DDM Tuning vs The RetroFit Source HIDs

Jamers

I compared H11 bulbs from both DDM and TRS in 5000k. The Passenger side fog is TRS and the Driver's side fog is DDM. It was obvious to me that DDM's 5000k is really 6000k or higher. Only the TRS 5000k represents an accurate Kelvin temperature. The low beams also happen to be DDM in 5000k so that is why the TRS bulb stand out. Just thought anyone considering DDM would like to know that the 5000k is really 6000k or maybe a bit higher even. I later installed a TRS in 6000k and could see the the DDM 5000k was still a bit bluer.

This is consistent with another post I read stating that DDM really only uses like 3 different Kelvin variations but sells them as 8 different kelvin choices ranging from 3000k thru 12000k. Not trying to bash DDM but just sharing my observations with anyone who is expecting accurate color temps. For folks who demand spot on color temps then DDM may not be right for you.

Last thing, the whole reason I ended up with multiples bulbs was I initially installed TRS 5000k in my Explorer and to save money I put the DDM 5000k in my Fusion. Well I immediately noticed a stark contrast between the two sets. Additionally, one of the DDM's H11 fogs had a slight variation in color and intensity from the other. After troubleshoot to ensure it wasn't due to the ballast I contacted DDM to ask for a warranty swap on the bulb. They gave me so much push back that I decided to order 6000k bulbs from TRS instead and install them in using the DDM ballasts in order to try to best match them to the headlamps. The TRS 5000k fog in this pic was borrowed from my Explorer to illustrate the contrast with DDM's so called 5000k bulb.

post-5912-0-93131400-1368975994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamers

Hey Jamers, yeah, that looks more like 8000k to me, very blue, definitely not 6000k. The best way to see what 6000k looks like (which is what I have - headlight and park light) is to see it next to a high intensity LED bulb, natural LED color is 6000k.

20130513_102811_resized_zps85dcaa0d.jpg.

• 1 month later...

I installed retrofit HID's (6000k) in my car and I couldn't be happier. Be sure to select the standalone CAN-BUS wire harness.

Was a very easy install once you get the front bumper out of the way.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3955

Ok and did you replace your fog lights with the same setup? Also with this kit you just plug everything straight into the original wiring for tr halogen bulbs? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to HIDs and the last thing I want to do is remove the bumper then be lost. I know it would be annoying to do but could you give me a step by step of how to hook it up after I've removed the bumper

Ok and did you replace your fog lights with the same setup? Also with this kit you just plug everything straight into the original wiring for tr halogen bulbs? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to HIDs and the last thing I want to do is remove the bumper then be lost. I know it would be annoying to do but could you give me a step by step of how to hook it up after I've removed the bumper

I did DDM Tuning low beam and fogs. I originally bought 6k for headlights and 5k for fogs but the 6k were more like 8k. I went back and bought another pair of 5k bulbs, so now low beams and fogs are both 5k, which are really closer to 6k even with the 55W ballasts. I didn't know about the lack of actual bulb differences otherwise I would have gotten 5k's from the start.

The install guide (courtesy of nmadole): http://fusionhybridmpg.blogspot.com/2013/01/hid-install-special-post.html

Here is a pic of my car when I was done (plus LED city lights):

20130606_065308.jpg

City lights and fogs only:

20130606_065343.jpg

Car looks great good job!!! I've been in contact with TRS about a lights and they said I need an H11b bulb due to the bulb bending at an 180 and said I also need a canbus harness. Has anyone else ran there lights with the harness and can verify that this is the right bulbs? Also where did you get your LED bulbs? Looking to replace my puddle lights, reverse lights, and license plate lights know where to get those also?

Yea I'm only planning on doing the fogs and low beam and day time lights. Still waiting to get some more informations from TRS about them though. I've seen several guys complaining about the projectors on the fusions not working properly for HIDs so that's my only hesitation. Only want to pull the front bumper off once

Yea I'm only planning on doing the fogs and low beam and day time lights. Still waiting to get some more informations from TRS about them though. I've seen several guys complaining about the projectors on the fusions not working properly for HIDs so that's my only hesitation. Only want to pull the front bumper off once

That's the first I've heard anything. Obviously the projector lenses aren't designed for HIDs so the beam pattern won't be ideal, but it has a good cutoff so you're not going to blind anyone. The output is still far greater than halogens though and the cost of replacing projector lenses quickly goes over most budgets.

And honestly I don't remember which LED I bought, but it was at the recommendation of someone here.

Ok so i have been looking into these HIDs also. Seems easy enough Plug and play minus the small cutting to run wires thru rubber cap. Do you really need to replace the Projectors or is the lighting ok? Can see good at night and i wont be blinding everyone else coming the other way. Also when it comes to the LED's for running lights. Is there anything you need to do for those or are they also just a striaght replacement bulb?

I run stock housing and the lighting is just fine, I don't understand why people complain, I guess maybe their perfectionist ?

I was the same way. I would run the Silverstars and think they were fine.

But then I put a DDM kit in my Cougar and HID's are just world's better (and cheaper). From a cosmetic standpoint the Fusion really just looks cheap once you flick on the lights and get that yellow incandescent glow. Why Ford went this route when lesser cars have HID options is beyond me.

Ok then i guess i will be getting some HID's then. Question is which ones are good to get? are there a few good makers out there or is there one stadn alone champ? Next is do i go with the 50w or the 35w? Since HID's are not good for Highbeams do most of you go with the ultra lights or just keep stock?