Clinton Gets New Mariner Hybrid

This is a thread regarding a vehcile, not opinons regarding an ex-presidents sexual escapades. Get your hand off you 'lil willie and grow up, move on and discuss the subject. :finger:

Sorry, man - but this is not a thread regarding just a vehicle - it's a thread regarding a vehicle that a particular newsworthy guy acquired. Newsworthy for many reasons besides what car he has. If you acquired a New Mariner Hybrid, or an E - Series, for that matter, would it be news?

Lighten up, please. And stop watching my hands, it gives me the willies.

Stick to the point. Pres. Wm. Clinton bought a truck which happens to be a Ford product. Why not expand your responses on that fact? Show me you have greater character than to do the usual and expected. :blah:

Well, he didn't buy it, Ford gave it to him, which I am cool with. If they really want to make an "environmental" statement, they need to give one to Gore, too.

In fact, they should show it to Bush to prove that Detroit does make relevant vehicles.

Edited by NLPRacing

Okay, if this is the way this thread is headed, so be it. The article says it very plainly that our current President is not making time available to speak with The Big Three. If it doesn't say Iraq or terroist on it, he has no time for meaningfull discussions of domestic issues. This particular issue is of the greatest importance, jobs at home. Even if the cars are built in Mexico or Canada, it still shows his priorities are way off. He just never has and never will get. Meanwhile, people continue to joke about Bill Clinton's past escapades. The man has been out of office long enough to foucs on the current prez's performance and his continual lack of interest/support of this particular issue. So go ahead, joke about blow jobs and cheating on wives. That's cool. But never dare say anything negative about the present prez (the embarassment) as his policies are not to be questioned. Let our companies wither away and our needs be swept aside as the control of the government is in the hands of the phony swaggering cowboy who sometimes drives a Ford pick-up. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the spinmeisters. You all wanted to comment on the Bill Clinton, well here it is.....so Ford gave him a Mercury. Nice. I suppose that event in itself is indicative of the politics of the company itself. The company to which all of us want to see succeed. Now, go ahead and chew on that why don't you.

Okay, if this is the way this thread is headed, so be it. The article says it very plainly that our current President is not making time available to speak with The Big Three. If it doesn't say Iraq or terroist on it, he has no time for meaningfull discussions of domestic issues. This particular issue is of the greatest importance, jobs at home. Even if the cars are built in Mexico or Canada, it still shows his priorities are way off. He just never has and never will get. Meanwhile, people continue to joke about Bill Clinton's past escapades. The man has been out of office long enough to foucs on the current prez's performance and his continual lack of interest/support of this particular issue. So go ahead, joke about blow jobs and cheating on wives. That's cool. But never dare say anything negative about the present prez (the embarassment) as his policies are not to be questioned. Let our companies wither away and our needs be swept aside as the control of the government is in the hands of the phony swaggering cowboy who sometimes drives a Ford pick-up. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the spinmeisters. You all wanted to comment on the Bill Clinton, well here it is.....so Ford gave him a Mercury. Nice. I suppose that event in itself is indicative of the politics of the company itself. The company to which all of us want to see succeed. Now, go ahead and chew on that why don't you.

Hmmmm - I've seen the dopey, usually political, arguments in these forums, and have managed to avoid avoid getting involved even when provoked. Thanks for saying it's cool to make jokes, though I try not to use the graphic laguage that you employ regarding Clinton's achievements in office. I'll also avoid addressing your longer political rant, as I am not sure that Clinton's car has anything to do with Bush's priorities in office, and I find the constant arguing by folks who are very far from the facts and responsibilities to be counterproductive.

Before the mods move this to Korny's Korner:

I like the Mariner/Escape hybrid, in concept. Matching the popular SUV design with the trendy hybrid engine should have been a big winner, yet has not caught on as I hoped. That could be a result of the added expense, or maybe it has more to do with the well documented antipathy towards domestics on the coasts, which seems to be hybrid country. Coincidentally, and maybe this should have been the point of this thread from the beginning, the same parts of the country (eg the coasts) that Ford needs to win back, are Clinton country. Probably the goodwill among his fans is worth the giveaway, even more so if he actually is seen driving it in the future.

If this works out, they ought to pass one on to my Governor, Jon Corzine, as he is considered influential, as well. Then move on to Ted Kennedy..... scratch that, hopefully he has a driver.

It seems that some people automatically refer to a polticians accomplishments or lack thereof when their name is mentioned. It's a knee-jerk reaction or conditioned response if you will. If the hybrid concept takes off and Ford has a good one, that should be more important. Don't you agree?

It seems that some people automatically refer to a polticians accomplishments or lack thereof when their name is mentioned. It's a knee-jerk reaction or conditioned response if you will. If the hybrid concept takes off and Ford has a good one, that should be more important. Don't you agree?

Yes.

I'm not totally sold on hybrids, though, being a bit old fashioned, and a fan of simplicity. If the same amount of effort were put into weight reduction and efficient transmissions, and if people could accept less than 200 something HP as a baseline for a family sedan, plenty of fuel savings might result.

I'm rooting for Ford to pull through this tough patch, and I'm glad you are, too.

I thought it was interesting that both Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich had vintave Ford Mustangs in the '90s. Bill's was a 6-cylinder '67 convertible and Newt had a '65-'66 GT

Those first few Mustang generations really did shake things up a bit - Have you parked yours next to a new one yet? I'd like to see the size difference, side by side. I love the new design, and I'm sure it's much easier to take care of a modern car, but they seem a wee bit too large. It would be interesting to see Ford handing out Mustangs to influential people - if you see Clinton in a Mariner, your eyes might glaze over, but in a Mustang, that would be something people would remember.

Yes.

I'm not totally sold on hybrids, though, being a bit old fashioned, and a fan of simplicity. If the same amount of effort were put into weight reduction and efficient transmissions, and if people could accept less than 200 something HP as a baseline for a family sedan, plenty of fuel savings might result.

I'm rooting for Ford to pull through this tough patch, and I'm glad you are, too.

I am certain that this time, not like the 1970's, small cars that are built will be here to stay. Modern technology exists today that makes small car much more efficient in every catagory. There should be no reason why Ford can excell in a small car program that people will want to buy. I sort of feel that hybrids are a ban-aid, they may not last. But conventional, modernized designs should do the trick!

P.S. I was born in the S. Bronx. Are you in eastern N.J., or western? I have relatives in River Edge and Freehold.

Edited by 156n3rd