Police Interceptor Utility

We have outfitted a majority of 300+ department with them. Mine doesn't have as many miles as I had a 6 month hiatus after an ankle injury. 31k on mine but others in my unit have 60k+ with no issues. Some of our first issued ones are closing in on 100k and other than some minor leaks in seals I haven't heard of anything catastrophic happening on its own. We have had several crashed units however and they are safe vehicles.

And the Panther fans swore that "nothing else will work for police use, so it must be built forever".

Edited by 630land

Treadhead:

I have been a Sherrifs Deputy for 6 years now. I started in the famous Crown Vic, been in pursuits, crashes, and rough rides in that thing. Just pure reliable those cars were. I couldn't tell you how many times I took it in the shop to find out parts were broken or bent and still drove hard and smooth.

I have been driving a Ford Explorer Utility now since 2013. It's hands down a better patrol vehicle and you heard the praise I just gave the CV. More room, better seats, faster, handles better, more capable, and just as reliable. More aggressive looking also as we drive black and whites with push bumpers. I don't know what else to say about it but if you have specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them. By the way we drive the 3.7L V6 AWD model.

Excellent and thanks! I too grew up in the Crown Vic and Caprice (21 years so far) and while the Crown Vic had its quirks I had not problem taking it anywhere. We transitioned to the "Taurus" and a minor mix of the Tahoe thrown in a couple years ago. The Taurus is great other than the small interior and trunk space. The Tahoe has plenty of room but, driving with the "Nanny" state traction control was a pain in the butt! I'm 6'3" 270 so more room is a plus. Thank you again for your response.

It's interesting to speculate which way Ford will go with engine line up too, the NA V6 is a good unit

but could Ford achieve even more sales by replacing it with say, a 2.7 Ecoboost that police rated

at say, the F150's level of 325 HP/375 lb ft?

One small efficient engine that gets the job done nicely for LEVs all with great fuel economy.

It's interesting to speculate which way Ford will go with engine line up too, the NA V6 is a good unit

but could Ford achieve even more sales by replacing it with say, a 2.7 Ecoboost that police rated

at say, the F150's level of 325 HP/375 lb ft?

One small efficient engine that gets the job done nicely for LEVs all with great fuel economy.

As long as we can speculate on how they managed the cram the 5.2L V8 from the Shelby GT350 into the PIU and we all lived happily ever after? Now, that would great!