How bad are the blind spots?

Driven

Do I really need the driver assist package.

I currently have a 2011 Fusion, and it has the blind spot indicator lights on the sideview mirrors, which is kind of handy, but I could probably do without them. My lease is up, so I need to move to the 2013. I was originally going to get a fully loaded (driver assist and luxury pkgs, 2.0L) SE in my prefered color (black). By the time we got all the details worked out, the car we were talking about was no longer available.

Today, he told me that he can look for those options in another color (but no guarantees), or I could get a Titanium without Navigation, or the driver assist package. I had already told them that I didn't really care about navigation, but I do like the blind spot indicators, especially since the 2013 Fusions seem to have bigger blind spots. I don't really care too much about the rest of the driver assist package, so I would really like to get the opinion of those that already own one on how bad the blind spots actually are and if the indicators are more necessary.

I'm also not to sure about the big differences between the Luxury SE and the Titanium. I would have asked to have a remote start installed on the SE, so having it standard on the Titanium is nice, and it might have a better sound system? (not sure about that), but I'm not sure what else it offers over the SE with the packages. I have asked multiple salesmen and they don't seem to be very sure themselves.

I am really partial to the black and I'm not sure what other color I would like. I have thought about the Bordeux, or the silver, but I'm not sure if I would end up having color regret later. Because of my lease my options are more limited.

Right now my options are to give up the the driver assist package a nd get the Titanium in the color I want, or get the SE in another color with the driver assist package. Any and all insights will be appreciated. :)

Edited by Driven

The titanium has remote start, push button start with intelligent access, better sound system, ambient lighting not to mention some other appearance features!

I'm partial to the titanium, since that is what I ordered.

I can not answer about the blind spots compared to your current vehicle, tho I found it to not be a problem for me at all and decided not to spend more for driver assist package (but that's just me)!

I found my 08 much harder to tell where the back was when backing up. For that reason got the reverse sensing and camera on the 13. Even without those it is better than the 08. We have the SE because that is the only trim you can get the manual transmission in.

• Like 1

Guest RRF985

I got the Drivers Assist pack strictly because I hate the small wide angle mirrors that come standard. I love the BLIS system for the cross traffic alert and for changing lanes. Makes cutting off people easy. When the orange bulb goes out I move over. I really like the lane departure warning for long drives, the auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, and the 110v plug in the back seat as well. For the price of the pack you do get a lot of stuff. I'm very glad I got it.

• Like 1

Do I really need the driver assist package.

I currently have a 2011 Fusion, and it has the blind spot indicator lights on the sideview mirrors, which is kind of handy, but I could probably do without them.

This was the same way I felt, I had BLIS on my 2010 and while handy at times I figured I could live without them... I did not order them on my 2013 and haven't missed them. That package has other things in it but I didn't want any of them either, if others love them well that's great, but I chose not to get this package.

I found my 08 much harder to tell where the back was when backing up. For that reason got the reverse sensing and camera on the 13. Even without those it is better than the 08. We have the SE because that is the only trim you can get the manual transmission in.

I would have loved to get the Manual, but I really wanted the Hybrid and there is no such thing as a manual Hybrid. Even though I'm not going to get one, I like the fact that Dodge lets you have the manual transmission on all the Trim lines of the Dart. Wish more cars had that option. Is it too much to ask to have leather seats and a manual? (sorry for being off topic)

Edited by Toz

I'll not get into the debate over adjusting mirrors.........but the rear visibility ain't the best. The rear pillars are huge & the rear window is small. Center pillar is also fairly large.

I would vote either the little funky corner "blind spot" mirrors or the BLIS are a good idea. Like RRF985 I disliked the little mirrors in the corner = I have the BLIS.

Note neither the driver's information or BLIS are infallible. Change two lanes quickly (like at a merge) and the BLIS won't identify a car in the second lane. The driver's system makes more mistakes...............I'm backing into a parking space @ work in the morning & it warns about a vehicle approaching......um, it's 6:30am...I'm the only car in the lot - wtf? :hysterical:

Of the external features I like the adaptive cruise the best, then the BLIS, followed by the drivers info system (also like the auto high beams, auto lights............) The lane keeping system you can keep & the park assist is a novelty (it is fun to watch people stop to watch the car park...........and it is better than I could hope to be) not much parallel parking anymore.

I got the Drivers Assist pack strictly because I hate the small wide angle mirrors that come standard. I love the BLIS system for the cross traffic alert and for changing lanes. Makes cutting off people easy. When the orange bulb goes out I move over. I really like the lane departure warning for long drives, the auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, and the 110v plug in the back seat as well. For the price of the pack you do get a lot of stuff. I'm very glad I got it.

Completely agree. I felt like the driver assist package was good value because you got a lot of stuff for the $1k.

I also was not a fan of the corner blind spot mirrors - coming from driving a truck that had much larger mirrors, the mirrors on this car were already quite a bit smaller and the blind spot mirrors took up the spot I'd normally look in to check my surroundings.

The only blind spot that annoys me is the one made by the headrest and the B pillar, depending on where you have your seat positioned. It sometimes makes it tough to see things when you look over your left shoulder.

