Recent Highway MPG

blockisle9

On a couple of 100 mile trips all highway I got between 25-26 mpg doing between 65 and 70 mph with my all wheel drive 2.0 2013 escape.

So, my real world mpg's are:

City 13-14 MPG

Highway 25-26 MPG

I'm a little disappointed with the City mpg, but the thing has great power so It's okay. and I'm not going to change my driving habits just to squeeze out a couple more mpg.

My highway mileage is similar, 26-ish, but I'm getting 23-25 around town, depending on driving conditions. I do enjoy some very light traffic when I head in for day shift though. Light enough that I may only have 4 or 5 stops in my 12 mile commute, and can hold a steady 45-48 mph most of the way. That nets some good numbers.

Driving home in the afternoon isn't so nice, though. A great deal more traffic, some stop-and-go issues, and the traffic lights are downright cruel! :)

On a couple of 100 mile trips all highway I got between 25-26 mpg doing between 65 and 70 mph with my all wheel drive 2.0 2013 escape.

So, my real world mpg's are:

City 13-14 MPG

Highway 25-26 MPG

I'm a little disappointed with the City mpg, but the thing has great power so It's okay. and I'm not going to change my driving habits just to squeeze out a couple more mpg.

Surprised such a low city mpg I have a 2.0 4wd titanium and I get about 16-18 city mpg in NYC and when I go out to Long Island or upstate I get about 28-30 mpg doing about 65mph. How many miles are on your escape? I was really bad in mpg till I hit about 3,000-3,500 miles

I have 3800mi on my SEL 2.0 4WD, yesterday did a leg from Ronkonkoma - Hopewell Junction and back aprox 120 mi one way. travelled mostly 65-70mph only hitting some traffic thru the city earned 23.1 mpg. When I was moving I was using the cruise control set about 68mph. That was starting this trip at a full tank, this morning I filled up again I was at a quarter of a tank.

On Saturday, I had to do an airport dropoff at the Baltimore airport. Stopped to fill up on the way home and so I have a MPG number that's 95% highway - about 1-2 miles to the highway from the gas station (where I reset the gauge) and then about 40 miles on the road back home. Was going 65 most of the way but had about a mile of congestion at 40mph or so. Hit 70 a few times on I-95. No cruise this time.

Number when getting off the highway: 35.3 MPG. I was down to about 34 when I pulled into my driveway three miles later (missed a lot of lights). I have a 2013 2.0 Titanium FWD that turned over 9000 mi during this test.

My vehicle lifetime average is 24.3 MPG as of Saturday. I do mostly city driving but try to avoid driving during peak rush hour.

On Saturday, I had to do an airport dropoff at the Baltimore airport. Stopped to fill up on the way home and so I have a MPG number that's 95% highway - about 1-2 miles to the highway from the gas station (where I reset the gauge) and then about 40 miles on the road back home. Was going 65 most of the way but had about a mile of congestion at 40mph or so. Hit 70 a few times on I-95. No cruise this time.

Number when getting off the highway: 35.3 MPG. I was down to about 34 when I pulled into my driveway three miles later (missed a lot of lights). I have a 2013 2.0 Titanium FWD that turned over 9000 mi during this test.

My vehicle lifetime average is 24.3 MPG as of Saturday. I do mostly city driving but try to avoid driving during peak rush hour.

Nice! Do you remember what you were getting when your Escape was new?

I was getting ~23 going 70, and now that I have 5k miles on it, I seem to be getting ~27. I figured that this was as high as it was going to get, but your numbers are awesome, and maybe I haven't reached its full potential yet. I have a 2.0L AWD, so its going to be a few MPG less than yours no matter what, but if I could break 30 on the highway I'd be ecstatic.

I think I got about 26-28 when I first got it. Every road trip I've taken has averaged at least 29 except for a trip to NYC around the 5000 mile mark where I sat for hours on the NJ turnpike. I got about 24 on that trip. I've done very few tanks that were close to 100% highway so I don't always have the best numbers (I reset my average MPG every time I fill up).

