Benghazi Matters~

Nobody in this forum has changed their minds or opinions or points of view on political matters in years. And they never will regardless of how many facts get posted or how frequently. That's just human nature.

What is interesting is to share facts and correct misconceptions such as Phil's completely false view of military demographics or the facts behind what actually happened with Benghazi, etc.

Nobody in this forum has changed their minds or opinions or points of view on political matters in years. And they never will regardless of how many facts get posted or how frequently. That's just human nature.

What is interesting is to share facts and correct misconceptions such as Phil's completely false view of military demographics or the facts behind what actually happened with Benghazi, etc.

In what would be an unusual chain of events, I have actually experienced an epiphany in these regards. So for you to assert these discussions have no effect, I submit my personal experiences as proof that a convincing argument CAN have the effect of changing a point of view. From liberal to conservative...based on the logical progression of discussion and contemplation.

Deny it if you will, but I was a Carter/Ford supporter who was dubious of Reagan, until experience and accumulated wisdom and experience persuaded me to take a new view on the world.

I respect the well contemplated reversal of opinion much higher than the politically advantageous and expedient "re-imagined" opinions of today's politicians.

If you're open-minded then it's more common to go from liberal to conservative as you get older, have more business success and understand how the system works.

That isn't happening because of debates on an automotive website with people you don't know. It's like trying to turn a chevy fan into a Ford fan or vice versa.

Not so different.

I was a Ford fan with the 1960 Falcon and 1966 Mustang as my first cars. Later, my first wife had a Camaro, I bought an S-10, then a GMC Sierra. At that time, I liked their products. Started at Ford, bought my F150 and a Taurus. Haven't regretted the decision. My opinions were based on experience. And that guided my decisions.

Politically, it's been the same.

From a purely business standpoint, sacking this forum has cost a ton of traffic and that is rarely a good thing. Many years ago I had this conversation with Robert and I was the one suggesting that he was diluting search with all of the off topic threads. As I recall then, the decision was that traffic, thread activity, and time on site, was more important (from an SEO standpoint) than relevance. At the time I did not think he was doing the right thing, but time has proven otherwise.

When a site starts getting reduced traffic, reduced time on site and less new content the site rankings reflect that. On August 16th the ranking for the sitre dropped out of the top 100,000 to around 240,000. That had to hurt.

That certainly wasn't a concern when we discussed it with Robert a few weeks ago. It definitely hasn't hurt the automotive discussions.

If Robert wants to go back to the Jerry Springer method to get more clicks then that's his prerogative but that's never been a concern on the fusion, edge or any of the other forums that Robert owns.

So which Internet forum topic caused you to change from Chevy to ford and from liberal to conservative? Please provide a link.

Not internet. You're confusing the effect medium with the message. (Apologies to Marshall McLuhan.)

Once I drove Chevys, I was inclined to stay with what I knew.

Now that I've owned both, I decided I liked Ford better.

At least I gave both sides a true opportunity to keep me.

And politically, I did the same.

I used retrospect analysis to determine my prior positions did not hold up to deeper examination. That's when I decided the political parties are two sides of the same coin.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

From a purely business standpoint, sacking this forum has cost a ton of traffic and that is rarely a good thing. Many years ago I had this conversation with Robert and I was the one suggesting that he was diluting search with all of the off topic threads. As I recall then, the decision was that traffic, thread activity, and time on site, was more important (from an SEO standpoint) than relevance. At the time I did not think he was doing the right thing, but time has proven otherwise.

When a site starts getting reduced traffic, reduced time on site and less new content the site rankings reflect that. On August 16th the ranking for the sitre dropped out of the top 100,000 to around 240,000. That had to hurt.

I have to agree...if you go back to April/May time frame on this forum there was a lively back and forth about the meaning of "off topic" (mostly everyone agreed except kirby) ......in my opinion this was when the forum started it downward trend and has continued......I thought Nick (RIP) did a good job moderating and I did not always agree with him, but kirby is overbearing in his attempt to moderate....I assume from different comments that someone named Robert has overall control of BON and there must be some cost associated with maintaining BON thus the ad banners at the top. So from an advertising perspective one would think that this lack of traffic would be disconcerting to someone ....obviously not kirby.....

With all due respect - there was no moderation here before at all. And I understand that's how some liked it. I simply asked Robert to take a look at what was going on here and see if it was the type of posts he wanted on this forum. I also copied RJ and Nick. Robert agreed that's not what he wanted and Nick and RJ agreed.

This is really simple. If you want the old forum back with the name calling, party bashing and general nastiness just pm Robert Lane or Staff and tell them. Ultimately it's his decision.

Or you can simply go start another forum just for political debate. Why does it have to take place on a CAR forum?

Here is the other question. If you can't discuss the facts of a political issue without name calling or party bashing, then what good does it do to discuss it with those things? What does it accomplish other than allowing folks to vent their frustration at the other party?

Not internet. You're confusing the effect medium with the message. (Apologies to Marshall McLuhan.)

Once I drove Chevys, I was inclined to stay with what I knew.

Now that I've owned both, I decided I liked Ford better.

At least I gave both sides a true opportunity to keep me.

And politically, I did the same.

I used retrospect analysis to determine my prior positions did not hold up to deeper examination. That's when I decided the political parties are two sides of the same coin.

But you didn't make those decisions based on a few internet forum debates and that was my point. You're not going to change anyone from a liberal to a conservative on this forum any more than you'll make a Ford fan into a Chevy fan. All that happens here is the conservatives agree with the conservatives and liberals agree with the liberals and both disagree with the other.

But you didn't make those decisions based on a few internet forum debates and that was my point. You're not going to change anyone from a liberal to a conservative on this forum any more than you'll make a Ford fan into a Chevy fan. All that happens here is the conservatives agree with the conservatives and liberals agree with the liberals and both disagree with the other.

This is nothing more than your opinion.....you actually don't know this to be true...and might I say for someone who was requiring "facts" from Phil.....this was surely a shot from the hip...

AKirby, I am not bashing you. Just commenting on the situation from a different perspective. I think that Robert runs forums pretty darn well and I have great respect for that. The great thing about running a business is that you still get to call the shots, and some times pay the piper if you get it wrong.

Off topic sections in forums are like a crazy uncle that thinks he's a chicken: Sure a doctor could help him, but we need the eggs.

This is nothing more than your opinion.....you actually don't know this to be true...and might I say for someone who was requiring "facts" from Phil.....this was surely a shot from the hip...

Ok, let me rephrase it. I've never seen it happen here or anywhere else. Have you?

Off topic sections in forums are like a crazy uncle that thinks he's a chicken: Sure a doctor could help him, but we need the eggs.

I understand. And if Robert wants to let the crazy uncle run the henhouse just to get more eggs that's certainly his prerogative. But it goes completely against normal forum moderation rules.

Let's not forget that political discussions were not banned. Just the name calling and personal attacks.

After reading some peoples posts its changed my opinion.....of them.

If you only catch a few posts from an individual they may seem intelligent and reasonable but the longer they "talk" / post you can see they are neither intelligent or reasonable.

When presented with facts or mathematics that clearly does not add up they continue to defend it in some bizarre manner because its "their guy" or party.

Commendable loyalty but perpetual stupidity.