MKZ mileage announced

igor

Lincoln site was updated, and MKZ info is up ... inclunding the mileage:

FWD: 19/27 mpg

AWD: 18/26 mpg ...

Ford those that want to check it out - MKZ is now part of the "reach higher" section of Lincoln.com - click on specification -> drivetrain

V6 COMPETITORS:

2007 Lexus ES350 -- FWD -- 21/30 mpg -- PREMIUM gas -- 6speed AUTO -- 3.5l V6

2006 Infinity G35 Sedan -- RWD -- 18/25 -- Regular gas -- 5speed AUTO -- 3.5l V6 (2007 G35 MPG was not announced yet)

2006 Acura TL -- FWD -- 20/29 -- PREMIUM gas -- 5speed AUTO -- 3.2l V6

2006 Audi A4 or A6 -- FWD -- 21/29 -- PREMIUM gas -- CVT -- 3.1l V6

2006 Audi A4 or A6 -- AWD -- 19/27 -- PREMUM gas -- CVT -- 3.1l V6

2005 BMW 330i -- RWD -- 21/29 -- PREMIUM gas -- 6speed AUTO -- 3.0l V6

(in BMW there is also a 330ci, and a lower mileage 330i - I was looking this up on Fueleconomy.gov - and from their data, I could not tell the difference.)

BMW 330xi -- AWD -- 20/29 -- PREMIUM gas -- 6speed AUTO -- 3.0l V6

Cadillac CTS -- RWD -- 18/27 -- Regular gas -- 6speed AUTO -- 3.6l V6

There you have it ..

Igor

Edited by igor

I thought the 3.5 was supposed to get better mileage? It's worse.

In this particular application, the Cyclone V6 is hauling a two-ton SUV. Not exactly conducive to good fuel economy.

Check out its mileage in the Lincoln Mark Z. That would be a much better indication.

Btw, that's better fuel economy than the Duratec 30 in the Ford Escape-- a smaller vehicle!

Edited by calypsocoral

In this particular application, the Cyclone V6 is hauling a two-ton SUV. Not exactly conducive to good fuel economy.

Check out its mileage in the Lincoln Mark Z. That would be a much better indication.

Btw, that's better fuel economy than the Duratec 30 in the Ford Escape-- a smaller vehicle!

Calypso - I wish you were right - but this IS the MarkZ - the fusion cousin .... not the MKX SUV.

And yo uare right about the Escape, but that vehicles still uses 4speed Auto, which is likely the root cause of the low mileage.

Igor

Edited by igor

I noticed something odd. If you look at the MKZ, it shows the HP as 263. But if you check the MKX, it's at 265. Why would that be??

Personally, I was hoping for closer to 20/30 for MPG on this engine. With the Edge coming in at almost a 1000lbs heavier, I don't know how it would get "better" than the MKZ. The wife and I really really want this Edge, but the MPG is a dissappointment if it comes in at this level.

After talking about it, we've still decided we want the Edge enough in spite of this. And we've been comparing everything Ford from Focus, Fusion, 500, and Grand Marquis. The Edge still fits what we want most. I guess MPG ends up being third priority after style and versatility. I just hope the ride is good, otherwise we'll be back to thinking again...

a couple of HP differences beween applications usually result from exhaust and intake routing ...

both MKZ and MKX/Edge have single exhaust (with dual tip), but there is a chance the routing in MKX/Edge is less restrictive.

Now - if they made a car that can handle a true double exhaust, you could see some 5-15hp jump.

Igor

• 3 weeks later...
Calypso - I wish you were right - but this IS the MarkZ - the fusion cousin .... not the MKX SUV.

And yo uare right about the Escape, but that vehicles still uses 4speed Auto, which is likely the root cause of the low mileage.

Igor

I believe the reason for the Escape's lower mileage isn't the transmision but the aerodynamics.

• 2 weeks later...

Igor

-------------------------------------------------

Again, more proof the new Lincoln names are a bad idea.