2006 V8 Explorer Owners

I am interested in the V8 2006 Explorer, but am worried about the quality issues that I saw in previous models.

1. Is the fit and finish better than the 2002-2005?

2. How has reliabilty been in the short time you've owned the 2006? Any issues?

3. How has mileage been?

Any information, good or bad, is helpful.

Thanks,

;)

I've had a 97 XLT with 4.0 SOHC, 98 XLT same engine, 99 Limited same engine, 2002 Limited 4WD 4.6.

Al were excellent vehicles. Only problems were minor and no big deal.

Gas milage good (reasonable) with V6, not so good with V 8. Unless you are towing, see no need for V 8. V 6 performance is better than you might expect.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I am interested in the V8 2006 Explorer, but am worried about the quality issues that I saw in previous models.

1. Is the fit and finish better than the 2002-2005?

mine seems fine and not owning a 02-05 hard to say, but no complaints by me so far.

2. How has reliabilty been in the short time you've owned the 2006? Any issues?

Reliability? NO ISSUE, runs strong, quiet, does everything as well or better than i could expect.

3. How has mileage been?

now at 3000 miles, 16-18 mpg

Any information, good or bad, is helpful.

door handles are NO BIG deal, use them several times, they make sense but are "different" but work great.

I have commuted in mine, logging trails, beach, snow, done do-nuts, ABS test, tested low range and 4x4 high.

My only thing is the over sensitive seatbelts (not a bad thing really, again different) and seems like over 70mph the temp control in cooler weather needs more manual adjustments to keep comfortable.

I love my Explorer very much and very pleased with it!

Thanks,

;)

Edited by tofer

Thanks Calvin, so far so good! keep it up, any word on Sirius for the Explorers?

I am curious if my 6cd is compatable?

As far as I know it will be available on the Sport Trac that we are going to launch in Feb. Seems like they would go ahead and make it available on the Explorer around the same time.

Thanks Calvin, so far so good! keep it up, any word on Sirius for the Explorers?

I am curious if my 6cd is compatable?

Tofer, I just picked up my 2006 EB Explorer Dark Cherry with Nav system and 6 CD and I had the dealer install sirius. It is expensive ($475 installed) but it is totally integrated into the touchscreen NAV/radio. There is a box and antenna they install in a hidden location and a wire runs to the back of the radio. More expensive then buying a unit at Best Buy or wherever but it is really sweet when done by the Dealer because you can't tell it is not factory.

Tofer, I just picked up my 2006 EB Explorer Dark Cherry with Nav system and 6 CD and I had the dealer install sirius. It is expensive ($475 installed) but it is totally integrated into the touchscreen NAV/radio. There is a box and antenna they install in a hidden location and a wire runs to the back of the radio. More expensive then buying a unit at Best Buy or wherever but it is really sweet when done by the Dealer because you can't tell it is not factory.

Yeah, not cheap, but sounds like a nice integration.

Thanks!

Yeah, not cheap, but sounds like a nice integration.

Thanks!

The NAV system is made by Pioneer, I am sure some internet research would turn up an adapter for sale that would work the same (or be the same) as the Ford one for a lot cheaper. My problem was when I found out it was $475 installed, it was Monday and I was taking delivery Wednesday. I really wanted to get it Wednesday and have everything working in it. Also, I have the ESP premium plan so if anything goes wrong I will just go back to the dealer. Also, I felt more comfortable having the dealer be responsible for any changes like that made to the new vehicle. I have to say I really like Sirius so far even though it has only been 2 days. I also feel the whole vehicle is a huge improvement over the 1999.

Boy i would hope so :rolleyes:

I am very pleased with mine, got to hit about 5" of snow with it today, no big deal

It snowed last weekend here but it was gone before I picked up my Explorer so I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 4x4 yet. I was impressed by the AWD in my wife's Freestyle though. We have a very steep driveway and I thought it handled the light snow better than my old Explorer. The true 4x4 and 4x4 L in my old Explorer was very good for deep snow and mud though. We live in an apple orchard at the top of a hill so I actually need these things to get home sometimes.

It snowed last weekend here but it was gone before I picked up my Explorer so I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 4x4 yet. I was impressed by the AWD in my wife's Freestyle though. We have a very steep driveway and I thought it handled the light snow better than my old Explorer. The true 4x4 and 4x4 L in my old Explorer was very good for deep snow and mud though. We live in an apple orchard at the top of a hill so I actually need these things to get home sometimes.

I don't "Need" it for everyday, but in the NW, you wouldn't want a 2wd.

I like be able to go just about wherever i want (within reason.. ;) )

• 2 months later...

I have called every dealer from coast to coast and nobody can do the sirius upgrade on the nav radio. Although the manufacturer, Pioneer, says it Sirius Ready nobody can do it. I bought my 06 EB for weekends and road trips and now I am regretting it. Two of the biggest features I wanted were nav and satellite radio.

