Thoughtful Touches

Is it just me, or does it seem that Ford is completely ignorant to small, inexpensive touches that really help make a vehicle feel substantial? I’m not talking about big issues such as ergonomics or materials quality, but the smaller things, the things that cost little or nothing to institute; the things VW and Honda do so well. For instance:

* Interior lights that slowly dim as they turn off, opposed to ones that shut off abruptly. My Focus has this feature and it’s great. It should be on every new Ford.

* Damped interior grab handles.

* Passenger side mirrors that automatically lower when the vehicle is put in reverse.

* Cabin air filters. This is easy; no vehicle should be without one.

* One-touch up and down for every window. Easy and sooooo convenient.

* Sturdy, properly angled dead pedal. Cheap, easy.

* Pinch-proof power windows. Should be standard.

* Lockable glove box.

* Size-adjusting, ratcheting cup holders. Where applicable.

* Two-way folding side-view mirrors (BODY color, not black). Cheap to put on everything.

* Tilt and telescoping steering wheel. This should be standard on every vehicle.

* Manumatic transmission control. This is practically free, yet no Ford seems to offer it.

* Combination key/fob. This is available on the CD3 triplets and should be STANDARD on every vehicle. Why is Ford moving at such a glacial pace?

* Climate controlled storage compartments.

* Duplicate PRND indicator in the instrument cluster.

* Low washer fluid indicator.

* Trunk lid grip for closing the trunk (sorely lacking on the CD3s).

* Rear seat head restraints.

* Coded keys that remember each driver’s preferences (seat and mirror positions, radio presets etc.)

The inclusion of little things like these on EVERY VEHICLE could really help improve the buying public’s perception of Ford vehicles. They could really help Ford standout, or increasingly, keep up.

I Agree Admiral that alot of those features would be nice, but many of them are not inexpensive!!

I like to see many of those features you list at least available.

I have complaints about the inconsitency of features you find from one vehicle to the next. :angry:

Theatre dimming on a Focus and Mustang(not aware of what others) but not on my $40K Super Duty?

Trip Computer on a Fusion, but not on my $40K Super Duty? (Chevrolet has this standard across their lineup).

Backlit LCD PRNDL and Odometer on Escape and Focus, but VFD Odometer, and cheap looking analog PRNDL on my $40K Super Duty, F150, and Crown Vic.

LED Lighting on a Mustang, but not on any other Ford yet that I am aware of.

I would love to see the Green VFD displays go!!! I prefer the use of Backlit LCD displays.

It is time for consistent features!!!

I could rant some more, but I will save that for Later :runaway:

Guest Sixcav

Admiral, I tend to agree. The Japanesse car companies seem to be very clever at adding little touches that really enhance the vehicle and probably don't cost a bundle to add. Although I should note that some of the items you listed here my Mustang does have such as the locking glove box, slow dim lights and one touch up and down windows. Also I know that some Ford cars do have a cabin air filter becuase it's called out to replace it on applicable models under my general maintenance guide.

Look, the truth is that modern day cars compared to cars from say 30 years ago are worlds better. For instance, the Mustang, which I think is pretty sparse as far as nifty little gadgets, still has the following standard.

Power Windows (one touch)

Power Locks

Cruise Control

Adjustable Steering Wheel

Power Adjustable Seat

Traction Control System

Keyless Entry with integrated alarm

Options include the Mach 460 sound system, and the color change feature for your dash lights if you're all hot and bothered by something like that. Now we all know that most Mustangs of the 70's and 80's didn't have such features. Most of them were manual windows and locks, cruise was an option, power seats were for Linclons and Caddys and CD's and Keyless entry were a thing of the future. So we've come a long way. But I also agree that just because we've come a long way is no excuse for complaciency. These other car companies do incorporate nice little touches in there ergonomics that enhance the driving experience and I think Ford should as well.

I had a '05 for a few months when it first came out stepping down from an '03 LS, and not having Navi, A/C Seats, and the simpliest of things...automatic headlights, become a major irritant, and back to a '05 LS I went.

So I understand the frustration of not having a simple feature which you know deep down inside only costs them pennies to offer.

Ironically having friends with very unreliable VW's, when J.Mays entered the picture, I notice certain things crop up on Fords that VW had for some time. Specially the light switch which is similar to what VW uses. Also the door lock cylinder which activates (being able to close the moonroof, if you kept it at a certain position)...global window opening, etc.

But VW is a perfect example of there they load the car with thoughtful features, and great interior materials and details, but all incased in a horribly unreliable POS... The touches will get you to sign the check over, but the owner experience will kill ya ;) Talk about a great illusionist.

I had a '05 for a few months when it first came out stepping down from an '03 LS, and not having Navi, A/C Seats, and the simpliest of things...automatic headlights, become a major irritant, and back to a '05 LS I went.

So I understand the frustration of not having a simple feature which you know deep down inside only costs them pennies to offer.

Ironically having friends with very unreliable VW's, when J.Mays entered the picture, I notice certain things crop up on Fords that VW had for some time. Specially the light switch which is similar to what VW uses. Also the door lock cylinder which activates (being able to close the moonroof, if you kept it at a certain position)...global window opening, etc.

But VW is a perfect example of there they load the car with thoughtful features, and great interior materials and details, but all incased in a horribly unreliable POS... The touches will get you to sign the check over, but the owner experience will kill ya ;) Talk about a great illusionist.

I would also add that partially, these features are part of the reason that VW has so much cost problems today - and not only with the VW brand - with eir Euro SEAT and Skoda as well. Why? Cost. Piech's obsession with quality costs VW groups $$$$$$ and they still have to recover!

It is time for consistent features!!!

:runaway:

The single biggest complaint I have about Ford.... OK, one of the biggest complaints I have about Ford is everytime I change from my truck to my wives, to my kids cars I have to hunt for the lights and pray it doesn't rain. Why can't they make that consistent? I bet it would reduce cost.

Yes, VW's quality is by no means worth plagiarizing, but it appears that their new models (MKVs and new Passat) are faring quite well. Maybe they've stepped-up efforts to equal the Japanese at more than just tactile quality and clever features.