Sudden Spike in fuel efficiency

broncosCA

It won't unless you're driving in conditions right for EV. But you'll notice the car will almost always put itself into EV once you get near home. This is a feature of the car and it uses GPS and a 2-4 week learning period. The car "learns" that you always come to this location everyday so whenever you get to it it switches to EV mode so you can quietly park it just as you quietly start it up and begin going in your day. Usually this is expected to only happen when you arrive close to "home" but I would expect this feature would work at other places as well if you go to them continuously for a period of 2-4 weeks. I would note however that I don't know how sensitive it's learning curve is. It may only work at "home" because you park in the exact same location everyday as where at work you may park at one end of the parking lot, or the other and the distances may be too various for the car to consider that location anything special?

Anyway, hope this helps!

ET Phone Home... :hysterical:

That is pretty cool actually!

• Like 1

This got me thinking about what my actual mpg is for just the gas engine. Solely when the gas engine is running I got 15.88mpg on my most recent tank of gas.

The math:

44.1 mpg (It's a little low since my wife drove about 10% of the miles and she gets like 35mpg)

11.6 gallons used

512.6 miles driven

328.4EV miles

184.2 ICE miles

184.2 miles / 11.6 gallons = 15.88MPG

Good thing I get EV miles...

Since the ICE produces all the energy stored in the battery, that's not the best comparison. If you could disconnect the battery and just drive around with the ICE, you might be able to say something about the ICE performance.

On the topic of "Sudden Spike in fuel efficiency", I have observed a spike over the past 2 warm spring days. This morning I got 55.1mpg on my commute into work, which is my personal best. I'm currently at a 52.5mpg average for my current tank of gas (~120 miles so far). If the weather stays warm, I'm expecting to eclipse 50mpg for the tank. I am happy with the increase in fuel economy with the rise in temperature.

My experience

In 01 - 10 degree weather I was struggling to get 40mpg

In 11 - 20 degree weather I was getting around 42.5mpg

In 21 - 39 degree weather I was getting around 45mpg

So far in 60 - 70 degree weather I'm aroud 52mpg (I still need more experience here, but the preliminary result looks promising)

With warm weather and efficient driving, 47mpg is easily attainable, which is something I wasn't so sure about back in October when I first bought this car.

post-48817-0-64086200-1365510457_thumb.jpg

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid now with 102K miles on it. I noticed that the car does not like it really cold or really hot. If it is below 40 or above 90, the mpg just bottoms out. The last few days in the DC area have been warm, and I have raised my lifetime mpg back up 2mpg. I lost about 4mpg going into the winter this year.