I have called every dealer from coast to coast and nobody can do the sirius upgrade on the nav radio. Although the manufacturer, Pioneer, says it Sirius Ready nobody can do it. I bought my 06 EB for weekends and road trips and now I am regretting it. Two of the biggest features I wanted were nav and satellite radio.

OK that's just crazy talk, it's like saying "I am unhappy with the house we bought 'cuz the carpet is the wrong color.."

You can always change out a radio and get superior aftermarket pieces if that's what you are really after.

How does your EX drive and such, has that pleased you? :D

Great to hear but the dealer I'm working with to place an order for an 06 Limited with NAV doesn't have any info on adding factory installed Sirius... Any ideas? Hope I'm not SOL.

I built an Explorer online yesterday and not an option for Sirius... yet.

Wish XM were an option...

Did you call Gervais Ford in Ayer, MA 978-772-6600 ? Tracy in Service was the person I dealt with. I also had them put it in my wife's 2005 Freestyle, it is not really officially compatible but they got it to work. When they installed that recently I was there at the same time as the installer and got his card. Even though it was done at the dealer and I paid the dealer, it was another company that actually did the work. Automotive Resource Center in Winchester, MA 781-721-0092, Dom Fucile. I know this is far away from you but maybe they can tell you part numbers or something or will talk to your local dealer. Here are some pictures from my Explorer, maybe if you show them to your dealer they will believe it can be done.

post-20644-1139409833_thumb.jpg

post-20644-1139409862_thumb.jpg

post-20644-1139409878_thumb.jpg

PS, it is awesome, there are so many stations.

Edited by noneill

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047452

and

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.a...n=2U6F-14588-BA

are what you need for vehicles without the rear seat DVD.

if you have the rear seat DVD you need this one http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047453

Should be about $250 if you do it yourself,

They can answer any questions you have.

-

You can also get it from the factory now -- Job 2 option. option code 85B, $195 includes 6 months of service.

Edited by jasonj80

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047452

and

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.a...n=2U6F-14588-BA

are what you need for vehicles without the rear seat DVD.

if you have the rear seat DVD you need this one http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047453

Should be about $250 if you do it yourself,

They can answer any questions you have.

You can also get it from the factory now -- Job 2 option.

Your links look like a nice complete kit but I also found this, I don't know if it has all the rigt wires and connectors:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1107202268649

Did you call Gervais Ford in Ayer, MA 978-772-6600 ? Tracy in Service was the person I dealt with. I also had them put it in my wife's 2005 Freestyle, it is not really officially compatible but they got it to work. When they installed that recently I was there at the same time as the installer and got his card. Even though it was done at the dealer and I paid the dealer, it was another company that actually did the work. Automotive Resource Center in Winchester, MA 781-721-0092, Dom Fucile. I know this is far away from you but maybe they can tell you part numbers or something or will talk to your local dealer. Here are some pictures from my Explorer, maybe if you show them to your dealer they will believe it can be done.

post-20644-1139409833_thumb.jpg

post-20644-1139409862_thumb.jpg

post-20644-1139409878_thumb.jpg

PS, it is awesome, there are so many stations.

Yep. Spoke with both of them and neither was helpful. I have given up. The dealer said there is no way to do it. I told them that you had given me the information and they said they had no record. Thanks for the help though. I also emailed Ford and explained to them. Like I expected I got, "please contact your dealership for help."

Jason80 -- I spoke with Radios and More and they said that kit is ONLY for radios with hard SAT buttons not the soft type like my nav radio would have once correctly connected. They were very knowledgeable but couldn't help me.

Yep. Spoke with both of them and neither was helpful. I have given up. The dealer said there is no way to do it. I told them that you had given me the information and they said they had no record. Thanks for the help though. I also emailed Ford and explained to them. Like I expected I got, "please contact your dealership for help."

Jason80 -- I spoke with Radios and More and they said that kit is ONLY for radios with hard SAT buttons not the soft type like my nav radio would have once correctly connected. They were very knowledgeable but couldn't help me.

Call Royal Radio at (248) 548-8711 Ask for Mike in the Garage he will be able to help you they know this stuff better than anyone. They do all sorts of OEM repairs, they do repairs for dealers in the Detroit area that can't figure out why OEM systems aren't working. I'm guessing it would be similar when I hooked up my Ipod Adapter and Sirius with my Lincoln Navigation system, when the IPod Adapter is plugged in a CDDJ button appears on the Screen and Disappears when the adapter is removed, Same for the SAT button, when the receiver is hooked up I have Sound, AM, FM (1,2 push FM button to toggle between them), SAT (1,2,3 push SAT button to toggle between them), CD, CDDJ listed as options on the right side, When I remove the IPod adapter it shows me Sound, AM, FM, SAT, CD, And if I remove the SAT plug, I get Sound, AM, FM1, FM2 (now 2 separate buttons) CD. The Head unit knows what is plugged into it and will show the appropriate Icon for it.

Edited by jasonj80