2013 Escape impressions after 11K miles

svtenthusiast

My take on Escape's MPG is that AWD really hits the mileage - more than the claimed numbers. I average about 21 MPG (starting to drop now with the cold weather). As a test, I've tried getting up to highway speed (say 60), holding it in cruise, and resetting the MPG. Even in that ideal situation, I can't get upto 25MPG.

I'm not sure how much to believe the intelligent AWD display, but it shows all tires engaged at just about any level of acceleration. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nice review. Thanks for posting.

I agree with the fuel tank capacity. I wonder why they run the display to 0 miles even though there are 2 gallons remaining in the tank.

Aside from the cheap floor mats, I have a passenger door misalignment at the top of the door. No leakage, but it does look wrong.

If I had to be really critical, it would be with the voice commands (or lack thereof) with MFT. My biggest gripe is music selection. Although I can "browse albums" - I would like to be able to browse more than just the first screen. The lack of a "scroll up" and "scroll down" command prevents going beyond that. Also, there is no ability to "browse artists."

Also, I've yet to figure out how to adjust temperature for both sides of the cabin with a voice command. Only seems to work on the driver's side.

Added to my review:

Gas tank needs to be larger, quite small at 15.1 gallons. Plus fuel gauge is preemptively going to empty, when on empty only takes at the most 13 gallons.

Nice review. Thanks for posting.

I agree with the fuel tank capacity. I wonder why they run the display to 0 miles even though there are 2 gallons remaining in the tank.

Aside from the cheap floor mats, I have a passenger door misalignment at the top of the door. No leakage, but it does look wrong.

If I had to be really critical, it would be with the voice commands (or lack thereof) with MFT. My biggest gripe is music selection. Although I can "browse albums" - I would like to be able to browse more than just the first screen. The lack of a "scroll up" and "scroll down" command prevents going beyond that. Also, there is no ability to "browse artists."

Also, I've yet to figure out how to adjust temperature for both sides of the cabin with a voice command. Only seems to work on the driver's side.

You are welcome. There was a TSB on the door alignment at the top of the door for the 2012 Focus, since this is the same chassis it may lend to a dealer resolution or TSB in the future.

When the climate control is in "dual" mode, which means seperate temperature selections, you are correct the passenger side cannot be adjusted by voice command. However, when in single mode (driver and passenger temps are locked in sync) they will both adjust via voice command. To go into single mode, either hold down the "auto" button for 5 seconds, or go into MFT climate settings and deselect "dual".

Have you tried the command 'page down' ? Works on many multipage lists including browse music.

My take on Escape's MPG is that AWD really hits the mileage - more than the claimed numbers. I average about 21 MPG (starting to drop now with the cold weather). As a test, I've tried getting up to highway speed (say 60), holding it in cruise, and resetting the MPG. Even in that ideal situation, I can't get upto 25MPG.

I'm not sure how much to believe the intelligent AWD display, but it shows all tires engaged at just about any level of acceleration. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm averaging only 21-22 with my Titanium AWD, The only time I've seen close to 28 was when right after I got gas, reset the meter and went down hill without using the pedal.

I'm averaging only 21-22 with my Titanium AWD, The only time I've seen close to 28 was when right after I got gas, reset the meter and went down hill without using the pedal.

Geesh. What are you doing to that poor Escape? My Edge Sport AWD is averaging almost 22. :\

Edited by NickF1011

Geesh. What are you doing to that poor Escape? My Edge Sport AWD is averaging almost 22. :\

He's just driving it normally. Look, right now I'm at 27 mpg average with mine. That's the first 1/4 tank. I do very good with the first 1/4 tank. But after that, driving the same way, it just seems like every time I accelerate the readout goes down by 1/10 a point. But to get that 1/10 back takes FOREVER. So I usually end up in the 23.5 range by the end of the little tiny small as gas tank. It's not bad, but to get that I have to drive so timid it's ridiculous. Not sure I made the right choice with this turbo. Edited by Escapism

On the maintenance side, I'm finally getting the first oil change done tomorrow at 9 000 kms (5400 miles), I'm not waiting for the light to come on!

I bought a K&N hi-flow air filter, and looked at the housing: can't believe I actually have to undo some bolts to get to the filter?! On any other car, you don't need tools to do this???

The manual goes to great lengths to make sure nothing gets into the intake, does it mean they don't really want the average owner to verify the filter?

Ben

...anyone else notice that the displayed MPG is about .5 to .7 higher than actual (if you figure mpg yourself)?

FWIW - after 2400 mi:

Average - 17.7

Best - 26.5

Worst - 14.4

Most of the time mine is within one-tenth of the actual. One time it was 1 off, but this has been the most accurate of any vehicle I have owned.

Well given that the freeway speed limits are 75mph and most traffic is going 75 - 80...I am going with the flow. Driving 55 with the bulk of traffic going 75+ would be unsafe and add hours to cross country journey. 55 is not practical in Texas, NM and the rest of the southwest. Our previous MKT got 19 in the same driving situations, just expected more than a 1 mpg improvement.

