Uber BS?

I read Pete D's rant about the Uber transportation service on Autoextremist today. I heard about Uber but didn't really look into it. It seems to be hailed as the cure for congestion and the death of personal car ownership. Also, Uber claims to not be a taxi service. As a result, they want special treatment (exemptions) from normal municipal Taxi Service regulations, which is why taxi companies and drivers all over the world are pissed.

I can't see any differance between Uber and a taxi service. How can it possibly not be regulated with the other taxi serive providers? You hail a Uber car through their cell phone app instead of calling. Big deal, any cab service can do that and they should be doing it right now. So if it is like a taxi service, and I think it is, why would this eliminate personal car ownership? The current tax services hasn't done that so I don't think Uber is going to significantly dent car sales. And as far as traffic congestion, nothing is going to change unless total trip demand drops. You still need the same amount of cars on the road to move those people from place to place.

Uber has an upcoming IPO and the company is being valued at $17 Billion. I think I'd take my chances buying a bridge than buying Uber stock.

• Like 1

There are other companies doing similar things and they have run into problems with the taxi regulations as well. I believe some of them are tied up in the courts with it already. I would be hesitant to back any of these companies before the legal challenges are resolved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you people think this UBER boondoogle is gonna be the holy grail for your transportation services? guess again. They do have their limitations and boundries in their selected coverage areas and when the demand for those vehicles to pick up their "unsuspecting customers" is high, guess what? You'll be paying more, THAT'S RIGHT... MORE! for your transportation. And not only that, these drivers... How experienced are they when the drive in all kinds of road conditions, weather, all hours of the day, night. Traffic patterns, etc?

UBER has an agenda and it is to eliminate private ownership of vehicles and push everyone into ride-sharing. It is gonna fail, and those of you who do not see the writing on the wall, better get your heads out of the sand real quick!

• 2 weeks later...
UBER has an agenda and it is to eliminate private ownership of vehicles and push everyone into ride-sharing. It is gonna fail, and those of you who do not see the writing on the wall, better get your heads out of the sand real quick!

How is that going to happen if people who are providing the rides don't own vehicles?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...