Nekkid Rear (with pics!!!)

pillboy

Well, I think those 2 dark spots on the bottom rims of the tailpipe covers are unsightly and you should clean them immediately! And I'm surprised you actually have cracks in your cement floor... where's the epoxy floor paint? :woot:

I have polished those off once already. Doesn't take much driving for them to appear again.

I would love to coat the garage floor, but there is way too much $h!t to move, so that ain't gonna happen. The pieces of the slab have not heaved or dropped anywhere after 27 years (cracks only), so it is OK as far as I am concerned.

Here is that small leather pouch. It arrived in the mail yesterday and is very nice quality. 4" x 6" will fit nicely in the center console.

360500876010 ebay item number

And whatever you do, dont fart in your Escape or it may look like this.

post-48549-0-29837500-1351171003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Escapism

How did you get the badges off, Pillboy??

I would be to afraid to damage the paint

It is really easy on a new car (it was a little harder on my Subaru which sat on the dealer's lot for quite awhile before I brought it home).

Make sure the area you are working on is clean so you don't scratch the paint with grime that is stuck to the finish.

Use a hair blower (a heat gun is too hot - don't use one) to warm the badge area. The length of time needed will vary with the temperature of the car and the ambient air temperature - just leaving it parked in the mid-summer sun is quite often sufficient.

Use dental floss (I used Glide only because that is what I use on my teeth) to saw back and forth using both hands between the badge and the body surface. What you are doing is cutting through the double-sided, sticky-back foam that is holding the badge to the paint.

This will leave some foam stuck to the badge and some foam stuck to the paint.

Use the hair blower again to warm the foam and adhesive stuck to the paint and rub your finger on the foam and it will roll up into a little ball and you can just pull it off the paint. If there is any residual glue remaining on the paint, just use a little 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol (get at a pharmacy or Target, WalMart, etc) and a clean microfiber cloth to remove it. The alcohol will not hurt the paint.

If you have never done this before, start with an easy badge first such as the "EcoBoost" one. The "TITANIUM" lettering are all individual letters, while "ESCAPE" is all one piece.

Note that if you decide to reattach a badge, you will most likely have to buy a new badge from the dealer as it is virtually impossible to put new sticky foam onto the old badges because of the intricate shapes. It IS possible, but I know of no one with that much spare time on their hands (Pajama Guy maybe). You would use 3M automotive trim and molding tape to reattach them. New badges can be quite spendy.

You can also try prying them off, but more risk of paint damage. OEM paint is baked on and most body shop paint is not, so I would be way more careful if a body panel had been freshly repainted.

Also, if you decide to try this on other cars, some emblems have pins on the back of them with corresponding holes in the body panel to facilitate lining up the badge straight or centered.

Your no-badge look is fantastic, Pillboy. Are you planning to leave the Blue Oval as-is?

Thanks.

The Blue Oval in back has a depression where it is attached and if you removed it (if you can...I have no idea) the space it occupies remains. I was considering getting a vinyl overlay made with the Ford script on a red background for both the front and rear ovals (my wife's favorite color is red).

Edited by pillboy

Here is that small leather pouch. It arrived in the mail yesterday and is very nice quality. 4" x 6" will fit nicely in the center console.

360500876010 ebay item number

I may have missed this topic, what will this help with? I don't really like the center console, to deep and can get to things very easily.

My bad, I should of started a separate topic for the center console. But your right, which is why I bought a small leather pouch to hold everything and a coin pouch.

Do you like it? Is it easer to get things out of the center console? The coin pouch is part of it? Is it easy to get the coins from it? That's probably my biggest complaint, no place with in reach (other than the cup holders) to hold my junk and change. Really miss my center tray on the edge.

Sorry for all the questions....

Lenny