2013 Escape impressions after 11K miles

svtenthusiast

Figured while I am finally able to sit down and relax over vacation that I would update everyone with an update on my 2013 Escape Titanium 2.0 FWD after 11,200 miles. Special ordered then delivered in July 2012.

No major issues so far, but quite a few minor ones. I have had it in the shop for:

Auto dimming rear view mirror would move itself down after a few days and I had to consistently readjust it back up to viewing level. Dealer replaced mirror and has not had to be readjusted for over a month.

Transmission was making a high pitched humming noise after parking in the quiet garage. Updated PCM with TSB software for this and eliminated this issue. Also helped a bit with a slow 1-2 shift and 6-5 coast down harsh downshift. Transmission is pretty good overall, but can give an undesired shift transition every once in awhile.

Cupholders and trim around shifter were creaking and cracking over bumps. Dealer took it apart and put felt tape underneath this area, seems to be better but hard to tell because the dash visor (where the CD slot is) makes a cracking noise over sharp impacts. Dealer ordered part and took 3 times to get the correct part for this. They just installed it today so we will see next time I take my route to work.

Various MyFord touch problems. Updated to 3.5.1 and although some things are better (clock seems to keep time now), there are a few things broken such as the active+fixed guidelines for the rear camera continually turn themselves off. I have to turn them back on in the settings and they keep for an undetermined amount of time then act up again. Also, the climate screen shows the A/C LED is lit, even though the lower HVAC control says "A/C OFF".

Side front fender fake grill vents were trying to fall off, so they replaced both of them. There seems to be a small area at the leading edge of these that has double sided tape, otherwise the rest just clips in. Poor design.

Sounds like a low rumble is beginning from the rear of the vehicle now that it's cold outside. Switched rims/tires with winter set and no change. Let the dealer know and will check out when/if it gets worse. Sounds to me like a bad wheel bearing.

Rear brakes squeal when cold in reverse or forward upon light pedal application. Sometimes the front rotors will do it too, but not constant like the rear. Dealer emailed Ford about this and there is also an SSM on this for front brake squeal when they are hot, they are engineering a new caliper mounting piece, probably won't help my situation. I am thinking brake pad material issues.

Now that the heating season is upon us, I leave my HVAC in AUTO mode most always. When I let the vehicle sit for an hour or so after driving for a length of time, the next time I start it up, heat will come out of the panel vents, instead of normally from the floor in the AUTO mode. If I try to override auto and select floor it doesn't make a difference. Dealer tested the module and no codes stored. They emailed Ford and also I will take it back in the next time it does it so they can scan for codes while it's doing it.

Exhaust rattle developed shortly after 11K miles, coming from rear tailpipe area when vehicle is cold and idling. Can press on rear tailpipes which quiets the vibration through the body. Sounds like a bad mount is allowing noise through to the body.

Wind noise around the "B" pillar of drivers side door under certain wind direction and outside conditions, was like this from day 1, just forgot to note it here..

Rattle in rear cargo area, sounds either like cargo trim or the rear liftgate moving around.

Now for some positives:

Lifetime average for vehicle is 28.3MPG and have got up to 33MPG hand calculated on a vacation trip. I drive 80 miles a day to/from work and I am happy with this gas mileage for an SUV. http://www.fuelly.co...csvt2060/escape

Power liftgate is more useful than I thought it was going to be. No problems with operation like others thankfully.

HID headlamps are exceptional at night and I like the added touch of the LED running lamps, very classy looking. I have noticed some light shake over bumps at night but others have experienced the same and I am thinking it might be characteristic of HID lamps. Cornering lamps are a nice unadvertised extra touch. They activate when turning the steering wheel or using the turn signal under 20MPH.

LOVE the power, smoothness, torque, sound of the 2.0L EcoBoost engine. Doesn't drive or sound like a 4 cylinder, no wonder it won an award. Hands down the best part of the vehicle.

Like the vista panoramic moonroof, but can't appreciate it much since it doesn't cover the forward edge of the cabin. Looks beautiful to the passengers though.

Handling, steering, stability, and overall quietness of the cabin is excellent (do get a little wind noise at the driver's B-pillar depending on conditions). Drives like a taut sporty type car.

Use the remote start system more than I thought I would now that it's colder out. Lifts engine idle and provides quick heater output after only a few minutes of starting and getting out on the road. Slick operation, enter vehicle it reminds you it's on remote start and simply hit the start button and it transitions to drive mode without having to restart the vehicle.

