Ranger Going to China in 2018

The big challenge for pickup truck sales in China is that most large cities banned them from entering the urban zone during daytime hours because they are "commercial vehicles".

And because they are commercial vehicles, owners are required to spray paint a registration number on the lower side of front door.

This is why most of the big pickup truck players (e.g. Ford, GM, Toyota, VW) have stayed out of the high end pickup market thus far.

However, Ford is in the low end segment with its JMC brand. Nissan and Isuzu are the only foreign brands selling locally assemble pickup trucks in China right now with their JV partners.

On the engine production side, it's easy to imagine that the plants currently producing I-4 and I-5 Pumas for Ranger

and the ROW Transits, evolving to the 2.0 I-4 Ecoblue and possibly an economical 3.0 I-5 version that replaces the

3.2 I-5 version. That would leave North America open to exclusive use of the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke.

I'd imagine that the 2.0 Ecoblue will be popular in China, it does most things well enough with improved economy

over the current 2.2 liter Puma.

Edited by jpd80