The Town Car had an air suspension. How reliable was it?

The town car had rear air springs. The system was very reliable compared to the four wheel air suspension of the Navigators and Continentials. At the end of its life, the continential went to rear air suspension only and it was more reliable than the 4 corner system. However, due to the cost of the repairs when the vehicle gets old and the springs start to dry rot, customers opt to convert to coil springs.

Cheap isn't a word I'd personally like to use. I spent $300 on a conversion kit just to go back to coil springs/shocks. Whenever I get around to replacing the shocks, I'll opt for the old style inflatable, self-adjusting air shocks. That way I can adjust how much pressure I prefer to keep the rear end and it would ride just like it would with those air springs. At up to $500 a side, the air springs just were not worth it.

the system worked reasonably well...until someone puts it on a lift and forgets it an airbag suspension when lowering it and pops the bags...

If that happens, your springs were in rough shape to start with. When picked up with the system on, the module tries to level the car by venting air. So when let down the bags are low on air, normally they will just fill back up without incident. But if they are rotting or the compressor is week from over use due to leaky bags, it won't level back up.

Cheap isn't a word I'd personally like to use. I spent $300 on a conversion kit just to go back to coil springs/shocks. Whenever I get around to replacing the shocks, I'll opt for the old style inflatable, self-adjusting air shocks. That way I can adjust how much pressure I prefer to keep the rear end and it would ride just like it would with those air springs. At up to $500 a side, the air springs just were not worth it.

OE springs are expensive. A company call airknott makes them a lot cheaper and they seem pretty good quality. So does strutmaster.

A lot of the time people let the bags leak too long and the compressor over works and falls. That's when it's not cost effective to repair, Just convert

I paid $220 for each side(OEM). And, you can get aftermarket ones that cost $100 a bag.