Consumer Reports trash talks - “Five Popular Cars to Avoid.”

LoveTaurus

If the well-regarded Consumer Reports has taken some criticism, over the years, it’s for being too import friendly, but you’d be hard-pressed to tell from the non-profit publication’s latest issue – where it takes the Toyota Prius C and Honda Civic to task as two of “Five Popular Cars to Avoid.”

Ford Edge is one on the list.

I think this CR article is quite stupid...

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/07/13162666-consumer-reports-trash-talks-toyota-honda?lite

Edited by LoveTaurus

Don't really see their beef with any of the vehicles on that list. I can think of 5 others I'd put on a list way ahead of any of those.

Here's a link to the 5: http://www.foxnews.c...eatures#slide=1

And here's what they said about the Edge:

It may look attractive, but the magazine says its MyFord Touch infotainment system is distracting to use, the ride is jittery and reliability below average.

I understand they hate MFT, so no surprise there, but jittery ride? Ridiculous. Do they just not like it because it doesn't ride like a 1984 Town Car?? And reliability on previous model year Edges with the same/similar powertrains has been above average.

Edited by NickF1011

If they hate MFT, why single out the Edge? Virtually every Ford product has it available now, and you can still get the Edge without it if you don't like it. I have no complaints about the ride - it's just as good if not smoother than other cars I've driven.

If they hate MFT, why single out the Edge? Virtually every Ford product has it available now, and you can still get the Edge without it if you don't like it. I have no complaints about the ride - it's just as good if not smoother than other cars I've driven.

As my Horror Films Analysis professor wisely said: "Don't apply logic to an illogical situation."

Because it was first one with MFT and it was the one they tested in the magazine where they noted the problems. They're just regurgitating what their magazine articles said without any real thought or research.

They probably tested a model with 22" rims. Yes it rides like crap...when the rubber is spray painted on your wheels and the suspension is not designed for it. Swap their model out for one with 18" wheels and see what the results are.

Also they did the same thing to the 2006 Mazda CX-9 they drove the version with the 20" wheels and hated it. Later on they drove the lower trim class with 18" wheels and said it rode sporty but not punishing..

They probably tested a model with 22" rims. Yes it rides like crap...when the rubber is spray painted on your wheels and the suspension is not designed for it. Swap their model out for one with 18" wheels and see what the results are.

Ummm...I own a Sport with the 22" wheels. It rides like anything but crap. In fact, it rides far better than the 2010 Edge SEL rental I had once that only had 18" wheels. And the tires aren't "spraypainted on the wheels" (they have quite a bit of sidewall -- more than the 18" wheels on my Mustang) and I'm sure the suspension is properly designed for it. Speaketh not of what you don't know.

Edited by NickF1011

Swap their model out for one with 18" wheels and see what the results are.

While the Ford Edge's suspension tuning doesn't deliver quite the refinement and balance between agility and comfort of the Mazda CX-9, the 18" Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (size P245/60R18) on the Edge Limited I rented were superb. They're among the best OE tires I've experienced - good ride comfort and handling, very low tread noise levels, and reassuring wet and dry traction.

Edited by aneekr