2013 Ford Mondeo? Why can't we have this?

Chris1970

i fully understand the differences between ROW vehicle markets and the US markets.

Same reason Walmart is a success here - cheapskate Americans. They've always gotten the better stuff............because they're willing to pay for it. A Mondeo cost close to an MKZ = they can afford to use more expensive parts.

Likely wouldn't fly here - already whining about the cost of a Fusion..............bump it up another $10,000 and see what happens.

And then you have to also factor in the dumbass American culture...........there's a reason we have Lexus, Acura, Lincoln, Infiniti. Americans are far too stupid (& vain) to accept that options/build are what makes the item cost $$$$. In America they need a big label to prove how much they spent. I mean really - you expect me to drive a $40,000 Camry? No way, I need a logo to prove I spent $40,000..............hence Lexus.

Not unique to Europe either (or more accurate, it is unique to America). You can buy $5,000+ Seiko in Japan...............think that would fly in America?

As someone that currently owns a car ('99 Cougar) with European headlights and taillights, let me point out a few things:

1. They required modifications and harnesses (for the tail lights) for them to work. While the head and tail lights bolted on with no problems however, the taillights required a different harness and also different bulbs. I also had to modify the head lamp assembly to accept the 3157 (turn signal) bulb since the Europeans do not use a 3157.

2. I had to make headlight beam and pattern adjustments. I had to make adjustments inside the headlight since they were designed for RHD and English roads (left lane driving). Everything on the left side was well lit up, but the right side was poorly lit. So I had to make headlight beam pattern and angle adjustments to get it close to US specs, otherwise I would blind people driving in the opposite lane.

3. Not everything works. The European Cougar head lamp assemblies have this neat driving light however, there's no plug for it in the US models since it's not available in the US models.

These are things that you should expect if you're planning to do a Mondeo Headlight (or even tail light) conversion.

My Advice if you're going to do this venture:

1. Do your parts research. Make sure you look at all the drawings so you have the applicable harnesses and various parts needed to make the conversion work properly.

2. Be ready to make modifications and adjustments. This may require modifying the actual head lamp assemblies or even rewiring. It may require cutting and splicing and since these being head lights you don't want to do a crap job on them. It'll also require beam pattern adjustments as to not blind others on the road and so that you can actually see in front of you.

3. Be ready to spend some money. This conversion is probably not going to be cheap and you might be surprised at the actual cost of the Mondeo head lamps (especially ones with Xenon HIDs).

4. Be patient. There may be newer US head lamps for the 2014 or 2015+ models. Doing a US to US conversion is a lot easier than doing a US to Euro conversion. I know I've been there and done it. I'm not trying to stray you away from it. I'll be honest, those Mondeo head lights are freaking sweet. I want to provide you my experiences and insights when I did my US to Euro conversion.

Remember the Mondeo IS the flagship model for Ford Internationally as there is no International Taurus or even Lincoln. That's why they are so much more expensive there.

Edited by HenryVIII

If I could get the MKZ with the fusion grill, I'd get it.

Not a fan of the silver mustache

Neither was I..........until I saw some real world pictures posted in a thread here - looks much better in the real world than ads & pics I've seen elsewhere. I still like the "trout mouth" better but the MKZ isn't as ugly as I first thought (& I do like the back end better).

Remember the Mondeo IS the flagship model for Ford Internationally as there is no International Taurus or even Lincoln. That's why they are so much more expensive there.

And let's also not forget the Mondeo is a fairly important vehicle for Ford in Europe. One in five vehicles sold in Great Brittan is a Mondeo.............that's pretty siginificant.

Neither was I..........until I saw some real world pictures posted in a thread here - looks much better in the real world than ads & pics I've seen elsewhere. I still like the "trout mouth" better but the MKZ isn't as ugly as I first thought (& I do like the back end better).

And let's also not forget the Mondeo is a fairly important vehicle for Ford in Europe. One in five vehicles sold in Great Brittan is a Mondeo.............that's pretty siginificant.

Put the MKZ back end with the Fusion Front End; now THAT would be fantastic. I saw the MKZ in the showroom. It just didn’t appeal to me. The interior felt "funny". Nothing I could tangibly state...just an overall feeling. Much more prefer the Fusion...guess that’s why I bought one!

Same reason Walmart is a success here - cheapskate Americans. They've always gotten the better stuff............because they're willing to pay for it. A Mondeo cost close to an MKZ = they can afford to use more expensive parts.

Likely wouldn't fly here - already whining about the cost of a Fusion..............bump it up another $10,000 and see what happens.

And then you have to also factor in the dumbass American culture...........there's a reason we have Lexus, Acura, Lincoln, Infiniti. Americans are far too stupid (& vain) to accept that options/build are what makes the item cost $$$$. In America they need a big label to prove how much they spent. I mean really - you expect me to drive a $40,000 Camry? No way, I need a logo to prove I spent $40,000..............hence Lexus.

Not unique to Europe either (or more accurate, it is unique to America). You can buy $5,000+ Seiko in Japan...............think that would fly in America?

MORE? I'm already paying more for this Fusion than an SHO Taurus... and HEY, I drive an Acura. I wouldn't have minded a Honda, they just had ghastly colors that year and the Civic was uglier in 1993.

Edited by shaggy314

As someone that currently owns a car ('99 Cougar) with European headlights and taillights, let me point out a few things:

2. I had to make headlight beam and pattern adjustments. I had to make adjustments inside the headlight since they were designed for RHD and English roads (left lane driving). Everything on the left side was well lit up, but the right side was poorly lit. So I had to make headlight beam pattern and angle adjustments to get it close to US specs, otherwise I would blind people driving in the opposite lane.

This is only an issue if you purchase the RHD version of the parts designed for use in England. Most Euro countries drive on the same side of the road as we do and thus most Euro parts would be LHD compatible...

FWIW...

• Like 1

Put the MKZ back end with the Fusion Front End; now THAT would be fantastic. I saw the MKZ in the showroom. It just didn’t appeal to me. The interior felt "funny". Nothing I could tangibly state...just an overall feeling. Much more prefer the Fusion...guess that’s why I bought one!

That's exactly what I thought..............Fusion front/MKZ rear................but then the MKZ rear looks similar to the Alfa...I mean Dodge...........Dart.

MORE? I'm already paying more for this Fusion than an SHO Taurus... and HEY, I drive an Acura. I wouldn't have minded a Honda, they just had ghastly colors that year and the Civic was uglier in 1993.

Well that's what a Mondeo runs, it's something like 35 - 45,000 (USD) = it's more expensive hence the options.

You must the be exception that proves the rule :) - most want the name Acura & won't pay up market prices for a Honda (hence the names).