Obviously even with that and the raked roofline factored in, the car is a huge improvement over my truck with a cap that had dark tinted windows. I probably don't need the BLIS, but it's nice to not have to deal with that goofy second mirror. :)

• Like 1

I personally don't have any need for blind spot monitoring. In the last 15 years, I have driven over 300,000 miles, many interstate and I've never hit someone in my "blind spot". I did a custom order and the only reason I considered that package was for the 110v, auto highbeam and washers, I ended up passing as the BLIS and Lane Nanny just don't add any value for me and the first three features weren't worth over a grand to me. During my test drive, I found visibility to be better than my Chrysler 300 which I have no problem with(even though some complain about that car too) add in the MyFord Touch rear camera(didn't need it but have to get that for nav which I was a must being a regional rep) and I am not worried at all.

Wow! A lot of great answers. Thank you. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Last night I told the sales guy that I was considering the Titanium, but to see what was available in some of the other colors. I got a call today, and they believe that they have found a black SE with everything I wanted (including the Drivers assist package with BLIS). So now color will not be a deciding factor. It's going to come down to SE with BLIS, or Titanium without.

I'll be heading out tonight to check them both out.

Edited by Driven

I would have loved to get the Manual, but I really wanted the Hybrid and there is no such thing as a manual Hybrid. Even though I'm not going to get one, I like the fact that Dodge lets you have the manual transmission on all the Trim lines of the Dart. Wish more cars had that option. Is it too much to ask to have leather seats and a manual? (sorry for being off topic)

08 was cloth and manual and the 13 is leather and the manual. Would have gotten the titanium trim if available in the manual. Agree, more vehicles need to be available with a manual.

08 was cloth and manual and the 13 is leather and the manual. Would have gotten the titanium trim if available in the manual. Agree, more vehicles need to be available with a manual.

They would be if people bought them when they were available.

This is the whole reason I bought the Fusion. I could order a Leather, Heated Seat, Nav car with a manual. If you want one, the only thing standing between you and it are 6-8 weeks and $25,000. Ford won my business this way, it's the first new Ford I've ever owned.

• Like 1

Well, I ended up going with the Titanium. The extra features far outweighed the BLIS. I will just have to get used to those weird little mirrors. :)

The comment about the seats being more comfortable was correct. I probably would have been fine with the SE's seats but, after sitting in the Titanium, there was a noticible difference. The upgraded sound system not only sounds better, but it also makes the center console are look better. I had no idea that the intelligent access system worked like that. You never have to take your key out other than to use the remote start. That is going to be very nice. :)

Is the ambient lighting just the one color? I couldn't find a setting or switch to change it. I ask because my SEL had 6 or so different colors.

It also has the active park assist. I didn't ask for it and they never mentioned it, but I noticed it on the list of options when I got home. Has anyone been using it? How well does it work? I'm not sure if I could bring myself to trust it.

.......................It also has the active park assist. I didn't ask for it and they never mentioned it, but I noticed it on the list of options when I got home. Has anyone been using it? How well does it work? I'm not sure if I could bring myself to trust it.

It's better than you could ever hope to be at parallel parking :D Puts you a few inches off the curb and dead center in the space..........every time I've tried it. I'd get in the space but doubtful I'd be so consistent.

Drive along, hit the button, follow the instructions, done.

Settings for ambient lighting are on your MyFord Touch screen. Hit the setting gear, then choose vehicle on the left and ambient lighting on the right.

Although mine sometimes forgets that they're supposed to be on and I have to switch them off and back on to get it working again. Chalk it up to the MFT gremlins I guess...

Edit: Also, you get the front parking sensors as part of the park assist package. They're nice for parking in tight situations you're not familiar with, especially when the car's new and you're still getting used to it.

Edited by sarcastic6

Guest RRF985

Congrats on getting the car! I will say that IMO you made the best decision going with the Titanium. The Sport Seats are great. I would have made the same decision if i were in the same situation.

Thanks. I think it was the right decision too. :)

Settings for ambient lighting are on your MyFord Touch screen. Hit the setting gear, then choose vehicle on the left and ambient lighting on the right.

Although mine sometimes forgets that they're supposed to be on and I have to switch them off and back on to get it working again. Chalk it up to the MFT gremlins I guess...

Edit: Also, you get the front parking sensors as part of the park assist package. They're nice for parking in tight situations you're not familiar with, especially when the car's new and you're still getting used to it.

OK, great. Thank you. :) I think it is going to take me a little while to figure out where everything is.

You are right about it taking a while to get used to the feel of the new car. I though it had front sensors, but they didn't go off when I was getting close to the wall in fornt of me, so i just stopped and got out. It turns out that I was still a few feet away, and it just appeared to be closer from my perspective. The angle of view in my new car is different than it was in the 2011, so I think it is just going to take time to adjust,

It's better than you could ever hope to be at parallel parking :D Puts you a few inches off the curb and dead center in the space..........every time I've tried it. I'd get in the space but doubtful I'd be so consistent.

Drive along, hit the button, follow the instructions, done.

Impressive. I think I will be pretty nrevous when I try it for the first time, but this has made me feel a little better about it. Thanks :)