Ford Amps Up Investment in Electric Vehicles

Nice article, I wish Ford would develop some capability for their larger vehicles (Flex, Explorer), but I guess that's not in the cards. At least we know (although not mentioned in this article) that they are hard at work with Toyota on capability for the F150.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/08/ford-amps-up-investment-in-electric-vehicles/

It was announced one year ago: http://money.cnn.com...ybrid/index.htm

You always have to be careful with what is said and not said with the Japanese. This announcement might mean something, or it could have been just to save face; we need to have much more info or some sort of progress report (which I haven't seen but maybe missed?).

I can tell you that the initial conversations with Toyota on hybrids turned sour very quickly because Toyota was extraordinarily arrogant, essentially saying "you won't be able to do this by yourself." So Ford said "F U" (very politely of course), walked away from the table, and did it themselves.

These are two huge companies. Ford needs to improve fuel economy on pickups (as do the other manufacturers), but Ford doesn't necessarily want to give Toyota any competitive advantage in this critical segment. Trying to find a solution where both parties have "gives and gets" that balance is very, very difficult.

I'm just spouting off without facts. I just set a low probability on a positive outcome.

• Like 1

.......You always have to be careful with what is said and not said with the Japanese. This announcement might mean something, or it could have been just to save face; we need to have much more info or some sort of progress report (which I haven't seen but maybe missed?).........

There was a passing comment on Autoline After Hours sometime back (when they had on some Ford guy….I forget who) that talks between Ford and Toyota were "proceding well." Though he didn't elaborate on what "proceeding well" meant.

Edited by mackinaw