Chinese automaker copying VW engines and transmissions

jpd80

LINK

First Automotive Works, Volkswagen’s Chinese partner, is copying Golf and Polo transmissions and engines and installing them in its own vehicle, the German automaker alleges.

FAW’s new Besturn B50, a model that’s set to go on sale in China and Russia, uses a near exact replica of VW’s MQ200 transmission and a small car engine shared with the Chinese-market Golf and Polo. According to VW, FAW’s engineers made miniscule dimensional changes to the engine and transmission, a move that the German automaker says violates its patent rights.

According to Germany’s Handelsblatt business paper, VW claims that some of FAW’s upper management, including CEO Xu Jianyi, are involved in the technology plagiarization.

“This is simply a disaster,” a VW representative told the newspaper.

VW and FAW have a long-standing joint-venture that dates back more than two decades, a move that has made the German automaker the biggest foreign brand in the Chinese new car market. In China, foreign brands must partner with a domestic firm under the Asian country’s business laws.

FAW has stated that it will respond to the allegations soon.

“FAW is aware of the report and is paying high attention to the case because it is related to the cooperation between the two partners,” FAW spokeswoman Shao Xin told the Global Times.

Oh dear, the Germans won't be happy....

"No, we're not copying your engines and transmissions...why would we do that?"

Edited by jpd80

I am guessing this is only the beginning...

How bold is that, copy your business partner.s power train and think they won't notice?

Something tells me the Chinese either have no idea about the concept of intellectual property, or they just don't care..

How bold is that, copy your business partner.s power train and think they won't notice?

Something tells me the Chinese either have no idea about the concept of intellectual property, or they just don't care..

i'd say they don't care. this has been going on forever in lots of industries with asian partners. we had a korean partner years ago that we used for fabrication since their prices were so low, then they raised their prices so it didn't pay to use them as much, then they built the product themselves. this was in the 1980's - nature of doing business over there.