A little bouncy

davidg716

Anyone else notice their escape riding a bit bounce at speeds higher than 30mph, specifically with the 18" wheels?

I checked the tire pressure and it was a bit over inflated, 45psi compared to the recomended 35psi it wasent as harsh after that but its still there.

What PSI are you all running yours at? Has anyone else noticed this?

Ford inflates the tires to 45 for shipping to avoid flat spots. The dealer is supposed to reduce it to the recommended pressure. Do not run less than recommended but you can usually go a few psi over recommended for better handling and fuel economy with no problems.

My tire pressures were high as delivered but I reduced the pressure to the recommended 35 psi and am pleased with the ride. This Escape is my first front wheel drive vehicle and it is also the smallest wheelbase vehicle I've ever owned. I am pleased with the ride given the short wheelbase which I suspect is responsible for davidg716's bounce perception. I would describe the ride over similar, repeated road anomalies like a bridge with sections more as a proposing motion but bouncing works as well. Note, I have the 19" wheels but I wouldn't think that would make much difference except the wallet when it comes time to replace the tires.

I havent been anywhere i can get above 60 so far, all toll roads around here =(

I need to go back to the dealer and try driving another one to see if its something with my car, or its the same on all of them.

On the plus side it handles potholes and rail road tracks very well. Its just the constant boucning driving down any road, reguardless of condition.

Have you looked up in your wheel wells? I only say that because the start of my bad experience with the VW dealer here was when my brand new passant road very bad and when I got home I discovered that they didn't remove the plastic shipping blocks that are lodged in the coil springs. Maybe something similar?

Edited by Escapism

No blocks or anything else blocking the springs...

but if there were blocks in the springs, wouldn't that make it stiff?

Thats actually what i meant, that the ride was a bit too stiff, it seems like you can feel every inperfection in the road. Like the springs are too tight and not giving enough, but like i said, when driving over a pot hold or manhole cover that is below the road, or going over railroad tracks, the ride is really nice.