My first fillup (Hybrid)

lmp180psu

Just filled up my Hybrid for the first time tonight. The auto shutoff at the pump turned off at 9.999 gallons and I went 367.6 miles, so that's 36.8 mpg (easy math lol). It looks like it did fill up the tank too since when I got back in, the fuel gauge showed slightly above the Full line and dropped to exactly the full line as I drove a mile or two down the road.

A couple observations: The car trip computer said I used around 10.7 gallons ( I saw it was around 10.5 on my way home from work but didn't record the exact number), for an avg mpg of 34.2 (what it was before I reset the trip computer). Usually mpg calculators in cars overestimate the actual value, but this one seems to underestimate so far. I'll see if that continues. I know there have been discussions about the tank making the pumps shut off before the tank is actually full.

For the first tank, and the fact that weather conditions haven't been optimal for getting higher mpg (there were 2-3 days of snow and wet roads), I am fairly happy with the results so far. I have adapted my driving style to be more conservative. For the most part, it hasn't been a chore to drive more conservatively. Staying between 55 and 65 on the highway with occasional speeds toward 70, has been a bit more of a sacrifice, as I am used to being around 70 all the time.

To be honest I haven't had a lot of flat roads for a prolonged distance to test that out, but i have noticed that it does seem to "drag" a bit and slow down if I let it coast. It might have something to do with the 18" goodyears not being LRR tires.

Edited by lmp180psu

37mpg for first fill up seems pretty good! Keep us informed on prolonged mileage!

-Keith

Yep, i am pretty happy :). So far on this tank, I went out to dinner and shopping with mom for about 50 miles amd am averaging 39 or so. I'll try to keep this thread updated, and post more info about the gas gauge and if the tank is truely being filled all the way each time or is the pump shutting off early. I have my fuelly.com page linked in my signature too.

To be honest I haven't had a lot of flat roads for a prolonged distance to test that out, but i have noticed that it does seem to "drag" a bit and slow down if I let it coast. It might have something to do with the 18" goodyears not being LRR tires.

Well if its anything like a Prius/Camry Hybrid the drag is intentional to simulate engine drag. If you're going down hill you'll notice your speed never increases as the car uses more and more regenerative braking to recharge the traction battery.

Edited by expresspotato

Starting to think my mileage for my first tank was closer to what the trip computer said (34.2) or even a little lower,since i think the gas gauge is inaccurate or the gas tank will not allow the tank to get full. I am at exactly 1/2 tank according to the gauge and the trip computer says i have burned about a little over 4 gallons. I know the tank is 13.5 gallons so you would think at half tank it would be around 6.5 gallons used when the gauge reads half I have read a couple posts about issues with the tanks on the gas models, but heard nothing so far on the hybrid models. Has anyone heard of issues?

If the gas engine is running its the ADFSO (agressive deceleration fuel shut off) or the EV motor recapturing energy while decelerating.