2013 Fusion - Getting Tint

nmadole

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'd certainly stick to the law, but just because you can't legally add tint to the windshield doesn't mean you can't add it to the sides and rear. You basically want to keep out light that makes the interior hot and stresses the AC, so putting it in those places may help a lot, especially on the large rear window. There's a beautiful summary of the laws for each state here.

That tint laws site hasn´t been updated since it was sold in 2013. There are tons of inaccurate information. For up-to-date listings it´s better to check out this one...

• 2 weeks later...

In Idaho front side it's 35%, rear side 20%. I haven't had my Fusion's windows tinted and haven't checked into it yet!
I did have my previous vehicles done, the last a Sport Trac which had privacy glass from Ford on the rear, and rear side windows so I had the front side done to match the rear side, which was 20%. Not legal, but it looked great. In the 8 years I had the Sport Trac I was never stopped for tint (or anything else)
That said, I have noticed that as I've gotten older the tint definitely had an affect on how well I could see out the side windows.

If you do have 20% or darker tint, don't be surprised if you get stopped and the cop has his hand on his weapon! You would be smart to open your window and keep your hands on the wheel. Just my 2¢ worth!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here on the central coast of California, a local glass,company quoted me $400 to do both of our 14's.

That's a good price. IIRC my C-Max cost was about $245. In Minnesota the laws changed several years ago because cops said there was a risk when they couldn't see in the vehicle. MN law states for passenger cars 50% maximum all the way around, 35% front and any darkness back for SUV and vans. That's why with my new Fusion, I am going to wait until I move to AZ to have my windows tinted and do 20% rear and 35% fronts. My only concern with 20% on the rear window is the self dimming mirror, but it might no be needed with that dark a tint.

Edited by transitman