, as the part of a telephone held to the ear, a radio receiving set, or a television receiving set.

Law . a person appointed by a court to manage the affairs of a bankrupt business or person or to care for property in litigation.

Commerce . a person appointed to receive money due.

a person who knowingly receives stolen goods for an illegal purpose; a dealer in stolen merchandise.

=======================

A thing that receives..!!!!....Yeah, that's the ticket!

It receives the hook~!

So, if you want to buy one, you better ask for a "2013 Ford Escape Recovery Hook".

If you're at Ruth's Chris in Seattle, sucking down $22 GreyGoose martinis, you better be telling her it's "a Recovery Hook Receiver"!

But if after leaving "Dogs-R-Us" in Titusville after a dozen Miller Lites you get stuck in the sand at Playalinda Beach, and your buddy shows up 3 hours later with his Jeep, you're gonna say, "Give me the *&^%$$in' Eyebolt"

Burma Shave

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think "most newer cars" have a tow hook. Actually it's a ditch extraction hook and it's required in Europe so you can thank the Kuga for that one. Subarus are not your average American market vehicle. My 2000 Lincoln LS had one because it was supposed to be exported to Europe but that's the only other vehicle I know that actually came with a hook from the factory.

Ford GT came with the tow hook. Same hook by the way except factory installed ones were cad plated and replacenets from parts are black like the ones for the Escape. But they are interchangeable.

• 3 months later...

My Intro-Tech windshield shade arrived yesterday. It was a little pricey at $59.95 and there's a fairly large gap by the mirror, but it unfolds easily, fits side to side really nice and it comes with a nice storage bag. I think it will work just fine. Here's some pics.

post-36355-0-67831100-1362016893_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-54122200-1362016917_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-65135100-1362016927_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-98611900-1362016940_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-57574300-1362016952_thumb.jpg

Edited by transitman