Feedback for improvement:

Needs a light in the center console, even during the day it's hard to find anything in it. It is also pretty small.

Needs more room near the right of the gas pedal. When wearing bigger shoes or boots you constantly rub against the plastic console piece down there. And yes mine has the newer trip piece per the recall.

Needs a real left foot rest and better floor mat coverage. The floor mats are already wearing and I just put the winter mats in and they are pitiful the way they hardly cover any of the area of the floor where wet snow will be coming off your feet.

Needs better lighting in the cargo area.

Would be welcome to get a better trip computer system in the IP cluster. It's using the Focus style dash and it's limited. Would like more of the typical Ford readouts. It would also be nice to adjust the ambient lighting and drivers door keypad from MyFord touch like other Ford vehicles.

Rain sensing wipers are leaps and bounds better in operation than my Focus. Same issue though, the "rain lamp" function does not work in rain sensing mode which defeats that function when it's not dark enough to activate the headlamps. Dangerous in bad weather conditions, I have to remind myself to override the autolamps and turn them on with the headlamp switch.

Would be nice if the hood was lifted by hydraulic lifts instead of the hood prop, especially on higher end models. A gear head like me would like to have this and it wouldn't cost too much.

Wish you could activate the fog lamps once and they would stay on the next time the headlamps turned on, but they don't and it's the same as my Focus was. Not a big deal.

Not sure why the heated seats do not warm when the remote start is used, even when you leave them on the last time you exited the vehicle. Thought that was part of the point of the remote start and the owners manual is wrong about the function of these.

Wish they used a Michelin tire instead of the Continental street type of tire on an SUV. Continentals have been OK so far though, but this model is known to wear pretty fast with the tread design used.

Gas tank needs to be larger, quite small at 15.1 gallons. Plus fuel gauge is preemptively going to empty, when on empty only takes at the most 13 gallons.

Cupholders are OK, but not great. If you have a water bottle in them it tends to shake, and fall over since there is a gap between the two holders. Noticed on the new ones shipping they have a plastic peice bridging that gap that you can remove if needed.

Summary:

Overall, very nice vehicle and enjoyable to drive. Awesome technology features. Looks good and get alot of positive comments on the style and Deep Impact Blue color, which is one of my favorites. Capability is good and gas mileage is reasonable, is safe and stable on the highway. Assembly seems average, probably better now that they have been building them for awhile now. First year glitches are pretty rough on my vehicle, hopefully they improve quickly. Fortunately mine has not been part of the engine recalls. Fits my needs for now, that is until they come out with the Fusion ST I am hoping for, with 2.0 EcoBoost and 6 speed manual transmission!

Edited by svtenthusiast
  • Like 4

LOVE the power, smoothness, torque, sound of the 2.0L EcoBoost engine. Doesn't drive or sound like a 4 cylinder, no wonder it won an award. Hands down the best part of the vehicle.

Most definitely! I've driven (as a rental vehicle, or part of a manufacturer/dealer sponsored event) a Focus ST, Escape, Edge, and Jaguar XF with the 2.0L EcoBoost, and this engine performed admirably in each one. In fact, I'd say the 2.0L EcoBoost is Ford's best mass market passenger car & utility vehicle engine to date!

Thanks for your detailed report and best wishes for many more enjoyable miles in your esacape, svtenthusiast!

• Like 1

Rear brakes squeal when cold in reverse or forward upon light pedal application. Sometimes the front rotors will do it too, but not constant like the rear. Dealer emailed Ford about this and there is also an SSM on this for front brake squeal when they are hot, they are engineering a new caliper mounting piece, probably won't help my situation. I am thinking brake pad material issues.

Wish they used a Michelin tire instead of the Continental street type of tire on an SUV. Continentals have been OK so far though, but this model is known to wear pretty fast with the tread design used.

Same issue with brakes in reverse. It is not a constant problem, but seems to raise its head more when the brakes come in contact with salt.

Ford's hands were pretty much tied when the tire choice. Look on tire rack and there are almost no choices.

Thanks for your report. My wife and I are looking at a Escape for next year perhaps (late 2013)and this feedback is valuable. I understand the road noise from the 'B' Pillar. I had that on my Fiesta. I wrote it off because my seat and profile is right next to it and my hearing is still pretty good although selective. Tires, I heard that about Continentals and Pirellis with quick wearing treads. Do you plan to switch? I'm sorry about the false side vents. I'm of the school of thought either you have real ones or don't at all. They are nice to look at however. Love the colour! I saw a Fusion in the lot in the Deep Impact Blue, very sharp!

