Battery issues in '13 Fusion?

JScullin

Yesterday I had to call Ford Roadside because the car was completely dead after being driven the day before and parked. No warnings prior with idiot lights or dimming dash lights, etc. First time this has ever done that.

Had to pop off the handle cover to open the car and nothing on the dash lit up upon doing so. Guy tried to jump it via a booster pack and it wouldn't fully turn so he had to do it off his car and it fired right up. No CEL's came up.

I drove it for a bit after, and today it fired up no problem (it's been in the teens to low 20's temp wise—but it's been far colder for longer periods last month). Put a line tester on and got this:

• At idle the car is barely holding 12.8 volts (drops very slowly after bouncing between .82/81).
• Holding the revs the battery never puts out more than 13.02 volts, but holds steady.
• Engine off, after having just driven for 10min to get there, the battery sits as low as 12.13 volts and slowly drops.

It can take up to 25 miles of driving to recharge a dead battery.

Also going completely dead can permanently damage a car battery.

I would have the battery tested.

If your normal driving is lots of short trips and no long trips you might want to invest in a good battery charger.

Charging voltage is carefully controlled by the PCM and kept at a minimum so don't expect to see the same voltages you used to see.

Murph is right about 25 miles of driving to recharge a battery and my 2007 Fusion battery lasted until this winter. 7 years on an OEM battery isn't bad !

Mine has been completely dead once also. I left in the heated garage for 4 days and it was dead when I got back. I brought it into the dealer, they checked everthing as far as the charging system is concerned and found nothing. Ive left it sit mutiple days since and it hasn't done it again.