EV+ Mode

bengbrewer

Same concept applies to Energi or Hybrid, as my car behaves the same way as my wife's... EV+ appears to be a location-based function where it goes into EV+ when it gets within 1/4 mile (IIRC from the manual) of a frequent location, in order to enable the car to stay in EV for a little bit longer than normal. If the SOC of the battery is high then it won't make a difference for you, but in my car I'm normally right around the point where the ICE would come on to recharge the HVB as I go through my neighborhood, and EV+ allows it to stay on EV for that last little bit and not burn gas recharging the HVB when I'm about to shut down anyway.

This surprised me. I picked up my car on Tuesday, last week, in the evening.

Yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, EV+ kicked in on my road headed home. Surprised it only took 6 days when the owners manual says 2-4 weeks. It didn't find work yet, but it was only my 4th trip to work yesterday, 5th today.

Very cool though.

Seems like you should be able to define these location via MyFordMobile.com. I don't understand why they would make the car learn this rather than making it part of your profile setup. Maybe a tab like, frequent destinations.

Seems like you should be able to define these location via MyFordMobile.com. I don't understand why they would make the car learn this rather than making it part of your profile setup. Maybe a tab like, frequent destinations.

You can suggest this to Ford as a future enhancement :) That would only work on the electric/energi cars, since the regular Hybrids don't have the mobile app (today, they could add it in the future).

This surprised me. I picked up my car on Tuesday, last week, in the evening.

Yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, EV+ kicked in on my road headed home. Surprised it only took 6 days when the owners manual says 2-4 weeks. It didn't find work yet, but it was only my 4th trip to work yesterday, 5th today.

Very cool though.

Nice - that is much faster than I had read.

Ah, we'll definitely have to check this out.

My question though, no one seems to have hit upon HOW it does the normal location thing. Does the car have GPS built in? I thought our dealer indicated the the MyLincoln Touch uses GPS on your phone when paired, but it seems like it would not be wise to require your car to be paired with GPS on your phone to get EV+. Or, does the car just remember distances/times after start/stop to figure this out?

Forgot to add that I'm also trying to figure out what exactly EV+ does (technically), and why that wouldn't be offered all the time. Is it because it knows you are about to turn off the car and it can drain the batteries more than normal?

Forgot to add that I'm also trying to figure out what exactly EV+ does (technically), and why that wouldn't be offered all the time. Is it because it knows you are about to turn off the car and it can drain the batteries more than normal?

That would be my guess. Maybe it takes the battery charge a little bit beyond the optimum discharge level knowing, in the case of my Energi, that it will likely get plugged in soon. I would think that doing this more often would put the HVB at risk of damage or accelerate the loss of charge capacity over time.

Ah, we'll definitely have to check this out.

My question though, no one seems to have hit upon HOW it does the normal location thing. Does the car have GPS built in? I thought our dealer indicated the the MyLincoln Touch uses GPS on your phone when paired, but it seems like it would not be wise to require your car to be paired with GPS on your phone to get EV+. Or, does the car just remember distances/times after start/stop to figure this out?

All Fusions come with SYNC and a built-in GPS - that's what EV+ uses. You don't have to pair a phone or have navigation for EV+ to work.

Edited by neod192

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC it is three most used destinations. I'm guessing it gives 'charged a't locations a star or something. It can take up to two weeks to identify a location. I'm my case it was 2 days... :-) I'd already set work and home locations in the NAV and charged a couple of times at home. Today is her first day to charge at work so we'll see if she figures that out as fast. My car seems pretty smart.

As always, I suggest Youtube and searching account 'fordowner' and the thing you are curious about. They have a BUNCH of 1-2 minute shorts about nearly everything about your car. So search "Fordowner and ev+" it will tell you all about it. They even have different ones for Energi/hybrid and CMax/Fusion despite being nearly identical on this topic.

Go see it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5cYT5zH-Yg

EDIT: grammer police

Edited by shaggy314

I've been observing this on my FFH.

First, since my battery totally died after 10 days of non-use, the memory was wiped and my EV+ locations were reset. It's been a week, and EV+ hasn't turned back on for me yet.

To answer your question, it appears that EV+ doubles the power at which the EV turns off and the ICE takes over. If you follow EV+ on the Empower screen, you will see the blue box that indicates the EV energy range. In normal mode, this goes to about 1.5 ticks on the power meter. If you exceed that power limit, the ICE takes over to supply power. In EV+, the blue bar extends to about 2 ticks on the meter. This means that you can push the car to higher power and still be in EV mode.

The blue bar height decreases as the EV battery level indicator reduces below half, meaning that as the EV battery uses up energy, you have less power available to you in EV mode. You can still feather the accelerator and coast in EV, but if you accelerate even slightly at low EV power, it will turn on the ICE. With the EV+ higher power availability, you will have more power range to accelerate or coast longer when the the EV battery level is low before needing to recharge. This means more distance.

You have to watch it in the Empower display to really see what is happening. It all starts with the EV blue bar extending in height on the power gauge.

Edited by Barsoom