Seat Memory on Fob?

PajamaGuy

While it's on order, I'm reading everything I can find - and I think I read that in addition to the 3-button switch on the driver's door, the Intelligent Access FOBs themselves store the Seat/Mirror positions EACH TIME the vehicle is turned off - then when that fob is used to enter the vehicle, it it signals the system to return the seat/mirrors to the stored positions.

That "dynamic" memory/recall is completely independent of the 3-button memories.

1. Is that correct?

2. If you're driving, and your better-half is the front-seat passenger and your fob is in your pocket, and her's is in her purse on the floor - who's fob receives what when the vehicle is shut off?

Thanks!

PJ

While it's on order, I'm reading everything I can find - and I think I read that in addition to the 3-button switch on the driver's door, the Intelligent Access FOBs themselves store the Seat/Mirror positions EACH TIME the vehicle is turned off - then when that fob is used to enter the vehicle, it it signals the system to return the seat/mirrors to the stored positions.

That "dynamic" memory/recall is completely independent of the 3-button memories.

1. Is that correct?

2. If you're driving, and your better-half is the front-seat passenger and your fob is in your pocket, and her's is in her purse on the floor - who's fob receives what when the vehicle is shut off?

Thanks!

PJ

From the owner's manual: (www.motorcraftservice.com -> owner guides)

Saving a Passive Setting

The vehicle stores the seating and mirror

positions for up to three remote controls

or passive keys. Next time the vehicle is

unlocked, the position of the seat and

mirrors will adjust to the last used position.

Each time you turn the ignition off, the

current seat and mirror settings are stored

on the remote control or passive key used.

Passive Recall

Note: If more than one passive key is in

range, the memory function will move to the

settings of the first key stored.

When you unlock the vehicle with the

remote control or pull the driver door

handle with a passive key in range, the seat

and mirrors will move to the position stored

on that remote control or passive key.

Reading this again was just as (un)clear to me as the first time I read it in the manual.

Seems perfectly clear to me. Which part is still confusing to you?

The answer to "who's fob receives what when the vehicle is shut off?" is "the one that is operating the vehicle when it's turned off". It further says that if two fobs are in range then it uses the first one that was stored in the vehicle.

Well gee, I sure do apologize for not knowing that, "the first one that was stored in the vehicle", means whichever fob allowed the vehicle to start. Of course that's obvious...silly me!

Does it get lonely up there?

Sometimes.

I don't think first one stored means the one that allowed the vehicle to start. I think it means the one that was programmed to the car first (first one listed if you did a list of the enabled keyfobs).

Sometimes.

I don't think first one stored means the one that allowed the vehicle to start. I think it means the one that was programmed to the car first (first one listed if you did a list of the enabled keyfobs).

Well, that makes even less sense. I could understand, even appreciate if the vehicle saved my configuration to my fob when I shut the car off, "IF" I was the one to start the car. But storing it to my wife's fob just because she's listed first doesn't seem logical.

Pillboy - haven't you gone out to the garage yet to figure it out?

heh...heh...

JammieGuy, thanks for not pretending to understand and making me feel even dumber than I already do. I'm still trying to figure out who's on first.

I think I need to do a controlled experiment where my wife gets into the front passenger seat with her remote first, then I approach the driver's door and get in and see where the car places the seat and mirrors. If it senses her fob first, does it then assume she is the driver and the car starts based on the signal from her fob? Even though the driver's door was not opened when she got into the car. But what if the second fob entering the car is the first fob that was "stored"? And what exactly does "first key stored" mean? The fobs are already programmed to the car when you get it.

My wife and I are similar in height and have the seat in virtually the same position. I will just get used to pushing the "2" on the door panel when I drive so that it moves the outside mirrors to where I like them...this is easier than trying to understand the manual for this topic.

I would really like to go back to having a key to stick in a hole. I also don't really like the way everything comes on when I push the "start" button on the dash (without my foot on the brake) to get into what used to be called "accessory" mode. Having the dash all lit up is like being in "on" (without the engine running) in a traditional car that has an actual key. I have to believe this is energizing a bunch of relays that are normally on when the engine is running and do not need to be on if you just want to sit in the car and listen to Howard Stern.

JammieGuy, thanks for not pretending to understand and making me feel even dumber than I already do. I'm still trying to figure out who's on first.