Thanks again and many more happy miles svt!

"Also, the climate screen shows the A/C LED is lit, even though the lower HVAC control says "A/C OFF"."

Noticed this the other day, thought it was just a fluke, guess its a bug in the system.

Your not seeing your car shake/idle heavy while at stop lights are you? I'm still not 100% convinced this is normal, especially after Ford had to replace my engine mount.

Great report!

And I would like to add that a centered, overhead light is needed where the sunglass holder is located.

My brakes still squeal when heated up.

My lift gate doesn't latch every now and then.

And I agree that the transmission does some funny shifting every now and then. It has also happened when I use the cruise control when I push the accelerate button, it will downshift to get to my desired speed, but then will stay in that gear (like 3000rpm) even though I'm at 60mph.

Most definitely! I've driven (as a rental vehicle, or part of a manufacturer/dealer sponsored event) a Focus ST, Escape, Edge, and Jaguar XF with the 2.0L EcoBoost, and this engine performed admirably in each one. In fact, I'd say the 2.0L EcoBoost is Ford's best mass market passenger car & utility vehicle engine to date!

Thanks for your detailed report and best wishes for many more enjoyable miles in your esacape, svtenthusiast!

Thanks aneekr!

Same issue with brakes in reverse. It is not a constant problem, but seems to raise its head more when the brakes come in contact with salt.

Ford's hands were pretty much tied when the tire choice. Look on tire rack and there are almost no choices.

Ford has enough clout if they wanted to specify lets say a Michelin Latitude Tour (which they use on the Edge) they could go to the manufacture and say "hey, we plan to sell about 500,000 Escapes which means 2 million tires, build this size for us"

Seems like they are getting a good deal on Continental right now, as they use the same model on the current Focus, Escape, and Fusion. Suprising, they got burned on the first generation Escape, the Continental ContiTrac SUV was a terrible tire, would chop and make horrendous tire noise after a few thousand miles.

Also, the aftermarket will be there once they start wearing out on these things in a few years.

Thanks for your report. My wife and I are looking at a Escape for next year perhaps (late 2013)and this feedback is valuable. I understand the road noise from the 'B' Pillar. I had that on my Fiesta. I wrote it off because my seat and profile is right next to it and my hearing is still pretty good although selective. Tires, I heard that about Continentals and Pirellis with quick wearing treads. Do you plan to switch? I'm sorry about the false side vents. I'm of the school of thought either you have real ones or don't at all. They are nice to look at however. Love the colour! I saw a Fusion in the lot in the Deep Impact Blue, very sharp!

Thanks again and many more happy miles svt!

I wanted to switch, but as posted above, there isn't a exact match in a Michelin tire. They have been OK with decent dry pavement traction and have stayed quiet so far, but I couldn't imagine taking them off the pavement or in snow conditions. I bought a 16" steel rim/tire package for the winter which has Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires, which are great---quiet on the highway and get better gas mileage than the OEM rims/tires.

Your not seeing your car shake/idle heavy while at stop lights are you? I'm still not 100% convinced this is normal, especially after Ford had to replace my engine mount.

Not that I have noticed out of the ordinary. When the vehicle is cold you notice more it's a 4 cylinder at idle, but when it's warm it's smooth and quiet as a V-6.

And I agree that the transmission does some funny shifting every now and then. It has also happened when I use the cruise control when I push the accelerate button, it will downshift to get to my desired speed, but then will stay in that gear (like 3000rpm) even though I'm at 60mph.

It's all in program logic, mine will hold like that sometimes depending on conditions or if it thinks it's getting a consistant load like hilly terrain and it's going to have to downshift and upshift back and forth. It will settle back into 6th gear after awhile. Don't think it's a fault but normal operation there.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Thanks for the report!

I'm curious if you had an oil change during that period? If so, at what mileage, and was it after the indicator light came on?

I am at 8500 kms (5 000 miles), and I have not seen the indicator light... I am a every-5000 km (3 000 miles) kind of guy usually, but wanted to give the system a try, but I can't stand it anymore and will bring it in for it's first change without waiting for the signal!

Ben

Thanks for the report!

I'm curious if you had an oil change during that period? If so, at what mileage, and was it after the indicator light came on?

I am at 8500 kms (5 000 miles), and I have not seen the indicator light... I am a every-5000 km (3 000 miles) kind of guy usually, but wanted to give the system a try, but I can't stand it anymore and will bring it in for it's first change without waiting for the signal!

