Some Wisdom for TTAC- How to Criticize 101

Came across another Canadian auto bloggers review of the MKZ.

Although he to had some quality issues with some interior fitments, his comments show how a mature person versus the clown from TTAC.

EG: "However, there are a few fitment issues noticed in the MKZ and this feature highlighted one of them. The lower side panel kept separating from the console, causing a sizeable gap that exposed unsightly white stickers beneath. I tried to push the piece back into place and hoped they'd clip together but after the fourth time I gave up and let it be. Also, the lower door section by the speaker had a small piece of tape-like material that wasn't supposed to be visible. Further, the headliner was able to be flexed quite easily with a push or pull of the finger. While minor, these are fit and finish quality items inexcusable in a luxury vehicle, which I hope Lincoln addresses in the short term."

Source http://driverblogs.com/en/Reviews/2/2/2046/1/2013+Lincoln+MKZ+Review

• Like 5

What irks me about stuff like this: If the vehicle arrived smelling like smoke from the previous reviewer, would the writer assume that all Lincolns leave the factory smelling like smoke?

If I've got a press fleet vehicle, especially an early production (pre Job-1/OKTB) model, I'm going to double-check any oddities with a few showroom samples.

And then there's this:

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/edge/2007/road-test1.html

The six-cog transmission is a step in the right direction; however, without a manual mode and with just two positions ("D" and "L") from which to select, the shift logic is left to the engineers who programmed it. For the most part, we have few complaints with shift timing and strategy, but it does seem to "want" to be in as high a gear as is mechanically possible.

Curious to see what would occur if we selected "L" at freeway speeds, we pulled the lever back a notch only to have the revs rocket up over 6,000 rpm. The Edge hadn't downshifted one or two gears, but several; perhaps from 6th to 2nd gear. Instead, pressing the overdrive-off button offered only a slight amount of throttle control and engine braking. Whatever logic is used in this transmission is beyond our limited brain capacity.

Now suppose you were the next writer to get this vehicle, and you noticed that the transmission and engine weren't quite up to snuff. Gee. I wonder why.

Edited by RichardJensen

Limited brain capacity is an apt description for Edmunds. I had a discussion with Chris Wardlaw, editor-in-chief several years ago when he complained that the AJ V8 in the S-type was listed as a 4.0 while the LS version was listed as a 3.9. He didn't understand why Lincoln couldn't count. I explained to him that the LS version actually had a 85 mm stroke compared to the S-type's 86mm stroke which resulted in the lower displacement on the LS. His response was that he didn't see what stroke had to do with displacement, which is like saying that you don't understand why a tall glass of the same diameter as a small glass holds more water. Another time he was aware there was a TSB to reprogram the LS tranny to resolve a shift problem but when he took it in for service he didn't mention it, waiting to see if the service mgr read his mind and offered the fix even though he didn't complain about it. He didn't so he continued to complain about the shifting for the next 6 months when it could have been resolved by simply asking the service mgr about it.

Much like the evening news, automotive journalism is nothing more than entertainment, not true journalism.