I think I need to do a controlled experiment where my wife gets into the front passenger seat with her remote first, then I approach the driver's door and get in and see where the car places the seat and mirrors. If it senses her fob first, does it then assume she is the driver and the car starts based on the signal from her fob? Even though the driver's door was not opened when she got into the car. But what if the second fob entering the car is the first fob that was "stored"? And what exactly does "first key stored" mean? The fobs are already programmed to the car when you get it.

The IA keys have to be added to the vehicle in order, one after the other, whether it's done at the dealer or at the factory. In the car's memory there is a list of fobs (you can have more than 2). The first one in that list is the one it uses if it has 2 fobs in range at the same time.

If you use your fob to unlock the driver's door then your fob will be used to start the vehicle and the memory settings will go to that fob. If two fobs are both in range when the door is unlocked then it picks the first one listed in memory. That's the way it's written. But the only way to know for sure is to test it.

• Like 1

...as long as we're at it - See page 60 of the owner's manual:

You can use the keypad to:

• lock or unlock the doors

• recall memory seat and mirror positions (if equipped)

• program and erase user codes

• arm and disarm the anti-theft alarm.

The keypad can be operated with the factory set 5-digit entry code. The code is located on the owner’s wallet card in the glove box and is available from your authorized dealer. You can also create up to five of your own 5-digit personal entry codes.

.... keep reading

Programming a Personal Entry Code

To create your own personal entry code:

1. Enter the factory set code.

2. Press the

1·2 on the keypad within five

seconds.

3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Each

number must be entered within five

seconds of each other.

4. For memory recall feature, enter the

sixth digit

1·2 to store driver 1 settings

or

3·4 to store driver 2 settings.

.So, what does that mean - (what's throwing me off is that it only allows Driver #1, or #2, yet there are 3 seat/mirror memories on the door.)

1. Why are there 5 possible personal entry codes?

2. Why aassociate a "driver memory setting" to any/all of the 5 codes?

3. If I enter one of the 5 codes that has a driver memory setting associated with it, does the seat and mirrors auto-adjust to the cooresponding memory stored in the door buttons, or keyfob?

3. If the driver updates one of the first two driver memory settings on the door, does also update the keypad's memory?

4. When the vehicle is shut off, and the keyfob's memory is updated, does the keypad's memory also update? How about the door memory?

... Yeah, if I had my Escape I'd be out there now gathering answers...

...are you ready for this??? I sent an email to Ford - Here's part of the response:

To assist you, I sought the assistance of our Technical Subject Matter Expert. The description of the memory function for the seats is found on page 126 of your Owner’s Manual. The memory function for the seats and mirrors is separate from the key pad on the driver’s side b pillar. There are 3 presets for memory seats and mirrors as activated from the control panel on the driver’s door. The key fobs are not a part of the driver door control activated memory function. Basically whatever key is in range when the vehicle is shut off will have the latest seat and mirror position stored on it. When that key is used to unlock the vehicle the seats and mirrors move to that position. If the seats or mirrors are moved while driving and then the vehicle is shut off the new positions are then stored on that key fob. This is all automatic. The driver never actually manually programs the key fobs. The driver can only program the memory manually by using the door control pad.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I can't wait to get my Escape - this answer is not complete (I think). It pretty much dismisses page 60 and the Keypad memory recall.

...I would really like to go back to having a key to stick in a hole...

...All of those potential problems just so the driver doesn't have to ...

Not a good tradeoff IMO.

TY! I thought there must be a concise way of stating my resistance to the whole key-replacement-gizmo fad 2ic5rw7.jpg

...so I replied that what they're saying doesn jive with page 60. Here's what I got today:

You inquiry was escalated to our Technical Subject Matter Expert and based on our resources; the memory recall from the keypad is not related to any key fob. There are 2 memory settings allowed to be stored within the keypad to be associated with a key code. The procedure as outlined in the manual starting on page 60 is for the setting of this code and which of the two memory positions to store it in. Now whatever the seats and mirrors are set to when the code is programmed into the keypad and then either position one or two are selected for memory storage is what positions will be recalled whenever that particular code is entered in to the keypad to unlock the doors in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

===============================

I think I'll just wait until mine arrives...... Oh, wait - I've just got to stop by the dealer tomorrow and ask them...heh....heh... :angel: