2013 Escape impressions after 11K miles

svtenthusiast

Thanks for keeping us updated, SVT. I'm anxious to see what the FSE has to say.

Seems to me that there ought to be some room for adjustment on the rear latch so that it can be pulled in adequately tight.

I don't have an opinion on the squeaky brakes - mine haven't done it (yet). But I only have 950 miles on it.

The manual is a little weak on the subject of setting up the heated seats to "auto". In fact, I can't find any setting change information in the manual at all in relation to heated seats and remote start. Other than what you posted, of course. I think I'll back the car out of the garage tomorrow morning and then remote start it to see what happens. I know that the engine starts and the climate control seems to set itself to a more agressive mode, which tones down immediately to your normal settings when you get in and press the start button. I'm guessing that it goes into a quick "heat-up to 72 / cool-down to 72" mode. I'm a little weak on what all happens since I've only used it twice, at the end of a 12 hour night shift at work (we have a fenced-in guarded lot at our facility, so I don't worry about starting the car unattended).

I also will check to see if the seats heat. In fact, I'll leave the driver's seat turned on.

I won't check the outside number pad - I really don't see the usefulness of the keypad with the remote start and keyless system. At least not for me, and not yet. Still learning all the functions on this vehicle. It's a lot more complex than anything I've had in the past as far as electronic gadgets are concerned.

I don't have the autowipers so I can't test that function on my vehicle. I just have the regular interval wipers.

You really ought to read some older posts - this all has been discussed and researched months ago.

1. The A/C (in heat mode) comes on when under 50 degrees to dry the air to prevent fogging. It shows "off" in the dash display to not confuse the driver.

2. The seats do NOT come on during remote start - it's NOT available. The next edit of the manual should not list it.

3. The driver memory via the B pillar pad is another NOT available and should be corrected in the next printing.

4. Only if it's raining hard enough to cause the auto-wipers to go into "continuous" wiping will the headlights come on - when auto-wipers are intermittent, they will not light.

• Like 1

As promised, I did the remote start test this morning. I backed the car out of the garage while my coffee was brewing, and let it cool off for about an hour. It's about 58 in the garage, and 25 outside so I wanted to make it at least somewhat realistic. By the way, I did set the parking brake when I had it in the driveway. Although the chances of the car jumping from Park to Drive are about zero, there's no use teasing fate.

After drinking my coffee (very important for my ability to function these days), I started it remotely and let it run about 6 or 7 minutes. At this point, I got in the car and pressed the start button once (I did NOT have to press the brake pedal to go from "remote start" mode to "driveable" mode). At this point, I was able to drive the car so I took it out for about 8 miles to fully warm it up.

Observations:

Despite leaving the heated seat on "2", it did not heat until I was in the car and had pressed the start button.

The climate control system was noisier before pressing the start button, as if the fan speed was higher and maybe it was recirculating inside air. It quieted down after I hit start. I'm not sure if it was coming out of different ducts or just the floor as I had selected. Forgot to check.

It was comfortable inside the car when I got in, not overly hot or cold. I suspect that part of the reason it was comfortable is that it probably needed to sit outside all night to get things cooled way down to the ambient temperature. Still, the 2 times I used it in the real world, it was comfortable when I got in after about 8-10 minutes of running.

Not much else to say for now. I'll try to be more observant of the HVAC functions the next time I use remote start to see what else it does.

You really ought to read some older posts - this all has been discussed and researched months ago.

1. The A/C (in heat mode) comes on when under 50 degrees to dry the air to prevent fogging. It shows "off" in the dash display to not confuse the driver.

2. The seats do NOT come on during remote start - it's NOT available. The next edit of the manual should not list it.

3. The driver memory via the B pillar pad is another NOT available and should be corrected in the next printing.

4. Only if it's raining hard enough to cause the auto-wipers to go into "continuous" wiping will the headlights come on - when auto-wipers are intermittent, they will not light.

I know it was posted before but I don't care. It was posted here becuase it's a problem and has been reported to the dealer as such. It does not work as it is printed in my owner's manual. Features that are supposed to work as advertised but don't.

Why would we want the heated seats to not come on when remote starting?