Ben

You are welcome. I changed it at 3,000 miles, but didn't reset the oil change monitor. At exactly 10,250 miles it indicated "oil change due". Seems pretty lofty but I do drive almost all highway and put on the mileage in about 6 months, and it says the monitor is "intelligent" to tell lengths of trips, type of driving, temperatures, loads, etc.

I just changed it again at 11,200 miles and reset the oil change monitor. Not too impressed with the oil life system feedback and function, especially because it's invisible unitl it finally indicates to change the oil now. At least it works, my 2012 Focus didn't, but I was starting to wonder as you are until it finally popped up.

The max interval is supposed to be 10K miles or 1 year.

Ford has total control over the tires. They may not do this for every vehicle but I know personally of one vehicle where Ford went through about 20 different tire formulations before finding one they liked. Michelin makes at least 4 different versions of the Pilot HX MXM4 for different mfrs.

• Like 1

Updated to 3.5.1 and although some things are better (clock seems to keep time now), there are a few things broken such as the active+fixed guidelines for the rear camera continually turn themselves off.

The active-fixed guidelines turning themselves off is about the only issue I've had. I also have an issue that the headlights come on at startup, and stay on until I either turn them or the car off. Even in daylight, with the selector set to automatic. It's happened twice, just as the rear camera guidelines have turned off twice.

"

Your not seeing your car shake/idle heavy while at stop lights are you?  I'm still not 100% convinced this is normal, especially after Ford had to replace my engine mount.

I've noticed this with my Escape... especially after driving at a higher speed, then coming to a dead stop, it seems to idle rough... definitely does not seem normal.

@svtenthusiast or anyone....is the PCM TSB your ref... TSB 12-8-23, dated Aug 28? Thanks!

TSB

12-10-13

• 6F35 TRANSMISSION - HUM/BUZZ AFTER IGNITION KEY IS TURNED OFF

Only applies to vehicles built 7/20/12 or earlier with the 1.6 or 2.0 and 9/20/12 or earlier with the 2.5.

Edited by svtenthusiast

TSB

12-10-13                                                        

• 6F35 TRANSMISSION - HUM/BUZZ AFTER IGNITION KEY IS TURNED OFF

Only applies to vehicles built 7/20/12 or earlier with the 1.6 or 2.0 and 9/20/12 or earlier with the 2.5.

This would be mine! I couldn't find this particular TSB but have copied your info. Thanks!

Very complete write up, thanks for your impressions.

I've read here and on other forums about folks who are having a variety of issues, which I attribute to individule vehicles and not a wide spread problem. Overall this is a great vehicle and I must be one of the lucky ones because mine has been perfect.

After 6053 miles, I don't have any interior squeaks or rattles, no transmission issues other than an ocassional harder than normal, but not harsh, downshift on the exit ramp.

Since the 3.5.1 update my MFT has been working as designed, no clock issues and no shutting off of the rear camera guidelines.

My side grill vents are also a little loose and I will have the shop look at them at my next oil change. I don't have any sounds from the rear, but I do have a low speed thumping sound from the left front, will also ask about that at the oil change.

I don't have any brake squealing other than after they were wet, and that's only until the oxidation or moisture is gone. The brakes are a little grabby when I leave work and they're cold.

It seems to take the heater a long time to heat the car, I attribute that to the size of the interior.

Until my last fill up, my average lifetime mpg's has been 28.0 or better for 50/50 driving. My daily mpg's are, now that's it's cold, in the 23.5 to 24.3 range and in warmer temps in the 25-28 range depending on how much stop and go I'm doing. The best I have gotten for extended miles is 36.8 which was last summer, traveling with the cruise at 62 mph, on a flat, mostly straight two lane highway.

I also like the brightness and range of the HID's and mine also shake a little. The led strip looks good and serves as DRL's in cloudy low light conditions, saving on the life of the HID's. The cornering lights don't seem to really do too much, at least in my daily application, not a lot of light is cast, but still a nice touch.

I'm pretty light on the throttle to save fuel, but this little powerhouse has plenty of power when you need it. I have noticed a bit of touque steer when you get on it.

One thing that's bugs the crap out of me is how much rain and washer fluid from the windshield enters the car when the front windows are open a crack.

I agree there needs to be more light in the back. I'm going to look for an brighter replacement bulbs for the rear cargo area.

I would also like to see lifts instead of a prop rod for the hood, and a larger fuel tank!

