Stong gas smell on 2013 Flex

I have a 2013 Flex Ltd that I got last July. It has almost 6k miles. I gassed up about 2 weeks ago and have noticed a STRONG gas smell ever since. An unusual thing was that the pump took forever to finish and shut off that time. The smell has strongly persisted till today. I and others have looked all around underneath and see no leaks. The gas smell seems especially strong outside across the back of the car (and not just underneath). Any ideas?

I have a 2013 Flex Ltd that I got last July. It has almost 6k miles. I gassed up about 2 weeks ago and have noticed a STRONG gas smell ever since. An unusual thing was that the pump took forever to finish and shut off that time. The smell has strongly persisted till today. I and others have looked all around underneath and see no leaks. The gas smell seems especially strong outside across the back of the car (and not just underneath). Any ideas?

Those of us who hypermile know the slower the fill allows for a higher fill. Generally, a clogged pump filter causes the pumps to pump that slow. Sounds like you filled a good portion of the vapor space inside the tank and you have gas bleeding back to the neck of the overflow tube. I've had my 15 gallon tank take 17.5 gallons on a gas station slope that allowed a much higher fill pumping slowly. The tank was simply over filled on level ground after. The smell should go away once the gas level goes down. Did you add more gas this time than normal?

I guess I didn't pay attention to how many gallons it took that day or any other time. I just always let it shut off when it's done and go on my way. I had one person suggest something about the overflow tube and that that smell should've gone away within a few days. It didn't. Drove the whole tank for two weeks with the smell still strong. Now I'm two weeks and one more tank in and it's still bad. :-(

(I am nutty about my car, and clean it daily, so there is no residue or spillage anywhere.)

I guess I didn't pay attention to how many gallons it took that day or any other time. I just always let it shut off when it's done and go on my way. I had one person suggest something about the overflow tube and that that smell should've gone away within a few days. It didn't. Drove the whole tank for two weeks with the smell still strong. Now I'm two weeks and one more tank in and it's still bad. :-(

(I am nutty about my car, and clean it daily, so there is no residue or spillage anywhere.)

You must have a leak then and I would take it to the dealer to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...