Why wouldn't we want the headlamps on when it's lighly raining?

You are confusing the "A/C off" when it's cold and really ON, and the MFT bug that started with 3.5.1 where the MFT A/C light and HVAC control are not syncronized.

Edited by svtenthusiast

As promised, I did the remote start test this morning. I backed the car out of the garage while my coffee was brewing, and let it cool off for about an hour. It's about 58 in the garage, and 25 outside so I wanted to make it at least somewhat realistic. By the way, I did set the parking brake when I had it in the driveway. Although the chances of the car jumping from Park to Drive are about zero, there's no use teasing fate.

After drinking my coffee (very important for my ability to function these days), I started it remotely and let it run about 6 or 7 minutes. At this point, I got in the car and pressed the start button once (I did NOT have to press the brake pedal to go from "remote start" mode to "driveable" mode). At this point, I was able to drive the car so I took it out for about 8 miles to fully warm it up.

Observations:

Despite leaving the heated seat on "2", it did not heat until I was in the car and had pressed the start button.

The climate control system was noisier before pressing the start button, as if the fan speed was higher and maybe it was recirculating inside air. It quieted down after I hit start. I'm not sure if it was coming out of different ducts or just the floor as I had selected. Forgot to check.

It was comfortable inside the car when I got in, not overly hot or cold. I suspect that part of the reason it was comfortable is that it probably needed to sit outside all night to get things cooled way down to the ambient temperature. Still, the 2 times I used it in the real world, it was comfortable when I got in after about 8-10 minutes of running.

Not much else to say for now. I'll try to be more observant of the HVAC functions the next time I use remote start to see what else it does.

You and I did the same thing, found out that in fact that the remote start can be exited by simply hitting the start button this morning. Now it seems like one of us that tried it has had the same stalling issue as the original stalling member, as posted in a 3rd topic. Wonder if ours will start acting up now. Oh well, something else I will add to the list.

Side note on mileage, just an observation and I don't know how accurate it is yet. When I filled up today, I calculated the MPG like I always do, but I also reset the "average MPG" readout on the car. As I drove, I was seeing pretty crappy mileage in the highway with the cruise set at 71 mph. I mean like 22.2 - 22.5. I pulled up the climate control on the screen and saw that the AC was on, even though it was showing off on the regular climate control panel. So I double hit the button which turned it off on the touch screen as well.

From that point on, my mileage climbed to the 25.2 - 25.4 range.

Further experimentation tells me that the AC on/off indication on the touch screen does not seem to be having a significant effect on mileage as I had initially thought. In essence, there doesn't seem to be any change in reported average mileage with the touch screen reading AC On. My hypothesis was apparently wrong.

Not a biggie, but we ran out of windshield washer fluid but there was no warning about low level... I know someone else experienced the same, anyone else?

Ben

Yes, I had the same issue. Clearly states in the owners manual about a low washer fluid message. Snipped that from the manual along with the issue and sent it to the dealer.

On another note I also reported that the "A/C" indicator in MFT is actually turning itself on every time the vehicle is driven, after it's been overriden off previously. I am sure it's been happening all the time but I hardly ever look at the climate screen in MFT. It was 18 degrees the last 2 mornings I have noticed this.

On another note I also reported that the "A/C" indicator in MFT is actually turning itself on every time the vehicle is driven, after it's been overriden off previously. I am sure it's been happening all the time but I hardly ever look at the climate screen in MFT. It was 18 degrees the last 2 mornings I have noticed this.

The A/C compressor comes on when the temp is under 50 - to help defog windows. Over 50, and it doesn't.

The A/C compressor comes on when the temp is under 50 - to help defog windows. Over 50, and it doesn't.

I understand the concept of why you may want it on for defogging. The compressor can't mechanically run under 38 degrees, and what I am trying to say is I do not want the compressor running, that's why I override the setting. But it's not behaving.

Could it be the fluid froze? You get some low temps in that area. Most that I see starts it's good to -20. With the air movement the wind chill could be significantly lower.

Wind movement (wind chill) does not affect ambient temperature. The only use for wind chill ratings is for humans, what the temperature "feels like" with the wind factor.

I can say in my instance the fluid was not frozen.