Flickering HID's?

rk2112

Would this be related to the Escape having shutters in the HIDs like svtenthusiast skooled me on? Maybe the shutters are moving ever so slightly when encountering bumps. I think with lights that have such a well defined beam pattern and sharp cut offs that any body motion created by road irregularities would show as the headlights bouncing or dancing and it would be easier to see than with lesser headlight technology/design.

ok. I've noticed this too.. I've never had HIDs before, so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, as Pillboy mentioned they are such sharp beams that maybe it's just more noticable? I'm not sure.

It sounds like we are all having the same problem though.

Payed special attention this morning. I have two speed bumps coming out of my neighborhood along with other assorted bumps and smal potholes and I didn't notice any flickering. most of these bumps I hit on purpose to watch my lights. Lights were steady as a rock.

Payed special attention this morning. I have two speed bumps coming out of my neighborhood along with other assorted bumps and smal potholes and I didn't notice any flickering. most of these bumps I hit on purpose to watch my lights. Lights were steady as a rock.

You need to drive faster is all.

You need to drive faster is all.

Don't jinx me. I have been ticket free for quite a while now. But all these darn red light cameras! Its not that I want to run a red light, it just always happen to turn yellow when I'm about 20 yards from the intersection doing 40 mph. Do you slam on the brakes or hit the gas??

I have too noticed the flickering of my right headlamp over rough roads. I haven't owned a vehicle with HID's so I was thinking maybe it was normal, especially after hearing from you guys. It could be the movement of the arc (hid's use an electrical arc to make the light) or the headlamp shutter as someone else mentioned. The headlamps seem tight when I try to move the assembly with my hand.

I have to believe this is repeatable if it happens on a route you regularly drive. Enlist the aid of someone and have them (or you) stand by the side of the road and observe the headlights as the vehicle approaches. If they see nothing unusual and the driver does, I have to assume that what you are seeing is normal "bounce" of the beam pattern.