Everyone who have looked up close, sat in or rode in mine are very impressed. Unless trends or other factors force a change, I think this Escape will be around as long as the previous design.

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed report. Was an interesting read. Wish we could achieve your milage numbers. So far at 2500 miles we are at 20.7mpg average for mostly highway miles. We also note the early indicaton of empty fuel tank. Refill of 11 to 11.5 gal when reported less than 20 miles to empty. Long way from 15 gal. Severely limits range to under 300 miles per tank. There really needs to be a recalibration of the instrument cluster to use about 2 more gallons before reporting empty. Its a programmable variable so it could be fixed, if indeed the tank really is 15.5 gallons.

• Like 1

You are welcome. The fuel tank is 15.1 gallons, small for this size vehicle, and like you said range is terrible especailly when getting 20MPG and when it's indicating empty so early.

What is your highway speed? Anything over 55MPH, your gas mileage starts dropping in exponentially. Add in that the vehicle is new, weather is colder, fuel is winter blend (for the northern folk), and any wind or other weather conditions and its easy to get a low number.

When I am driving to/from work I set the cruise from 58-62 MPH. Mileage really drops off after 65MPH on this vehicle. Also, when you are on the throttle hard enough to activate the turbo, it can cost a bunch of fuel (of course). I have several stop lights along the way, but coasting (using ADFSO--aggressive deceleration fuel shut off), accelerating reasonably, and not using cruise control in hilly terrain can make a big difference

According to studies backed by the department of energy, as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

Edited by svtenthusiast

Well given that the freeway speed limits are 75mph and most traffic is going 75 - 80...I am going with the flow. Driving 55 with the bulk of traffic going 75+ would be unsafe and add hours to cross country journey. 55 is not practical in Texas, NM and the rest of the southwest. Our previous MKT got 19 in the same driving situations, just expected more than a 1 mpg improvement.

Good news is that city milage is about the same for us which is a bit better than the 16 the MKT got. Overall an improvement but not what we had expected from the published numbers. The MKT was published at 16 and 20 and we got pretty close to that. We are no where near the 28 this Escape is supposed to get.

We love the mini ute though. Its fun to drive, has most of the features one could want and so far, build quality has been great. Our only problem so far is with the GPS being way out of calibration vs map data. Reading the SyncMyRide forums, its a known issue with the current version MFT software.

Edited by jcthorne

Well given that the freeway speed limits are 75mph and most traffic is going 75 - 80...I am going with the flow. Driving 55 with the bulk of traffic going 75+ would be unsafe and add hours to cross country journey. 55 is not practical in Texas, NM and the rest of the southwest. Our previous MKT got 19 in the same driving situations, just expected more than a 1 mpg improvement.

Good news is that city milage is about the same for us which is a bit better than the 16 the MKT got. Overall an improvement but not what we had expected from the published numbers. The MKT was published at 16 and 20 and we got pretty close to that. We are no where near the 28 this Escape is supposed to get.

We love the mini ute though. Its fun to drive, has most of the features one could want and so far, build quality has been great. Our only problem so far is with the GPS being way out of calibration vs map data. Reading the SyncMyRide forums, its a known issue with the current version MFT software.

Well, not saying you are wrong or breaking the law by going with the flow of traffic at 75mph, but aerodynamics are what they are. Going those speeds is going to drop your fuel economy no matter what. That's whats tough about the EPA ratings, consumers think they should be meeting the highway number by simply being on the highway, even though they are traveling at a high rate of speed. That's the big reason for the large descripency in the 2013 Fusion Hybrid numbers people are currently complaining about. I am sure the numbers can be obtained, the question is if people are willing to slow down their fast paced lives to gain efficiency.

So if we take a 25% loss when traveling between 75-80, and your vehicle is rated at 28 highway, you lose 7MPG which equals 21MPG which is right in line with what you are seeing.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I drive 50 miles a day to and from work on a two lane highway and set the cruise at 60 mph. I really baby the throttle and have only been seeing an average about 24-25. Best has been 26. Tried premium which will maybe bring it up a mile or two, but too close to tell.

My previous 2007 Honda Civic Si was rated at 32 and the worst I ever got was 30. I consistently averaged 34.

I am a bit disappointed I'm not seeing 28, but once Spring comes back around I will reevaluate. Based on my previous experience with Civic, I was hoping to achieve 30 with the Escape.

Other than the so-so mileage and the whistle I hear from my driver's side door, I am loving the vehicle. MFT 3.5.1 took away most of my issues with MFT as well.