Obama has fun at funerals too

cal50

At least he didn't do it at Margaret Thatcher's funeral.

True, you have to attend the actual event to act a fool.

Makes sense you skip a long time allies / head of state death but attend a person you met one time.

I think Obama was busy pushing gun control when Thatcher passed. Priorities.....

Also, if we continue to add excuses to lower our flag for deaths of foreign leaders, we might as well keep it at half-staff.

Anyone have a count of the number of days flags have been lowered for all Washington directed occasions?

It seems we have it lowered almost 6 months of the year.

I'm not against doing it, but if you do it too often you water down the significance for all occasions it is lowered.

It's like naming highways for politicians. Originally, that honor was reserved for the EXCEPTIONAL honoree. Now, it's done just on a whim. As a ego feeding and fawning love fest.

• Like 1

In fairness, Mandela was the leader of South Africa at one time.

Attending the funeral isn't something I'd think inappropriate.

Skipping Thatcher's funeral is just something that doesn't surprise me, nor is what he did at Mandela's.

I'm mostly just watching the clock tick down to the end of his term at this point.

Also, if we continue to add excuses to lower our flag for deaths of foreign leaders, we might as well keep it at half-staff.

Anyone have a count of the number of days flags have been lowered for all Washington directed occasions?

It seems we have it lowered almost 6 months of the year.

I'm not against doing it, but if you do it too often you water down the significance for all occasions it is lowered.

It's like naming highways for politicians. Originally, that honor was reserved for the EXCEPTIONAL honoree. Now, it's done just on a whim. As a ego feeding and fawning love fest.

Yes because we do it so often. NOT. But can you tell me what was so special about Anwar Sadat,

Yitshak Rabin or the King of Jordan? they all got the honor as did Pope John Paul and Winston Churchill. It's a highly selective thing and I don't think that it was wrong to do so for Mandela.

Would you like a count?

Mandela

Pearl Habor

Kennedy

Thomas Foley (fmr. Speaker)

National firefighters memorial (the

Washington naval yard

Sept. 11

Memorial day

Police memorial day

Boston Marathon

http://us.halfstaff.org/

I might have missed a couple.

I found the Missouri state website that listed most of the national plus the fact that governor and state law adds 11 days to the number. So is it Obama that is causing your six month worries?

In fairness, Mandela was the leader of South Africa at one time.

Attending the funeral isn't something I'd think inappropriate.

Skipping Thatcher's funeral is just something that doesn't surprise me, nor is what he did at Mandela's.

I'm mostly just watching the clock tick down to the end of his term at this point.

In all fairness, Thatcher's funeral was not a state event and the administration choose to send Republican fmr. cabinet members who both had a deep relationship with Thatcher, George Schulz and James Baker. While I myself would have gone, it wasn't like the official group that he sent was a disrespect to her or Britain. Judging by the pictures, it doesn't seem that current conservative leader Cameron felt disrespected.

Should we be offended if he isn't?

In all fairness, Thatcher's funeral was not a state event and the administration choose to send Republican fmr. cabinet members who both had a deep relationship with Thatcher, George Schulz and James Baker. While I myself would have gone, it wasn't like the official group that he sent was a disrespect to her or Britain. Judging by the pictures, it doesn't seem that current conservative leader Cameron felt disrespected.

Should we be offended if he isn't?

I wasn't aware the Administration had sent anyone, although what you said (about who they did send) makes sense.

I don't believe they were sent by the administration, at least based on what I've read of it. They likely went of their own volition.

http://bakerinstitute.org/news/james-a-baker-iii-on-the-passing-of-margaret-thatcher/

BAKER, SHULTZ TO LEAD U.S. DELEGATION AT MARGARET THATCHER FUNERAL
President Obama today announced that former secretaries of state James A. Baker, III, and George Shultz will lead the U.S. delegation to attend the funeral of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The White House news release follows:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 15, 2013
President Obama Announces Presidential Delegation to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to Attend the Funeral of Baroness Margaret Thatcher
President Barack Obama today announced the designation of a Presidential Delegation to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to attend the Funeral of Baroness Margaret Thatcher.
The Honorable George Shultz, former Secretary of State, and The Honorable James A. Baker, III, former Secretary of State, will lead the delegation.
Members of the Presidential Delegation:
The Honorable Barbara Stephenson, Charge d"Affaires to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Department of State
The Honorable Louis Susman, former Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland