key not recognized???

hmmmmm??????

Yesterday after tanking up, i sat in my MKZ, depressed the brake, hit P, then hit Start and got a message that "key not recognized" (or something similar).

Yup, key was in my pocket, but no action.

I got out of the car started randomly pushing buttons on the key fob and in a bit, things started working.

Maybe I somehow disabled the key?

Anyone able to shed light on this?

karl

Try putting the key FOB in the slot in the center console, it should pick it up there. Low battery or software glitch?

My 2 day old car had the MFT display go completely black after backing up and going into drive.. I had to go back into reverse and then into drive for it to wake up. Bugs...

it acted a lil odd again this afternoon.

Normally when i approach the car it will unlock the car.

It didn't.

But then hitting the unlock doors, it did.

hmmmmm....

I'm going to carry the spare fob instead of the one i've been using.

See what happens.

Yea, that is a little strange. My car was 1 month old yesterday and has displayed none of these glitches.

I would try placing the FOB in the center console as suggested. Pull up the mat inside of it using the tab and there's a cut-out in the bottom where you should place it. I have no idea what the length of time or procedure is but I've seen the cut-out. Lots of luck!

Your cell phone may be interfering with the FOB if they are in the same pocket. I have this problem with my 2007 corvette, and it is a known issue.

there is a thought. Thanks!

normally i do not remove cell or fob from pocket when going for a drive.

EASILY possible to have had both in same pocket.

BTW: i love how MKZ unlocks the car when i get close to it (fob in pocket), kinda like magic

So i am reluctant to start leaving the fob in the car and lock with the code.

This is a known issue for some early vehicles. A TSB has been released indicating the need to reprogram the Radio Tranceiver Module (TSB 13-05-32).

Galaxie: THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!

Q1: is the "Radio Transceiver Module" = key fob??

Q2: how did you find this out???

Again, thanks sooooooo much!

karl

You "Techies" want this silly stuff, just embrace it. I`ll stick with my remote key fob and simply insert the key into the slot and simply solve the problem with a slight turn of the key! Not much effort involved nor where placement of key fob is either.

You "Techies" want this silly stuff, just embrace it. I`ll stick with my remote key fob and simply insert the key into the slot and simply solve the problem with a slight turn of the key! Not much effort involved nor where placement of key fob is either.

Replacement was free and I had a spare, so it was of little inconvenience to me to replace it. :shrug: I prefer it so much now over a standard key I don't ever want a new car again without it at this point.

And as was pointed out already: it's not like the car becomes dead in the water if the fob receiver fails. You can still get in the vehicle using the pop-out key (or using the unlock button, if it's only the receiver and not the entire fob that's dead) and you can still start the car by putting the fob into the receiver in the console.

Edited by NickF1011

Replacement was free and I had a spare, so it was of little inconvenience to me to replace it. :shrug: I prefer it so much now over a standard key I don't ever want a new car again without it at this point.

And as was pointed out already: it's not like the car becomes dead in the water if the fob receiver fails. You can still get in the vehicle using the pop-out key (or using the unlock button, if it's only the receiver and not the entire fob that's dead) and you can still start the car by putting the fob into the receiver in the console.

Nick,

i must be blind.

Please tell me where is "the receiver in the console"

karl

later

i found a slight fob-shaped indentation under the rubber drink holder base.

It seems that indentation is for temporary fob placement when you are having starting issues?????

Edited by entropy

Nick,

i must be blind.

Please tell me where is "the receiver in the console"

karl

later

i found a slight fob-shaped indentation under the rubber drink holder base.

It seems that indentation is for temporary fob placement when you are having starting issues?????

In my Edge it's inside the center console beneath the USB/AV inputs. It's a slot where the entire fob slides into. Haven't looked close enough inside a new MKZ to know exactly where it is, but it sounds like what you described.

In my Edge it's inside the center console beneath the USB/AV inputs. It's a slot where the entire fob slides into. Haven't looked close enough inside a new MKZ to know exactly where it is, but it sounds like what you described.

On the MKZ the "slot" is not deep enough to leave the fob in it and still use the drink holder, so i guess it's just for emergency.

And for the record, the Fusion's is in the center console storage area next to the USB ports as well.