Mustang GT350 Rs To Race Today

bifs66

Because without restrictions on fuel economy and emissions the mfrs had virtually no limits on engine size or power. It was easier to out muscle the competition.

And the reason they want parity is the same for all sports - if one team wins every time all the time then the other competitors stop trying and people stop watching. It's entertainment, not an engineering contest.

As I recall, Trans-AM engine size was limited to 305 cu. in; and power was determined by the design of the engine. Ford had a better designed head in the 1969/1970 Boss 302. Obviously, fuel economy, emissions, and CAFE have severely trimmed an 1970's "unlimited" Ford 302 cu. in. Boss engine from a high of 290 HP to a current puny 500+ HP. I'm little skeptical of the "it's entertainment, not an engineering contest" comment. I think there is a little more to the engineering side of the equation.

As I recall, Trans-AM engine size was limited to 305 cu. in; and power was determined by the design of the engine. Ford had a better designed head in the 1969/1970 Boss 302. Obviously, fuel economy, emissions, and CAFE have severely trimmed an 1970's "unlimited" Ford 302 cu. in. Boss engine from a high of 290 HP to a current puny 500+ HP. I'm little skeptical of the "it's entertainment, not an engineering contest" comment. I think there is a little more to the engineering side of the equation.

To the engineers on the race teams it's certainly an engineering contest. But to IMSA it is a business and that business gets revenue from ticket sales, sponsors, advertising and TV revenue - entertainment. If the racing is close and exciting they get more revenue. If it's predictable every week the non competitive teams will lose interest, the fans will lose interest and revenue will suffer. Surely that's not so difficult to understand?