Wow, that's horrible. 20-21mpgs on the highway at roughly 75mph in the Escape. My F150 5.4L Screw 4x4 3.73 gears has averaged 19mpg with the CC set at 75mph (runs at ab out 2000-2500 rpms). I hope this isn't common for most new Escapes.

Edited by V8-X

Not sure I made the right choice with this turbo.

If you're not sure you made the right choice, and you're worried those feelings will haunt you until you get rid of it, why don't you try to negotiate an even trade with your slightly used Titanium for an Escape S with the 2.5L engine. You still get the styling and interior space with a drive train you'll feel comfortable with.

Finally got the oil changed today, and by the smell and look of it, I will not wait 5400 miles again, even if the computer says it's o.k.!

I went with full synthetic anyway. In case someone's wondering, the oil monitor reset procedure is quite simple: with the key on the Run position, press the brake and gas pedals simutaneously and the reset message will appear after about 20 seconds until it changes to System Reset.

Am I the first one to go to a K&N air filter?

IMG01320-20130109-0810.jpg

Does not change the sound even at W.O.T., like on my Charger R/T, because it's in a box, let's see if it makes a difference in mileage... So far the average has been 9.9l/100 kms (23.76 mpg).

Ben

If you plan to keep your Escape for a long time, I would get rid of that K&N filter. They just do not filter nearly as well as todays synthetic media air filters. Many a turbo has been replaced for 'dusting' due to a K&N filter. Just not worth it for the VERY minimal increase in flow, if any. Outdated technology from back when all OEMs used basic pleated paper filters.

I plan to get our oil changed at 5k and then continue on approx 5k intervals. The first few are on the dealer as part of the sale but will do them myself after that, switching to full synthetic when I am buying the oil.

Make sure the dealer uses 5W30, not 5W20 as most other non-ecoboost Fords use.

Edited by jcthorne

Finally got the oil changed today, and by the smell and look of it, I will not wait 5400 miles again, even if the computer says it's o.k.!

I went with full synthetic anyway. In case someone's wondering, the oil monitor reset procedure is quite simple: with the key on the Run position, press the brake and gas pedals simutaneously and the reset message will appear after about 20 seconds until it changes to System Reset.

Am I the first one to go to a K&N air filter?

IMG01320-20130109-0810.jpg

Does not change the sound even at W.O.T., like on my Charger R/T, because it's in a box, let's see if it makes a difference in mileage... So far the average has been 9.9l/100 kms (23.76 mpg).

Ben

It's not possible for an air filter to affect fuel economy in a modern fuel injected vehicle, regardless of what K&N implies.

Make sure the dealer uses 5W30, not 5W20 as most other non-ecoboost Fords use.

Are you sure? The manual says 5W-20 for the 1.6 and 2,5. For the 2.0 its 5W-30.

Just saying that so as not to confuse folks. Not sure what engine he has in his SEL.

Edited by Escapism

A dirty air filter will definitely affect mileage...

Not possible. A dirty filter simply lowers the amount of air entering the engine at any given time. The MAF sensor then determines the proper amount of fuel to add for the amount of air. A dirty filter will reduce air at a given throttle position and therefore reduce power but it will not cause the engine to use any more fuel.

Someone even did a test using a cloth diaper instead of a normal air filter. The car ran fine although it had virtually no power. Fuel mileage actually went up.

This was true with carburetors where the fuel supply was independent of the air supply but with modern engines it's simply not true any more.

Not possible. A dirty filter simply lowers the amount of air entering the engine at any given time. The MAF sensor then determines the proper amount of fuel to add for the amount of air. A dirty filter will reduce air at a given throttle position and therefore reduce power but it will not cause the engine to use any more fuel.

Someone even did a test using a cloth diaper instead of a normal air filter. The car ran fine although it had virtually no power. Fuel mileage actually went up.

This was true with carburetors where the fuel supply was independent of the air supply but with modern engines it's simply not true any more.

100% correct. Engine power is controlled via the butterfly valve that regulates air flow.

Are you sure? The manual says 5W-20 for the 1.6 and 2,5. For the 2.0 its 5W-30.

Just saying that so as not to confuse folks. Not sure what engine he has in his SEL.

In Canada, SEL = 2.0.

You can get leather and the 2.0 in the SE, but they are standard in the Canadian-spec SEL, so we went for that model.

The K&N debate has been going on on countless other sites... You can replace ''mileage'' with ''performance'' in my argument, then, and we'll both be right! ;-)

Ben

Edited by benlavigne

Try telling that to the many owners of 7.3l Powerstrokes that purchased turbos after installing 'reusable gauze filters'. In the end the problem was big enough that Ford released an upgraded servere duty low restriction filter assembly built by Donaldson. It uses a spiral wound corogated filter element. The filering limitations of the K&N type filters is well documented.

In most modern vehicles, replaceing the OEM synthetic media filter with a K&N type will not even result in any improvement in air flow/performance. They are an outdated design that does not offere any improvement except to the vendor's pocketbook.

Edited by jcthorne