Keep in mind that most of the highways near me are 55 and I rarely drive over 70 regardless of the speed limit (habit from my old car which lost ~5 MPG when you hit 69). I did manage to do 31 as a trip average on the open road where the speed limit was 70 around half of the way and I was going around 72 most of that distance.

I have seen my around town MPG go up from 18-20 when I first took it home to 21-22 after a few months. It's now in the 23-25 range ever since it warmed up. I usually drive with the windows up and haven't run the A/C much so far this year so it might creep down a little bit once it gets hot here.

• 1 month later...

I did a test recently where I deliberately tried for max mileage. 2 lane relatively flat highway with no stops speed was 55+- 3mph for 40 miles, ac on, 80 degrees. 32.6 mpg per instrument when I stopped. Similar trip the next week yielded 30.4 mpg. Generally I do not drive this slow so real world mpg is more in the mid 20s.

I recently purchased a 2013 AWD Escape Titanium. I have a little over 3000 miles with a 27 MPG average. Roads include 30-45 MPH city with some traffic lights and highway driving at 65-70 MPH. The mix is probably 60% highway, 40% city. So far I quite happy with the MPG. This replaces a 2007 Escape Hybrid which averaged around 30 MPG driving the same routes.

I have a 2.0 FWD Titanium I'm at about 1400 miles on mine. So far I have averaged around 22-23 mpg in normal everyday driving and 27-28 on mostly highway. My old HHR SS also had a 2.0 Turbo with similar hp and torque and averaged a little lower on the mpg so I'm happy so far.

Just did a trip from Queens where I live to Montauk in Long Island. A very nice drive mostly highway. To not hit traffic we left at 4am on Saturday to meet for breakfast and have some time to relax on the beach before we got there. Smooth no traffic doing 65 with cruise control (which I feel helps a lot instead of no cruise) I was at 32.4 MPG when we arrived at our destination. A little around town dropped it to about 31.4 then return trip late at night like 1am brought it back to about 32.1 mpg but was driving faster. Overall given the speed and 4WD/AWD I love it and still nice MPG if I wanted high MPG I wouldn't have gotten a gas motor 4wd CUV lol

Smooth no traffic doing 65 with cruise control (which I feel helps a lot instead of no cruise) I was at 32.4 MPG when we arrived at our destination. A little around town dropped it to about 31.4 then return trip late at night like 1am brought it back to about 32.1 mpg but was driving faster.

Actually, in most driving situations you can achieve better mpg's not using the cruise control. When the cruise is on, whether it's uphill, downhill or flat, it always keeps the set speed and the aggressive deceleration fuel shut off does not activate because there is always drive applied to the motor. Driving with the accelerator allows you to use the pulse and glide method and also back off the gas when cresting a hill, going down hill or anticipating slow downs. When I'm traveling locally and it's not hours and hours on the road and traffic permits, I set the cruise to 58 and P&G between 65-70. If the terrain is relatively flat, or you’re going to be driving for several hours, then for comfort, cruise control is the way to go. When I travel to my place in AZ, I don’t use the cruise if there are any significant hills, but always have it on through Oklahoma, West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. When I had my Ultra-Gauge scanner hooked up, I was amazed how easy and often the ADFSO activates and that helped me improve my overall mpg's. I'm currently at 27.5 combined city/highway mpg's and generally get around 35 mpg on longer road trips and have achieved over 38 driving on EB I-40 in New Mexico/West Texas with a slight tail wind and flat terrain.

I wish Ford provided some controls on the limits for the speed control so you could say set a lazy cruise mode where you would let the speed drop say up to 10 MPH when the engine is under load and catch up to the set point when the load decreases. More like how you might drive if you were trying to maintain high MPG.

• 2 weeks later...
let the speed drop say up to 10 MPH when the engine is under load and catch up

That might work if no one else is on the road but if there are other vehicle you'd be backing up traffic. I like the idea of the adaptive CC but unfortunately it's only available on the higher levels. On my way back from NJ yesterday on the 270 mile trip I used cruise for about 20 minutes. Even with little traffic it's a pain constantly changing the set speed.

But I was surprised at the 23.4 mph with a 3.0 and the older four speed auto trans.