Help with a hybrid buying decision...

Gary Krieg

I need some help with a car buying decision we are about to make. The situation is this, we have driven exclusively Lexus for the last 15 years. Our next car can not be a Lexus since it can no longer be towed behind our motorhome, tried the dolly and trailer not going there again. We want to get a hybrid and are looking at a new Lincoln MKZ or the Ford Fusion Energi. Since I can not buy both and keep the one I like I need input from people who have experience with these cars. Price is not an issue with either car, the issue is if we go the Fusion we can get the Energi, with the MKZ that is not an option. I think with our life style the Fusion Energi would be a better choice than a straight hybrid.

If we went with the Fusion Energi, coming from the Lexus, would we be happy with quality, noise level, ride, comfort, etc? My assumption is that we would probably be happy with the Lincoln. This may not be able to be answered but I thought I was better off asking the question anyway.

Gary

As long as you like the style and features on the Fusion Energi I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. The MKZ will be a little quieter with a few more bells and whistles but there isn't a huge difference other than what you can see and feel.

I recommend driving a Fusion Titanium and the MKZ back to back so you can compare (don't worry about the drivetrain just look at the interior and features). Don't think you can go wrong either way.

How old is your Lexus? What model? I think you'll find the Titanium trim level on the Fusion comparable interior wise to luxury cars of a few years ago. I have a 2013 Escape Titanium and it has an interior that's almost as nice as my sister's 2013 BMW X3. We have different colors and options so it's not exactly apples to apples, but the Ford looks more integrated and is more logically laid out. If you took all the branding off them, you'd be hard pressed to tell which one was the luxury make.

The Fusion Energi is the way to go hands down. After 3 Ford hybrids, I would never buy a non plug-in again, and I think they'll be phased out soon. I have the '13 C-Max Energi now, and ordered a '15 for my son July 15 '14. The Fusion Energi can be towed all wheels down as all Ford Hybrids, but you also have a choice of gas or battery power, or both. I like the C-Max Energi over the Fusion Energi because of being roomier.

Gary

I have not driven the hybrid or Energi Fusion, or the MKZ.

I have driven the S, SE, and Titanium Fusions. I have not owned Lexus, but I have owned 4x Acuras and a Mercedes. That said I was supremely impressed with the ride, refinement, and very quiet noise levels of all the Fusions that I drove. The quietest car I'd ever owned was my 3G TL and the Fusion is quieter yet. On par with the new Acura TLX which I also recently test drove and is being lauded for its quietness.

That said I would not recommend the 19" wheels. I doubt you could get those for the Energi but you could for the MKZ. One of the Titaniums I drove had 19" rims and while I wouldn't call the ride harsh, it was certainly more jittery than the 18" wheels. Coming from a Lexus I would think you would notice this.

Either the MKZ or the Energi Fusion ought to be quieter yet than the gas Fusions!

I have a 2013 TI Energi and a 2011 RX450h. While the Ford is not a Lexus, the quality, fit and finish is acceptable and the telematics IHMO are superior in the Ford, even with the minor Sync annoyances. I like the Ford nav, voice commands, and HD backup camera better. The Lexus does not have the adaptive cruise. I will never buy another car without adaptive cruise control. The Lexus does not have the BLIS, so my wife, who is the primary Lexus driver, bought a little stickon mirror for the drivers rear view so you can see vehicles in your blind spot. The Lexus rides higher and has the HID headlights that I wished I could have included on the Energi.

How do you usually use the car you tow behind your RV? If your typical usage pattern is to park the RV and use the car for short trips in a 25 mile radius, you won't be using much gas for the car trips. That might tip your decison in favor of the Ford. My office is 17 miles from my home and I charge at home and at the office. I haven't been to the gas station in over 2 months.